Orthodox Studies Poll 2 - If you are ready to start

If you have indicated on the other Poll that you are ready to start one of the modules in this proposed series of 12, then please indicate which you would prefer to start with.

I am preparing to begin the first module on 1st March, and will be taking registration details and fees as soon as we have agreed what the first module will be. I will be intending to produce the materials to support all students in a linear progress through the course material, but will also be hoping to be preparing material for a second module to be available before all students have completed this first one. Indeed once this module has begun it will be available to be started by other students as they choose, perhaps on a monthly start date to help keep track of cohorts of students.

Just a reminder. Each of the modules will have about 100 hours of study, including reading, audio materials, learning website, ebook study guide material, marking and commenting of assignments, private class forum and access to tutor by email, and will cost £120 or US $200 or CA $200.

Just to be clear, this is for one module. The certificate course will be 12 modules in length. The course material will be set at a comparable level to other UK CertHE courses, which is the first year of a UK university degree. It is estimated that each module will take 3-4 months to complete. This course will no be validated by a UK university until all of the modules have been prepared and made ready for use, but it is expected and intended that the course as a whole will provide a serious and worthwhile programme of study, whether one module or many are taken.

I am willing to be flexible in this first module in regard to assessment. I think that there should be one essay assignment, but other forms of assessment could take the form of multiple-choice and short answer questions.

If you are pretty much committed to taking this first course then do please indicate your preference on this poll, and if you are thinking of a particular topic I have not included then please PM me so I can include it.

Comments

• Hi Father,

I voted something else, I would like to do the history of the liturgy or something like that if possible.

Please pray for me,

LiD

Edit: Gee wiz - Christology as the first subject? You guys are mad.  Of all the topics with spiritual and practical benefit, why chose a first up topic with no other practical use than debating on web forums?
  • Christology is at the heart of every subject we could consider, and properly understood it must be spiritual and practical.

If we study this together then I will try to ensure that at each section of the module we consider why it is of importance to our spiritual and practical lives. The answer to the question, 'Who do you say I am?' must be of more value than simply to cause arguments or we have not properly understood Christology at all.

God bless

Father Peter
  • Father Peter, after reading your post after I had already polled, I would like to switch to the Christology module. Also I want to know how the modules will go; Will I be able  to study on my own time or will there be certain times I have to take the test / study / etc?
  • The modules will be created so that students can proceed entirely at their own pace. If students finish sooner or later than others that doesn't matter at all. Indeed once the first module, which it seems will be on Christology, begins, other students will be able to start the same course whenever they want to.
  • I'm so excited for this!!! I will pray that more will see it and sign up in order that we, as Orthodox Christians, have a better understanding of ourselves and our beliefs and ultimately, our God.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=12911.msg151945#msg151945 date=1329311099]
    Christology is at the heart of every subject we could consider, and properly understood it must be spiritual and practical.

If we study this together then I will try to ensure that at each section of the module we consider why it is of importance to our spiritual and practical lives. The answer to the question, 'Who do you say I am?' must be of more value than simply to cause arguments or we have not properly understood Christology at all.

God bless

Father Peter

My point is you don't need a course on Oriental Christology to answer the question 'who do you say I am?' If it was required the Apostles would have a very hard time baptising people.

I just find that practically speaking, if we try to spend time understanding the formulary of reunion, the henotikon and distinctions between terms such as hypostasis, physis and ouisa does little for us as Christians from a day to day perspective. These are also hideously inappropriate topics for a first up subject, there has to be some foundation in place first.
  • Can we use the Orthodox Christiology book you wrote as our textbook? 8)