English books of St. Isaac The Syrian online?

edited July 2012 in Random Issues
Does anyone know where to purchase the books of St. Isaac The Syrian online? And if you do know, any recommendations/links?  :)

God Bless You All!

Weakest of all,
(John 3:16)

Comments

• Isaac the Syrian is Chalcedonian and is not a saint within the OO Church.
  • Isaac the Syrian was a bishop and monk of the Church of the East.

His writings were to be found in many of the Egyptian desert monastery libraries and he remains an outstanding guide to the spiritual life.

You can obtain his Mystical Treatises here...

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/orthodoxlibrary?searchTerms=Isaac
  • There are many saints within the OO Curch who have excellent writings on the Spiritual life. Examples include, St Macarius, St Anthony, st philoxenus, St Pachomius, ... I'd advise to read for those canonized saints before going outside.
  • You can also find his Mystical Treatises here and here in the public domain.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=13542.msg157887#msg157887 date=1342730973]
    There are many saints within the OO Curch who have excellent writings on the Spiritual life. Examples include, St Macarius, St Anthony, st philoxenus, St Pachomius, ... I'd advise to read for those canonized saints before going outside.

H.H. Pope Cyril VI loved the spiritual writings of Mar Isaac, to the extent that he wrote out his works at least 4 times by hand in order to better commit them to his memory. H.H. Pope Shenouda III also re-copied Mar Isaac several times himself.
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=13542.msg157892#msg157892 date=1342731676]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=13542.msg157887#msg157887 date=1342730973]
    There are many saints within the OO Curch who have excellent writings on the Spiritual life. Examples include, St Macarius, St Anthony, st philoxenus, St Pachomius, ... I'd advise to read for those canonized saints before going outside.

H.H. Pope Cyril VI loved the spiritual writings of Mar Isaac, to the extent that he wrote out his works at least 4 times by hand in order to better commit them to his memory. H.H. Pope Shenouda III also re-copied Mar Isaac several times himself.

You are confused between Mar Efram the Syrian and this Isaac the Syrian. It was the former that Pope Cyril copied.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=13542.msg157893#msg157893 date=1342731846]
    You are confused between Mar Efram the Syrian and this Isaac the Syrian. It was the former that Pope Cyril copied.

Not according to the book in my hand...

Do you have a source?
  • I dont understand why this is difficult. His name is Saint Isaac the Syrian. He is a saint. Why is it so complicated? you dont have to be oriental orthodox christian to be a saint.
  • Up until now we use the commentary and words of people like Origen, and Tertulian. And those books are written by Bishops and priests. Not only aren't they considered saints but they are considered heretics by many people and the church but we use their teachings
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=13542.msg157893#msg157893 date=1342731846]
    [quote author=JG link=topic=13542.msg157892#msg157892 date=1342731676]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=13542.msg157887#msg157887 date=1342730973]

http://books.google.ca/books?id=eJ2VXj50hn4C&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=pope+kyrillos&source=bl&ots=Yr012Cy09l&sig=CcYkBnYYw3fu-dssdrsKrMcWyDQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3JsIUI3dBOO46wH9qo2IBQ&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=pope kyrillos&f=false

"He studied the writing of Mari Isaac the Syrian, which guided him on a right spiritual path"

"Likewise, he never grew tired of reading the books of St. Mari Isaac the Syrian, although he memorized most of them, and transcribed them several times"
  • [quote author=christ_rose link=topic=13542.msg157896#msg157896 date=1342739744]
    Up until now we use the commentary and words of people like Origen, and Tertulian. And those books are written by Bishops and priests. Not only aren't they considered saints but they are considered heretics by many people and the church but we use their teachings

So what is the point?

The point is that I have to be full with my Church teaching, through reading her fathers. Then I can read others. But if I start with the others and I am not firm of my Church teachings, then there is the risk of absorbing foreign teaching.