Sponsor an Egyptian student

The London School of Orthodox Christian Studies is often contacted by potential students from Egypt, Ethiopia, and even from Western countries, who would benefit from taking part in our Orthodox Education programme but cannot afford the course fee. Thanks to the generosity of several supporters we have been able to provide 6 sponsored enrollments, and a number of partial sponsorships to such students.

But we have many more, especially from Egypt and Ethiopia, who have asked for sponsorship. We would like to be able to offer 25 completely free places to Egyptian and Ethiopian students, but we need your support. Please visit our sponsorship page and consider making a partial or complete contribution to a disadvantaged students fees. All sponsorship funds will be used immediately to enable students to join our programmes.

http://www.lsocs.co.uk/sponsor.php

Comments

• My Dear Father,

It is a wonderful idea, and a wonderful academic service.

You are something else!

I will take advantage of the opportunity for this blessing and will be able to extend for five of the 25 spots.  I put out the challenge to others on this site to carry forward for the overall good of the Church.  For the many who have stated fervently their hopes for the Church, this is a way to help the overall advancement.  Through knowledge of Our Lord, we become the Church, and through the Church we will find salvation.

Father:  a big kiss to your sweet fatherly cheek.
  • The Lord bless you for your generosity.

I am hoping that allowing students from Egypt to participate in the studies might give a sense of hope and looking forward to the future in the middle of very difficult circumstances. If I can find support for 25 of these potential Coptic and other disadvantaged students then it will be a start and perhaps more could be included in the future.

God bless you very much indeed

Father Peter
  • I sent it already.  Check the PayPal.

The number is down to 20.
  • God bless you. I wish that I could embrace you warmly.
  • If people are not able to sponsor a student themselves, or partially sponsor a student, then perhaps it might be a blessing that your congregation would consider offering to an Egyptian at this time. Maybe you could speak to your priest or the lead deacons in your church.

I am aware that there is not a lot I can do for Orthodox brothers and sisters in the Coptic Orthodox Church in Egypt, but opening up the programme of studies as a gift is perhaps one way I can be involved, and others as well by supporting these students.

I now have an agent organisation in place in Egypt who will help me organise Coptic students in Egypt through the process of registration etc.
  • Thanks to God, and the generosity of his servants, the first 7 places have been sponsored, 18 to go in this first trial group.

Do consider sharing this opportunity with your congregation and priests.

I have established an agency in Egypt with a reputable Orthodox publishing and education organisation who are helping to ensure that those who will benefit are able to take part.
  • As some more sponsors have come forward, thanks be to God, I am considering offering any congregation that sponsors some of these students from Egypt, the wider Middle East, and wherever there are problems in affording Orthodox Studies a copy of the ebook of my collection of essays 'Orthodox Christology' for all those members of that congregation who would like one.

Do please ask your priest and senior deacons if they would like to support this project.
  • I'm grateful that 256 people have looked at this page.

I've not heard if any Coptic congregations would be willing to even part sponsor an Egyptian student, so do please ask at Church if this would be possible.

God bless
  • It seems sadly that there is not much Coptic support for this project of offering Coptic students in Egypt the opportunity to take up classes in Orthodox Christian Studies. I am very grateful to those who have contributed sponsorship now, and in the past.

I do want to press on with the project because I am in touch with prospective students who do have good enough English to benefit, even if with additional support, and who just cannot afford any fee because of their circumstances. It does seem to me to be one thing that I can do, where I can do so little for brethren in Egypt.

I am wondering if I should approach non-Coptic organisations and charities instead, perhaps Anglican and Catholic ones here in the UK, to see if this sort of program fits into any of their development profiles? I am aware of several non-Orthodox agencies that do support the Church in the Middle East quite significantly. Does anyone have any experience of approaching such charities with projects?
  • you can see with other orthodox churches like the armenian, indian, syrian... etc. for the donations. and they can be interested in joining the school too.
  • Yes, I could ask the Syrians, Indians and Armenians, but since I was particularly wishing to support Coptic Egyptian students I was hoping and expecting that Copts would want to support this project - beyond the few generous people who have made a commitment.
  • Does the project of supporting Egyptian Coptic students not have any support?

Have I misunderstood something?

I am certainly in touch with English speaking Egyptians who cannot afford to live, let alone study, and for whom this opportunity is a welcome one. But it seems that hardly any one else thinks so?

I have a publishing and educational organisation in Egypt which is also very supportive of the idea and is about to become an agent of the LSOCS. They also believe there is a need.

I have many people who have LIKED the idea on Facebook, but it seems that no-one wants to take it further. I am not sure that anyone has spoken to anyone in their congregations, or elsewhere. I had thought that Copts would be very keen to support Copts, and it is a little confusing after having the generous support here of one who's judgement I trust completely it seems that not many other share his opinion about the project?

I don't post this as a criticism, but because it is confusing. I can understand that Copts might want to primarily support other Copts, especially at this time, and from the number of likes etc and even messages of support, it seems that people think it a good idea. But there is no real support, which is confusing? I cannot easily support Copts in Egypt in any other way than this at present. What am I missing?
  • Maybe people do not think that theological training is important
  • I think the answer is quite obvious.
  • Thanks be to God, another 8 student places have been sponsored.

I believe that this is confirmation that this project is according to God's will.

Glory to God in his servants.
  • Another English-speaking Egyptian student wanted to register today but could not afford the course fees, but thank God he will be able to begin studying thanks to the generosity of those who are supporting this project.

More support is needed.
  • Abouna, I think you should post on the site, like have a page for it or something on the home page, on why studying theology is important. Why should knowing about monasticism be important. Why would someone want to participate in the school? some nice inspiring words (maybe a short sermon on this) may be of great benefit to the project!
  • or maybe even posting a sermon (if there is any) by H. H. Pope Shenouda III that talks about the importance of studying the faith, etc. I think you get my point now. lol
  • That's perhaps a good idea.

My immediate response would be that it would be strange that people would commit so much time and effort to gaining an education about things which are not of eternal value, and would not seek to become well educated in matters that have eternal consequences and are to do with our faith. Clearly we all believe in education, it is therefore a matter of asking why gaining an increasing education in the matters of our Faith could be neglected.

I believe very strongly that gaining such an increasing education in our Faith is something that we should be committed to throughout our life and it is something that I am still engaged in myself.
  • You should make a sermon! And maybe mention education and studying in the Bible (although I wouldn't know much about that).
  • I am still looking to find sponsorship for Egyptian and other students.

I don't know if anyone here has mentioned this project to anyone? It would be helpful if you did. Please ask your priests and deacons to consider supporting this project.

The London School of Orthodox Christan Studies is pleased to announce that it has entered into a official Agency agreement with Panarion Company in Cairo, who will help the registration of Egyptian students, and manage the dispersement of partial and full sponsorship places.

Panarion Company
    47, Cleopatra st., Salah El-Din Square.
    Horus Centre 2nd Floor
    Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt.

Telefax: +2 02 24143106
    Mobile: 002 012222 55 383
    email: [email protected]

www.lsocs.co.uk/sponsor.php?1
  • Can you help to Sponsor a Coptic Student

If you cannot, will you speak today to someone who could?

The Sponsor a Coptic Student project is seeking to raise sponsor funds to allow Coptic Orthodox in Egypt to join the online, distance learning courses of the London School of Orthodox Christian Studies at a much reduced cost, or even in some cases to cover all of the costs.

The London School of Orthodox Christian Studies is often contacted by potential students from Egypt, Ethiopia, and even from Western countries, who would benefit from taking part in our online Orthodox Education programme but cannot afford the course fee. Thanks to the generosity of several supporters we have been able to provide 13 sponsored enrollments, and a number of partial sponsorships to such students.

But we have many more, especially from Egypt and Ethiopia, who have asked for sponsorship. We would like to be able to offer 50 completely free places to Egyptian and Ethiopian students, but we need your support. Please visit our sponsorship page and consider making a partial or complete contribution to a disadvantaged students fees. All sponsorship funds will be used immediately to enable students to join our programmes.

Will you ask your friends and family, priest and congregation if they are interested in sponsoring an Egyptian student? It will just take a moment, but will make a great difference to one of our sponsored students. Will YOU consider making even a partial spnsorship, or taking up one of our courses yourself.

All those able to support an Egyptian Christian in taking up these studies will receive a free ebook copy of my volume of collected papers , 'Orthodox Christology'.

http://www.lsocs.co.uk/sponsor.php?1
  • I am a little disappointed that there have been 850 views of this thread but only a handful of sponsors have come forward.

Has anyone spoken to anyone about this? Even if they are unable to participate themselves? Has anyone spoken to their priest or senior deacons?

I guess I am confused at the lack of support, especially when the project is directed towards helping those in Egypt who are members of our own Church?
  • There is still an urgent and pressing need to raise sponsorship funds to allow potential students from Egypt, elsewhere in the Middle East, and disadvantaged students from around the world to access the online, distance learning courses of the London School of Orthodox Christian Studies at a much reduced cost through bursaries. We are trying to raise funds to initially allow 50 such students to participate, but presently we have only received sponsorship for 14.

Do please consider if you can make a small donation, or can share this project with family, friends and clergy to raise the complete funds required.

There is more information, and a means of making a donation at:

www.lsocs.co.uk/sponsor.php
  • Egyptians are opposed to anything produced by converts unfortunately Abouna. Either they are just plain leary of anyone from outside of their ethnicity or they carry that Pharaonic arrogance and pride, I tend to think the latter to be honest.

Many Copts, not all of them of course, but the vast majority of them, go to church for a social club. They outwardly act like they are Orthodoxy but are vehemently opposed to anyone, especially converts, who attempt to make a difference. Getting a Copt to donate money is like pulling teeth. Actually just getting them to care or even listen would be a win! If you were a bishop they would give you tons of money so they can look good. Seriously, these people treat the church like a bath house sometimes, just a place to go. And they are always late, but when there is a bishop, they put on their best clothes and best perfumes and come early and then the devout people have no place to sit so the copts can all look good for their bishop. Because we all know thats how you get into heaven right, impressing a bishop.

They don't stop and think, you receive the body and blood of CHRIST! Yet you show up on time whenever there is a bishop. I hate to tell you Abouna but converts are not welcome in the Coptic church, not one bit. As wonderful as this school is and as much as I have learned from it, the copts don't care. If you made some kind of chat room where they can get together and pat themselves on the back for being coptic, then I think you would have tons of supporters but realistically its not going to happen. Copts are spiritually lazy, leaving us scratching our heads. If it were not for great Popes like Pope Kyrillos the 6th, what would you people even have?

Sorry but its the truth, just blatantly ungrateful people who are clearly not welcoming to converts, yet they blast protestant music all over CYC in a cheap attempt to whore themselves to protestants to say "hey we are cool, we are hip". Its really a cruel joke for us Abouna. It saddens me, the amount of work you have done and nobody seems to care, its no wonder I never see visitors come back to our church. Its no wonder people go to the EO. I mean essentially we are pushed off to the side and ostracized for being non-egyptian.

I expect a bit of criticism from this post, go ahead. Can you really deny the facts of the above said statements?
  • Io,

Unfortunately,  I cannot find a flaw in anything you have written.
    Unfortunately, you are correct.
    Unfortunately, I have to echo everything you said.