Coptic Corner App (CTV/Agapy TV, Music, Books, Synaxarium)

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Peace,

May I draw your attention to anyone who wishes to watch CTC or Agapy TV to the iPhone app: Coptic Corner -

No registration required. Just watch live video streams.

The app also contains a library of contemporary books on theology and spirituality.

An Android version will be out very soon.

The next release of Coptic Corner - (expected in 2 days) will have a very large audio library with lyrics and optimized video streaming.

if you have any comments, please do not hesitate to email me:

[email protected].

The turnaround time for new features is very small, so if you have any requests, please do not hesitate to ask.

Comments

• If you really want the app to succeed fully, I suggest diving into the Android Market. Many apps that are on iPhone only become famous once they are available cross-platform and all smartphone users can access it.
  • Excellent! I've been waiting for something like this to show up in the app store. I can already watch CTV on my iPhone via the channel's site but I never found a way to watch Aghapy.
    And I just bought your app but I hope that you include Arabic and Coptic audio and books-this will REALLY draw every one's attention!

Keep up the good work!
  • I really like this idea. I like how it would provide everything in one. Is there any costs?
  • Thank you all for your kind comments.

I wanted to make the app free, but because we have a pretty good Audio Streaming server, with lots of hymns, we had to make sure that we could maintain it.

Also, a lot of books are on there. The books are all free to read via the iPhone, or iPAD, but we needed a way where we can pay the book authors and publishers a commission for their books.

Many of them did not intend to have their work on PDF, but they ought to be paid for it - simply because it would help them publish more books.

With the Funeral of the Pope on Tuesday, the priority was getting people who have no satellite TV, access to the essential channels to share in this event. Its a very sad time.

As for the Android build, I'm debugging this right now.

I really want to evangelize our faith - with His Holiness passing away, more people are getting to know the Coptic Orthodox Church, and Orthodoxy.

I work hard, and can develop features very quickly, so your feedback will help in shaping this app.

Thank you
  • Excellent app. Excellent work.

May God bless your service.

• Hi,

[quote author=morcousw link=topic=13048.msg153286#msg153286 date=1332138863]
    Excellent app. Excellent work.

Thanks for your comment.

I would like to ask for some help.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a synopsis on the Coptic Church so I could put in the app. I need something short, to the point and attracts people's attention. Please remember that those who may use this app may want to know more about the Orthodox faith.

I put something in there, but I think its too long winded.

I need an intro into Coptic Music also - in fact, if you have any hymns you want me to upload please let me know. I just realized that the Audio Streaming is working. Its an old version, and a new one is out soon. Its very good, even on low bandwidth connection.

My biggest (BIGGEST) problem is this:

Aghapy & Coptic TV are both Arabic Channels, with VERY limited English subtitles. How can I overcome this? How can I reach out to non Arabic speaking people?

• [quote author=CopticCorner link=topic=13048.msg153294#msg153294 date=1332180742]
    Hi,

[quote author=morcousw link=topic=13048.msg153286#msg153286 date=1332138863]
    Excellent app. Excellent work.

Thanks for your comment.

I would like to ask for some help.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a synopsis on the Coptic Church so I could put in the app. I need something short, to the point and attracts people's attention. Please remember that those who may use this app may want to know more about the Orthodox faith.

I put something in there, but I think its too long winded.

I need an intro into Coptic Music also - in fact, if you have any hymns you want me to upload please let me know. I just realized that the Audio Streaming is working. Its an old version, and a new one is out soon. Its very good, even on low bandwidth connection.

My biggest (BIGGEST) problem is this:

Aghapy & Coptic TV are both Arabic Channels, with VERY limited English subtitles. How can I overcome this? How can I reach out to non Arabic speaking people?

CYC!

Thanks for such effort.
  • And if you can't live stream CYC, their YouTube channel has pretty much every program they've ever aired.
  • If anyone wishes to see and share in the Funeral tomorrow, and does not have access to a PC, Apple have, as of today, expedited the full release of Coptic Corner App that allows HQ streaming from Coptic TV and Aghapy TV Satellite Stations.

• [quote author=morcousw link=topic=13048.msg153312#msg153312 date=1332189936]
    And if you can't live stream CYC, their YouTube channel has pretty much every program they've ever aired.

Excellent app...
  • I just wanted to give my apologies for the service outage today - TV streaming/News Feeds & Synaxarium are working normally.

The Books of His Holiness and Mp3 streaming with lyrics should be back shortly.

• I wish there was a Coptic channel for my Roku.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13048.msg153494#msg153494 date=1332398789]
    I wish there was a Coptic channel for my Roku.

I think there's CYC. Or it's coming soon on Roku.
  • Hi,

The services are now fully up and running. My apologies again for any disruption.

I know there are a lot of techy people here, and I must admit, I'm quite humbled by the calibre of ingenuity i've seen from a lot of coptic sites like CopticHymns, Tasbeha.org etc. I find it hard to fathom why the Church doesn't use the brilliant brainpower of her youth before embarking on projects.

We can all help each other.

If we are to build sites to share information about our faith, there ought to be standards which we should adhere to. There ought to be a consortium of technical expertise within the Church to agree on formats between us.

What's Roku?
  • [quote author=CopticCorner link=topic=13048.msg153499#msg153499 date=1332406371]

What's Roku?

It's a multimedia streaming player that can play online channels such as YouTube, NetFlix or Hulu.
  • Dear Fr. Peter,

Thanks for allowing us to add your Podcasts to our app's Orthodox PodPlayer. There is now a direct link for you. Users can switch between hearing your sermons and those of other excellent Orthodox priests at the touch of a button.

I found your podcasts addictive. You raised subjects that are very important. This is exactly the material i'm looking at adding: Comparative Theology.

I must admit, I did find Orthodox Sermons quite intriguing also.

God bless your efforts.

Release Candidate 1.0.3 is now out with the following features:

--> A very large eBook Library with a search engine helping you search by Title/Author/Language
    --> We have Italian books/English books
    --> You can now read books in PDF/HTMLViewer/ or using iBooks on your iPad or iPhone.
    --> We've added the passion week there.

--> There's now an PodCast player with the ability to select from a range of Podcasts from our favorite sites:
    --> Orthodox sermons.org
    --> Fr. Peter Farrington,
    --> Bishop Angaelos
    --> Bishop Moussa
    --> H.Holiness Pope Shenouda.

To have your PodCast added - please go http://www.CopticCorner.com/ and read the instructions on how to have CopticCorner distribute the podcasts to your site.

We now have a Global Newsroom
    --> Feeds come in from Google/YouTube/Yahoo/Twitter and you can see what every single news paper/radio station/person is saying about the Coptic Church and what is going on.

--> For the TV, we've added Maqar TV.
    --> We are working with CYC also for future releases of CopticCorner.

--> The TV has been optimized even further and with sharper response times. We are using native iPhone video streaming classes which give us more control over the image and the usability than just a web view (For those who had version 1.0).

We are open to suggestions and are at your service.

God bless,

The CopticCorner Team.

Ps. In terms of PodCasts, the following Churches have been selected - this was mainly due to the content they produced. However, I will remove some of them as we now have a requirements list that any Church wishing add itself in our PodPlayer needs to respect certain criteria.

--> Orthodox Sermons.ORG
    --> Fr. Peter Farrington
    --> Saint Demiana, USA
    --> Saint Peter's & St Paul's - USA
    --> St Mark's London (UK)
    --> Coptic Hymns.net
    --> Bishop Angaelos
    --> Bishop Moussa (Bishopric for Youth)
    --> Pope Shenouda.
    --> St. Mina - Hamilton/Ontario
    --> St. Mary & St John's California / USA

The themes I've focused on are comparative theology. Obviously this is one of the reasons for the App: for Orthodox Christians to have a good grounding in Orthodox Christianity!
  • Just for your information:

Coptic Corner app will have true background Audio Streaming added. Version 1.0.4 already has this working fine, but I'm adding a few more interesting features before I let apple review it.

Thanks for your patience, I hope you all enjoy the app... and Fr. Peter's Podcasts!

Hopefully, it won't be long.

• [quote author=aem581 link=topic=13048.msg153283#msg153283 date=1332133723]
    I really like this idea. I like how it would provide everything in one. Is there any costs?

Sorry, I'm not sure I answered this. Given that we have Audio Streaming and other client-server based services, there are costs to maintain the app. I tried to keep this low as possible.

However, the main beneficiary  - from all this, is C.O.P.A - The Coptic Orthodox Publisher's Association.

This is the publishing and translation house that brought you titles like Comparative Theology, Divinity of Christ, etc.

It was a project started by our blessed Fr. Pope Shenouda.
  • Just a heads up, CYC stands for Christian Youth Channel, not Coptic
  • [quote author=peter_saad link=topic=13048.msg155120#msg155120 date=1335872594]
    Just a heads up, CYC stands for Christian Youth Channel, not Coptic

lol.. so sorry.

I code faster than I think.

so sorry!

I changed it