which churches are we allowed to take cumunion at ?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
in the coptic church theirs certian churches we can tae cummunion at which are they

Comments

• [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=12771.msg149935#msg149935 date=1325711142]
    in the coptic church theirs certian churches we can tae cummunion at which are they

These are the Syrian, Ethiopian, Eritrian, Indian (Malankra Syrian) and Armenian.
  • I would just like to add that we CAN'T take communion at the Catholic Church, I have been reading that some Coptic people think they can but in reality they can't.
  • why not in the greek and the russian orthodox churches ???
  • [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=12771.msg149941#msg149941 date=1325715307]
    why not in the greek and the russian orthodox churches ???

Although there have been many dialogues with all of the Eastern Orthodoxy Churches, and there has been an agreement of theology reached in certain aspects pertaining to the nature of Christ, there are still political issues standing in the way of full communion, not to mention that there is some foolish name calling occurring between certain people on both sides. I have heard that a problem with unity is in the Athonite monks along with the Ethiopian Orthodox church from our side. The initiative to reunite our churches has died down. at one point, we were so close to unity that Deacon Dr. Maher Issac (now: Fr. Shenouda Isaac) had written a book discussing how the first liturgy re-uniting the churches would be prayed.

There was a joint commission written by both families and I have a copy of it. You can find a soft version of it here, however, Fr. Peter being very involved in inter-denominational dialogue may be able to give you a much more detailed and correct answer.

Until then, pray for the unity of the church. I'm sure that it breaks Christ's heart to see his children divided. We are one army in Christ fighting against the devil. Separating is definitely against the will of Christ (the same Christ who came to unify the believers against the wiles of the devil).

We are not in ecumenical communion and so, we cannot partake of their mysteries.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • I would like to add that we should generally only have communion in these Churches when a Coptic Church is not within the same area.  We are very much united theologically but there are different jurisdictional practices and traditions  such as rules about fasting.

What you may find practically speaking is that that a Syrian Orthodox person who has followed their cannons of fasting may not be allowed to have communion in a Coptic Church because the Syrian rules are not as stringent as the Coptic ones.

For these reasons its probably not a good idea to Church hop and have communion unless it has been cleared with the priest  in the Church you wish to have communion at and/or your father of confession first.

Please pray for me,

LiD
  • That's not strictly true.

Numbers of OO DO participate in the sacraments of the EO, and our own Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria has an agreement to allow full participation in all the sacraments for those in mixed marriages.

As in all such matters, it is best, necessary even, to have the advice and permission of priests etc.

I know of members of the Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria in isolated circumstances who have received communion in several of the EO jurisdictions. I know of members of the wider Oriental Orthodox communion who have received communion in most if not all of the EO jurisdictions.

As for receiving communion in one of the other Oriental Orthodox churches, I think it to rather a negative matter that so many members of the Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria living in the West have never received communion in one of the other congregations. The issue of preparation is fairly straightforward.

It is not just that we are united theologically, but that we are the SAME Church. As has been said here before - the name Coptic Orthodox Church is not ancient. The name of our Church is the Orthodox Church of Alexandria. We are the Orthodox Church in that place, and the Orthodox Church of Antioch is the same Orthodox Church in that place. And when we are together in the UK, or the US, or Canada, we are all the same Orthodox Church. When I meet Archbishop Athanasius of the Syrian Orthodox Church he is just as much a bishop in MY Church as when I meet my own.

So I long for the time when members of the Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria practically and actually consider all other Orthodox not as members of other related Churches but as member of ONE Orthodox Church, which is what we are.

(That is not to disagree at all with the necessary requirement to be prepared for communion, and to seek the advice of our priests, not least because not every group calling itself Orthodox is Orthodox, or is the canonical representative of a particular community).
  • Hi Father,

I agree that it is important to emphasie the oneness of the Church but from a practical perspective we should show consideration to our ecumenical brothers.  Theoretically and even spiritually it is good and necessary for us to commune one another but practically we don't want to do something which inadvertently might scandalise others.  If we take our Ethiopian brothers as an example, it is taboo for people of certain ages to have communion in their Churches. I don't know what kind of affect their congregation if I am having communion while they're not especially if their understanding is that what I'm doing isn't good sacramental practice.

Please pray for me,

LiD
  • I have communed in all our Churches, and Oriental Orthodox Festival has taken place in many of the Churches at which laity from all the Churches have communed as a matter of course.

It only requires contacting the priest in advance to ask what restrictions might apply.
  • Its the same body of Christ in both EO and OO.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=12771.msg149982#msg149982 date=1325798882]
    I have communed in all our Churches, and Oriental Orthodox Festival has taken place in many of the Churches at which laity from all the Churches have communed as a matter of course.

It only requires contacting the priest in advance to ask what restrictions might apply.

amen
  • thanks every one  :)