TRUST

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

How to trust God with?

Comments

• [quote author=✞ GoDLovesME ✞ link=topic=12965.msg152511#msg152511 date=1330320568]
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him,

How to trust God with?

How to trust God with what? Is your question, How to trust God?
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12965.msg152521#msg152521 date=1330323422]
    [quote author=✞ GoDLovesME ✞ link=topic=12965.msg152511#msg152511 date=1330320568]

How to trust God with?

How to trust God with what? Is your question, How to trust God?

I think his question is "HOw to trust GOd with all your heart?"
  • I think that we firstly need to deny our will, entreating only God's will in everything in our lives! Easier said than done. I STRONGLY recommend you read Tito Colliander's ''The Way of the Ascetics'' (A short read full of wisdom):

http://cakravartin.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/way-of-the-ascetics.pdf

Also "Unseen Warfare" edited by St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain, and revised by St. Theophan the Recluse:

http://www.stnicholasdc.org/files/Orthodoxy/Unseen-Warfare.pdf

"Naked, small and helpless, you now pass on to the most difficult of all human tasks: to conquer your own selfish desires. Ultimately  it  is  just this "self-persecution" on which your warfare depends,  for as  long as your selfish will rules, you cannot pray to the Lord with a pure heart: Thy will be done. If you cannot get rid of your own greatness, neither  can you  lay yourself open  for  real greatness.  If you  cling  to your own  freedom, you cannot  share  in  true  freedom, where  only  one will  reigns. The  saints' deep  secret  is  this: do not  seek  freedom, and  freedom will be given you" ~ Tito Colliander

"Often I have prayed, I have asked for what I thought was good, & persisted in my petition, stupidly importuning the will of God, & not leaving it to Him to arrange things, as He knows what is best. But when I have obtained what I asked for, I was very sorry for not asking the will of God to be done; because the thing turned out not to be as I thought.

What is good except God? Then let us leave to Him everything that concerns us and all will be well. For He who is good is naturally a giver of good gifts. Do not be distressed if you do not at once receive from God what you ask.
    He wishes to give you something better - to make you persevere in your prayer. For what is better than to enjoy the love of God & to be in communion with Him?" ~ St. Evagrios the Solitary

• ok... but i have everything that could make the person happy and i never became a happy person.... im not satisfied with anything i always feel like im missing something. and i try alll u guys say but im still neither happy nor trust God
  • [quote author=✞ GoDLovesME ✞ link=topic=12965.msg152618#msg152618 date=1330480033]
    ok... but i have everything that could make the person happy and i never became a happy person.... im not satisfied with anything i always feel like im missing something. and i try alll u guys say but im still neither happy nor trust God

WOW. EXACTLY how I am. When I read your post, I had this relief that I am not the only person who feels this way. Its like you have all of the good things that other people dont have, and yet your always sad and feel like you are not happy for some mysterious reason, right? You just feel like no matter what, you have this empty spot in your heart.

Is this how you feel?
  • [quote author=Peace link=topic=12965.msg152619#msg152619 date=1330480417]
    [quote author=✞ GoDLovesME ✞ link=topic=12965.msg152618#msg152618 date=1330480033]
    ok... but i have everything that could make the person happy and i never became a happy person.... im not satisfied with anything i always feel like im missing something. and i try alll u guys say but im still neither happy nor trust God

WOW. EXACTLY how I am. When I read your post, I had this relief that I am not the only person who feels this way. Its like you have all of the good things that other people dont have, and yet your always sad and feel like you are not happy for some mysterious reason, right? You just feel like no matter what, you have this empty spot in your heart.

Is this how you feel?

I used to have this feeling. I tried many things, but the best cures were to sit in the corner and contemplate during tasbeha or just contemplate about a verse about God's love to mankind. You will have A GREAT inner peace. It is unbelievable.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12965.msg152621#msg152621 date=1330480906]
    [quote author=Peace link=topic=12965.msg152619#msg152619 date=1330480417]
    [quote author=✞ GoDLovesME ✞ link=topic=12965.msg152618#msg152618 date=1330480033]

Is this how you feel?

I used to have this feeling. I tried many things, but the best cures were to sit in the corner and contemplate during tasbeha or just contemplate about a verse about God's love to mankind. You will have A GREAT inner peace. It is unbelievable.

Can you elaborate a little more on this contemplation you do in the corner? This sounds very beneficial, and i would like to know more about it.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12965.msg152625#msg152625 date=1330484792]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12965.msg152621#msg152621 date=1330480906]
    [quote author=Peace link=topic=12965.msg152619#msg152619 date=1330480417]

Is this how you feel?

Can you elaborate a little more on this contemplation you do in the corner? This sounds very beneficial, and i would like to know more about it.

During the tasbeha when the deacons are singing, I find a quit dark spot in a corner where I can hear clearly but it is not loud and just think about the lyrics and then it all comes to you.
  • I will try that sometime. Thanks for the idea.
  • +[quote author=✞ GoDLovesME ✞ link=topic=12965.msg152618#msg152618 date=1330480033]

Maybe something that is missing is thankfulness.

'The Life of Thanksgiving' by H.H. Pope Shenouda III states about God:
    “He does not do except good, and the person who believes in this, gladly accepts everything which comes from Him and says in faith ‘...All things work together for good’, and gives thanks to God. But, some might ask and say: we believe - without doubt – that whatever comes from God is good, but what about that which comes from people and might not all be good?! We say to them: if the attitudes of people towards us were good, it will reach us good, but if it were not, God will change it, and it will reach us good at the end.”

[quote author=✞ GoDLovesME ✞ link=topic=12965.msg152511#msg152511 date=1330320568]
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart

Sometimes we fall out of trust in God or we do not know how to completely trust God, due to our weakness of not really knowing Who God is and what power He holds. We forget He is a close God, Who watches carefully our every step, Who preserves us from the attacks of the enemy, Who wants more good than we want for ourselves and more than what people want for us, Who plans with preciseness every single second of our life filling it with good things that we cannot even ask for or imagine, Who loves and eagerly seeks to see His children smile.
    When we are aware of this knowledge, we begin to trust Him. We taste and know Who His indescribable Character is.. What His indescribable love is. When we trust Him, it brings happiness, or rather a deeper fruit – joy. We then thank Him for whatever happens and wherever we are in life because we know He has planned with careful watchfulness our path to bring us to His Eternal Kingdom.
    It’s amazing that the unseen and immortal God does these things to begin with. We are the ones who should be begging for His infinite love, yet He does all because He is the definition of love.

“They are completely confident that God will not allow anything bad to happen to them, and being Almighty, He watches all matters occurring to them, and takes a stand in their favour. For this reason, the life of thanksgiving is bound up in the life of faith.” - The Life of Thanksgiving, H.H. Pope Shenouda III http://www.copticpope.org/books/Thanksgv.pdf

And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him,

We sometimes think we know what is best for us and we don't even think about consulting/acknowledging God. We forget that when we lean on God, He has something better - better choices and decisions, better things planned.. He directs our paths.
    God acknowledges in Heaven those who acknowledge Him on Earth.

The thing about thanking God is that He adds on the goodness. He keeps blessing. We keep seeing His directing Hand.
  • [quote author=Christs' servant link=topic=12965.msg152533#msg152533 date=1330338049]
    I think that we firstly need to deny our will, entreating only God's will in everything in our lives! Easier said than done. I STRONGLY recommend you read Tito Colliander's ''The Way of the Ascetics'' (A short read full of wisdom):

http://cakravartin.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/way-of-the-ascetics.pdf

Also "Unseen Warfare" edited by St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain, and revised by St. Theophan the Recluse:

http://www.stnicholasdc.org/files/Orthodoxy/Unseen-Warfare.pdf

"Naked, small and helpless, you now pass on to the most difficult of all human tasks: to conquer your own selfish desires. Ultimately  it  is  just this "self-persecution" on which your warfare depends,  for as  long as your selfish will rules, you cannot pray to the Lord with a pure heart: Thy will be done. If you cannot get rid of your own greatness, neither  can you  lay yourself open  for  real greatness.  If you  cling  to your own  freedom, you cannot  share  in  true  freedom, where  only  one will  reigns. The  saints' deep  secret  is  this: do not  seek  freedom, and  freedom will be given you" ~ Tito Colliander

"Often I have prayed, I have asked for what I thought was good, & persisted in my petition, stupidly importuning the will of God, & not leaving it to Him to arrange things, as He knows what is best. But when I have obtained what I asked for, I was very sorry for not asking the will of God to be done; because the thing turned out not to be as I thought.

What is good except God? Then let us leave to Him everything that concerns us and all will be well. For He who is good is naturally a giver of good gifts. Do not be distressed if you do not at once receive from God what you ask.
    He wishes to give you something better - to make you persevere in your prayer. For what is better than to enjoy the love of God & to be in communion with Him?" ~ St. Evagrios the Solitary

I like this, thank you!

GBU