IS this bad...?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
+

Is writing down that you teach Sunday school at Church for scholarships bad, for community service hours?
Since i do teach the younger kids in Sunday school class.

I know a lot of people who have done so and am debating if i should do it know since i am applying for scholarships.
What do you think?

May God bless you and lead you to answer this question.

Comments

• I was advised to do that some time ago. I guess I always view it as service should be as prayer done in secrecy. However, other people argue that you spend your time doing something which you should state, not proclaiming you are doing the right things, or giving details about what you are doing; only God will judge you. I guess both principles are fine. Just take more people's opinions, and your spiritual guide's views, or your father of confession's
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • I believe it is 'fine' for you to simply right "Sunday School Teacher in the Church of ..." it is a service.
  • What is wrong with it? Is not sunday school a volunteer work? Do you get paid to teach sunday school?
  • I think it should be fine, provided that the reason you are serving is NOT to have something more to added to your resume or to get more service hours.
  • No, don't use that for community service, it's bad. It's bad because it's not voluntarily, you are forced to do it because of your oath to the church during baptism. Consider it your life, you won't mark your life as a voluntary thing. Don't to it.
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=12865.msg152214#msg152214 date=1329655993]
    No, don't use that for community service, it's bad. It's bad because it's not voluntarily, you are forced to do it because of your oath to the church during baptism. Consider it your life, you won't mark your life as a voluntary thing. Don't to it.

You aren't obligated to become a sunday school teacher once you are baptized. As a matter of fact you aren't mandated to do anything by baptism other than live a Christian life and come to church.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12865.msg152221#msg152221 date=1329665535]
    [quote author=Khas. link=topic=12865.msg152214#msg152214 date=1329655993]
    No, don't use that for community service, it's bad. It's bad because it's not voluntarily, you are forced to do it because of your oath to the church during baptism. Consider it your life, you won't mark your life as a voluntary thing. Don't to it.

You aren't obligated to become a sunday school teacher once you are baptized. As a matter of fact you aren't mandated to do anything by baptism other than live a Christian life and come to church.

Then explain why I am forced to be baptized, forced into Christianity, forced to be a deacon, forced to go to Sunday School, forced to go to Pre-servants meeting, forced to go to Youth group and forced to be a servant? Obviously I am indeed happy with this and I do accept everything with small disagrements (possibility of being solved). I actually don't have a say in anything that goes on in church with my presence. I am like a robot just obeying commands irrationally. I don't object, but that doesn't sound voluntary to me.
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=12865.msg152234#msg152234 date=1329701592]
    [quote author=geomike link=topic=12865.msg152221#msg152221 date=1329665535]

Then explain why I am forced to be baptized, forced into Christianity, forced to be a deacon, forced to go to Sunday School, forced to go to Pre-servants meeting, forced to go to Youth group and forced to be a servant? Obviously I am indeed happy with this and I do accept everything with small disagrements (possibility of being solved). I actually don't have a say in anything that goes on in church with my presence. I am like a robot just obeying commands irrationally. I don't object, but that doesn't sound voluntary to me.

That's a different story. That is somebody (most likely your parents) forcing you to do something. I don't know why you have a problem and if you do have a problem with getting involved in your church then talk with your parents about it. I know that you are in uni now, so you are mature enough to make your own decisions you don't need somebody forcing you.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12865.msg152238#msg152238 date=1329706464]
    [quote author=Khas. link=topic=12865.msg152234#msg152234 date=1329701592]
    [quote author=geomike link=topic=12865.msg152221#msg152221 date=1329665535]

That's a different story. That is somebody (most likely your parents) forcing you to do something. I don't know why you have a problem and if you do have a problem with getting involved in your church then talk with your parents about it. I know that you are in uni now, so you are mature enough to make your own decisions you don't need somebody forcing you.

I don't have a problem getting involved with anything. The only problem I have is calling it voluntary service. When you are baptized you are committed to serving the church in your life, it's not a "your choice" situation. The church is a lifestyle not a voluntary thing, and you have to commit to the service. I'm not in University yet :P. I just don't feel using hours from serving in the church is appropriate for community service.
  • You are not boasting. You are telling them who you are, what you do etc. And they are asking you to tell them.
  • i agree.
    hi, mnc_hnn, good to 'see' you again.
    :)
  • Hey thanks :)