God is the Head of Christ?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Okay, so i know that All three Hypostasis of the trinity are equal, but how do i explain this verse?

"But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God" (1 Cor 11:3)

Also, it says that man is above women? So i know this isn't what our church thinks but how do i explain that verse?

Comments

• "The word head is used in two different senses here, since otherwise absurdity would result. The distance between Christ and man is far greater than between man and woman, on the one hand, or between Christ and God on the other, and is of a different kind. Christ and God are equal in substance but different in relationship, and the same applies to man and woman. But between God and Christ the Son on the one hand and man [and woman] on the other, there is a vast difference of substance as well as of relationship."

-St. John Chrysostom
    Homilies on the Epistles of Paul to the Corinthians 26.3

God the Father and God the Son are of the same exact nature, but their relationship is different. God the Father is the head of Christ because He (Christ) was eternally begotten of Him (The Father). This does not mean that God the Father is higher than God the Son, but it means that the Father is the source or fountainhead of the Trinity.

Our Lord Christ is the head of the man because he was created by Him. The man is the head of the woman simply because she was brought forth from Adam's side. 

✞✞✞
  • [quote author=✞TheGodChrist✞ link=topic=12978.msg152616#msg152616 date=1330478751]

Our Lord Christ is the head of the man because he was created by Him. The man is the head of the woman simply because she was brought forth from Adam's side. 

✞✞✞

Okay, but i thought that Eve was created from Adam's side because it is in the middle of his body so men and women are equal.
  • This is a good post we can learn from. St Paul wrote it perhaps so we could meditate on it

If I may add more to what TheGodChrist said it is also because Jesus having flesh was also tempted by Satan so He needed to pray, I guess his spirit needed God's spirit. Though He knew all things and was God and was also in heaven is it not possible for the son of God who made Himself a son of man to not use His full capabilities and powers? It is written God can not be tempted by evil, because He has all wisdom to reject its evil completely but now He demonstrated He is also worthy to be the law giver who allows man to be tempted, showing it was possible for them to follow all His commandments. He does not need to show He is greater than man but only that He has not sinned by giving us the law and He understands our affliction

sorry for rambling, it is a bit of a hard topic but because I insisted on knowing it I found it but sometimes I leave disturbing thoughts for myself to be resolved in the future because there is too many questions to try to answer them all and would just rob my joy. I know that God is not going to condemn me for not having those questions answered because He is reasonable but He only asks that we give Him our heart and lives. Jesus said whoever has heard from the Father comes to Me,  it is written All thine children shall be taught by God
    Jesus said to Nathanel behold an Israelite indeed in whom is no guile. Because Jesus did not ask him to blindly believe in Him, Nathanel had no guile because he was honest
    The new testament is written so you may have peace and assurance of your faith.

The devil just wants to use these thoughts to trouble you and potentially stop you from doing any beneficial work and giving you joy.
    You believe in God believe also in Me, Jesus says

If Jesus was not the Son of God why did the old testament not warn about Him? in fact it was the psalms who said "I will make your name to be remembered in all generations. Therefore the people will praise You forever" He was talking about David's Son, so clearly David would not be remembered in the same way as David's Son.
    David did not bring knowledge of God to the gentiles in the same way and to the same degree as Jesus did.
    Is David really as worthy of praise as the Son of God?
    The people knew Jesus as the son of man not the Son of God which is why Isaiah says we esteemed Him smitten by God and afflicted. A man of sorrows with no beauty that we may desire him

If we were living in Jesus' time I would have more to say like how can satan cast out satan? however I thought there was a connection here which I can describe
    Today God only asks that you accept the God who made you and to come to Christ seeing His law is perfect and to follow God who made you and He came to do God's will.
    Jesus said to those jews you search the scriptures because you think you will have eternal life but it is them which testify of Me.
    Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD
    Jesus has come in His Father's name, not in His own
    which is why He asks all to accept Him. He came with grace and truth and whoever hears from the Father will come to Christ because He loves God and seeks to do His will

Because He will not condemn you if you do not have the type of heart that desires to reject the truth and to dishonor the Father and the Son
  • [quote author=✞TheGodChrist✞ link=topic=12978.msg152616#msg152616 date=1330478751]
    "The word head is used in two different senses here, since otherwise absurdity would result. The distance between Christ and man is far greater than between man and woman, on the one hand, or between Christ and God on the other, and is of a different kind. Christ and God are equal in substance but different in relationship, and the same applies to man and woman. But between God and Christ the Son on the one hand and man [and woman] on the other, there is a vast difference of substance as well as of relationship."

-St. John Chrysostom
    Homilies on the Epistles of Paul to the Corinthians 26.3

God the Father and God the Son are of the same exact nature, but their relationship is different. God the Father is the head of Christ because He (Christ) was eternally begotten of Him (The Father). This does not mean that God the Father is higher than God the Son, but it means that the Father is the source or fountainhead of the Trinity.

✞✞✞

I don't know you, but I think you ought to be made an Admin.
  • ✞TheGodChrist✞,

Yet another awesome post. :)

[quote author=geomike link=topic=12978.msg152624#msg152624 date=1330484712]
    [quote author=✞TheGodChrist✞ link=topic=12978.msg152616#msg152616 date=1330478751]

✞✞✞

Okay, but i thought that Eve was created from Adam's side because it is in the middle of his body so men and women are equal.

In Eph 5:21 we see that the basis of the Christian life is respect and submission for all in Jesus Christ. We are all equal in God's eyes.

Thus, Adam and Eve were commanded together to rule the world.

Now in the family structure, God set out an order or role for each member – husband/wife/child etc. This was decided by God – each member has a job to do.

So someone must lead – this is the natural order. In any organisation this is normal and God set that role for the husband. (Eph 5:23) It does not make him superior to the wife – it’s just his role. First among equal.
    Now since we don’t choose our gender we can’t think one is better than the other – all we have to do is fulfil the role given to us.

St. Paul also says that "just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." (Eph 5:24). Modern society has a distorted view on 'submission'.

Submission does not imply that you are less. Saying 'yes' and doing is not demeaning to the person or a sign of being lower.
    The submission of the wife to the husband is the same as that of the Son to the Father. It is a submission of love with no fear involved.

So when the wife does what God commanded of her, she is the same as the Son.
    The husband is head of the body and she is the body.
    Just as the Church submits to Christ, she must submit to the husband as he submits to Christ (v24).

The body and head cannot be separated so when the man (head) submits to God the body (woman) will automatically follow.
    Also when the man ceases to submit to Christ, the woman will cease to submit to the man. A husband cannot ask a woman to submit to something against the Spirit of God and His teachings.

Authority is a big responsibility.
    When the wife submits out of love, it is the man’s responsibility to submit to Christ and must look after his wife.