El Hassad

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Whats the church's view on "el hassad" like when some people envy someone else, and something bad happens to the person?? Does the church believe in any type of hassad??

Comments

• The prayer of thanksgiving:
    "All envy, all temptation, all the work of Satan, the council of wicked men and the rising up of enemies, hidden and manifest, take them away from us."

that means it exists. but for it to take effect or not, being with God is the only protection. God won't stop a person from envying another (freewill) but He will protect the other.
  • Whenever someone envies us (beyehsedna), I'm always afraid something bad might happen next :( I pray with tears so God can help us, and protect us, but I'm still afraid. What can I do now ??
  • [quote author=✞Je Nai Nan✞ link=topic=12796.msg150265#msg150265 date=1326256199]
    Whenever someone envies us (beyehsedna), I'm always afraid something bad might happen next :( I pray with tears so God can help us, and protect us, but I'm still afraid. What can I do now ??

Whatever God planned to happen to you is going to happen. It's not going to be affected by somebody envying you. It's just God's plan/will.
  • Agape,

Envy harms the person who is envious, and not the one being envied.

In the thanksgiving prayer, the envy we ask to be protected from is that of the devil, which can harm us (Wisdom of Solomon 2:24), but not of other people, which cannot harm us (but harms the person who is envious).
  • u r talking about the 'evil eye', if someone envies u then they 'send bad luck'.
    this believe is not only untrue, it is haram.
    it is the belief of the pagans, and not allowed in Christianity.

our God is stronger than any evil spirit and so if we stay close to Him, then even 100 evil spirits can't harm us.
    the demons want us to be always scared, but we should not do what they want! we should submit to God (no pride or rebellion allowed), resist the devil and he WILL flee from us. (as we see in the letter of saint james).
    :o
    get it? the devil runs away scared, not us!
    :o
    so pray, read the Bible, repent from your sins, go to confession and take Holy Communion and then u don't need to be afraid at all.
    if u still feel afraid after all this, then sing songs of worship to God instead as we find it hard to be afraid, when our hearts are feeled with praise to God.
    you should sing songs like 'in the middle of the raging sea (wast el bahr)' or 'agios o theos' or any church songs when in the shower or doing chores, and let praise for God fill your life.
  • Somebody asked HG Bishop Youssef, and he replyed with what like Biboboy posted. Very similar.

[quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12796.msg150272#msg150272 date=1326262357]
    Agape,

Envy harms the person who is envious, and not the one being envied.

In the thanksgiving prayer, the envy we ask to be protected from is that of the devil, which can harm us (Wisdom of Solomon 2:24), but not of other people, which cannot harm us (but harms the person who is envious).
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12796.msg150270#msg150270 date=1326258555]
    [quote author=✞Je Nai Nan✞ link=topic=12796.msg150265#msg150265 date=1326256199]
    Whenever someone envies us (beyehsedna), I'm always afraid something bad might happen next :( I pray with tears so God can help us, and protect us, but I'm still afraid. What can I do now ??

Whatever God planned to happen to you is going to happen. It's not going to be affected by somebody envying you. It's just God's plan/will.

That remind me of a question I asked myself years ago but never found an answer and I kind of just lived with it but since you brought it up here it is: why should we pray if God is going to do what is good for us anyways?
  • Copticandproud,
    Here's what the Fathers day to your question.
    " You do not then pray in order to teach God your wants, but to move Him, that you may become His friend by the importunity of your applications to Him, that you may be humbled, that you may be reminded of your sins."- St John Chrysostom
  • I don't believe in superstitions, but unfortunately evil exists and evil people are everywhere so satan uses them to get to us. bragging about what we have and boasting about what we own and who we are doesn't help because at these moments we perhaps temporarily lose god's protection because we think we're so great and needless. But without God, we're nothing.

So satan gets this thought in our minds that it is the people's envy and ill wishes that harm us, distracting us from remembering our need for God because we're too busy hating other people. And satan wants maximum damage: some people envy and the others hate.

Also bear in mind hassad is a Muslim cultural issue that was passed on to us. 
  • good points.
    except it's a pagan cultural practice passed on to us and to the muslims.
    strict muslims are not supposed to believe in it either, nor to have 'evil eye' symbols in their homes. i have friends who are arabic speaking muslims, so i know this from them, and the stricter ones don't so it.

about prayer, we do it coz it's so lovely to communicate with the God who loves us more than any human ever could.
    :)