Very strong temptation

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Ok this is going to sound very embarassing but I have been struggling with lust.I just cant help but want to do sinful things to women I encounter on a day to day basis.This is serious a addiction. I masterbate at least minimum 9 times a day....and that's just a conservative figure. Even in my anatomy lab a in university we were identifying parts on a female cadavar and I had to go to the bathroom for a "break". This is a serious issue and this could impact my professional life. It could even impact my personal life. My mom walked in my room and caught me in the act, pants/underwear were off.She just closed the door and pretended like nothing happened. I feel so ashamed and disgusted at myself. Please I need some practicle adivice in terms of quitting.I go to church and pray/confess but the sin is so strong, even as I am typing this right now I'm beginning to feel some discomfort/pressure down there :-[. I really want to quit please tell me how.I'm mostly interested in adivice from those who have been in the same situation as me and were able to rise above it.

Comments

• In my opinion I see only one real way to combat masturbation (speaking from personal experience). You have to see it as a filthy act (if you enjoy its then you 100% wont stop it) and you must see it as a act that is hurting and is a placing a barrier between you and God. My humble opinion is to look at the big picture, realise that God see's the first move you make until the very last one. Can you stand to know that God is watching you every single second you are committing this act? God doesn't blink and doesn't turn away. See that every time you do masturbate you whip the body of Christ, make his cross heavier, push the crown of thorns deeper into his skull and drive a nail deeper into hand.
    Here it is simple: Masturbation is a Sin that if continued while you are conscience and alert about it (as I assume you are now) will lead to a very dark and dangerous place. But don't you dare be dismayed. "Christ Jesus come into the world to save the sinners of whom I am the worst" 1 Timothy 1:15. Please endure, for I promise that your reward will be so great brother. It will be a reward of salvation and a life with Jesus Christ and God. "Those who endure to the end will be saved" Matthew 24:13

And three things:
    - Fool yourself into stopping, try your hardest to say you'll stop just for one day (if your Christian maybe the day you have communion) and if you do, build on the experience.
    - Carry a picture of Jesus on the Cross with you, look at it when your get the urge and you should find it hard to go. But if you do when your done look at it again. Burn with humility and let the Holy Spirit knock in your soul, let it tell you to stop.
    - Don't take my word as Gospel, this is just my own rubbish, humble, advice trying to help a brother out. Talk to a priest, they will help you beyond belief.

God Bless you and be with you.
  • Hey,

Whenever you're have a "discomfort feeling down there" go and sit with your parents or someone else. Tell yourself I'll do it later, but I first gotta talk to my parents, hear a song, watch a film etc. In order to conquer this feeling, you MUST live a PURE life. I mean, whenever you see a girl walking in the street just watch the other way. Stop saying "Funny things" which are full of sexism. Do not watch films that got kissing scenes.

Try living a pure life, pray and eventually if you can't stop it, fast some days for it.

P.S. You'll be in a big fight, so you're gonna fall a lot. It's Okay. Try to increase the time between 2 "acts" next time.
  • Ahem I know it's a shameful act. Once if one get addicted to this act it's impossible to return from it. The only way you can abate from this act is to get scared from God. He is watching all your doer's and he knows that there is a punishment for wrong act. Just listen to the will of God and you will notice it will fade away soon.
  • Read the bible a lot and make sure you are occupied by something at all times don’t sit around doing nothing because that’s when you can fall the most! Whenever you feel temptation coming say "My Lord Jesus Christ help me, my Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me, I praise you my Lord Jesus Christ. Also put a rubber band on your wrist and every time you get tempted pull the rubber band and let it sting you. The pain for one second will let you forget about the temptation. its better to have little pain on your wrist on earth, then to have everlasting pain in hell.
  • I also agree with what Markmarcos has suggested. Read as many times Bible you can to abate from temptation. An idle mind has a devil mind inside. So forget to sit idle and indulge in some  sort of work. No matter how the work is but give your mind some sort of pressure so that it allow you to think of this act. You may also go to some priest and tie some thread on your head so that evil spirit  leaves your body.
  • I appreciate the advice guys. The thing is my body doesnt feel phsiologicaly balanced when I dont do it. My body is addicted to it, expecially since I have been committing this act since I was 10 years old. I will try to keep myself busy that seems like the most practical advice I have recieved. Anybody else  here was actually addicted to it and stopped? If so what did you do?
  • Our Lord Jesus Christ says the only way to get rid of certain demons is through fasting and praying.
    That is why Monks and Ascetics spend so much time in fasting and prayer.
    We r all human and it is human to err.

So, I would suggest u start a serious fast and prayer from the Agpeya.
    U will struggle and mayb relapse, but just keep striving and God will help u and send to u the people and resources to help u overcome.

God bless u
  • [quote author=Nickisreal link=topic=13538.msg157967#msg157967 date=1342912224]
    I appreciate the advice guys. The thing is my body doesnt feel phsiologicaly balanced when I dont do it. My body is addicted to it, expecially since I have been committing this act since I was 10 years old. I will try to keep myself busy that seems like the most practical advice I have recieved. Anybody else  here was actually addicted to it and stopped? If so what did you do?

I wouldn't try give a logical explanation for a illogical act because then you'll just form an excuse.
    Almost all teens go through this phase myself inclusive but as for myself and most other cases, its caused by having too much free time in which you get bored and allow the devil to tempt you. Personally, I adopted saying and repeating (quickly) the first verse of Psalm 70 when I got tempted, which is: 'Make haste, O God, to deliver me! Make haste to help me O Lord'. It usually snapped me out of it.

God Bless
  • I have heard before that the root of the issue may be linked to pride- that this sin, which revolves around self-gratification, can only be stopped when the person first takes on their pride and puts that in check.
  • [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=13538.msg157996#msg157996 date=1343029712]
    [quote author=Nickisreal link=topic=13538.msg157967#msg157967 date=1342912224]
    I appreciate the advice guys. The thing is my body doesnt feel phsiologicaly balanced when I dont do it. My body is addicted to it, expecially since I have been committing this act since I was 10 years old. I will try to keep myself busy that seems like the most practical advice I have recieved. Anybody else  here was actually addicted to it and stopped? If so what did you do?

Good answer but actually I am not a teen. I am 22 years old and about to graduate college in a month.I dont think it is as simple as a "phase" but overall good advice. Thanks guys for the help.
    I wouldn't try give a logical explanation for a illogical act because then you'll just form an excuse.
    Almost all teens go through this phase myself inclusive but as for myself and most other cases, its caused by having too much free time in which you get bored and allow the devil to tempt you. Personally, I adopted saying and repeating (quickly) the first verse of Psalm 70 when I got tempted, which is: 'Make haste, O God, to deliver me! Make haste to help me O Lord'. It usually snapped me out of it.

God Bless