Romans 4:5

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
"5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness."

Am i understanding this verse right? Faith is more important than work? I know this isn't what we believe because it says in James that Faith without work is Dead so why would this verse say this? I could be taking it out of context, but i am genuinely confused.

Comments

• In this verse, St Paul is fighting those who rely on the works of the law from purification, sacrifices, ...

Good works are essential For salvation.

• St Paul is also saying to trust God in that he is been righteous in bringing sinners to salvation. Having faith in him to do so we are relying on faith not just the works.
  • So let me just summarize what i learned from imikhail's post and Joshuaa's post and tell me if I am correct:

St. Paul said this to rebuke the people who focus more on the works then on the faith itself, and he also means it in that the individual needs to rely on God to do His part after we have done our part.

Thanks for the responses by the way, it is helping me to understand St. Paul's style of word choice and how he means it because my problem sometimes is that i understand it wrong.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=13553.msg157989#msg157989 date=1343021280]
    So let me just summarize what i learned from imikhail's post and Joshuaa's post and tell me if I am correct:

St. Paul said this to rebuke the people who focus more on the works then on the faith itself, and he also means it in that the individual needs to rely on God to do His part after we have done our part.

Thanks for the responses by the way, it is helping me to understand St. Paul's style of word choice and how he means it because my problem sometimes is that i understand it wrong.

The works that vast. Paul addressing here are the works of the Mosaic law that the Jews thought that through them they may gain righteousness. These have nothing to do with the good works like those mentioned in Matt 25.

The good works are essential for salvation but these are not the ones that St. Paul is addressing here.
  • There's a common saying about this, it's: 'Faith without deeds is dead'. Meaning one complements the other and are equally important but one without the other is pointless.
  • [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=13553.msg157992#msg157992 date=1343024110]
    There's a common saying about this, it's: 'Faith without deeds is dead'. Meaning one complements the other and are equally important but one without the other is pointless.

That's not just a common saying, it's a quote from the Bible, James 2:14-26.
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=13553.msg157993#msg157993 date=1343027122]
    [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=13553.msg157992#msg157992 date=1343024110]
    There's a common saying about this, it's: 'Faith without deeds is dead'. Meaning one complements the other and are equally important but one without the other is pointless.

That's not just a common saying, it's a quote from the Bible, James 2:14-26.

Thanks alot JG, I never knew the actual bible reference!