(Fitari) food and temptation in the fast

edited December 2011 in Personal Issues
Hi guys,

The last weeks I am struggling with temptation of food (shahawat el akl).
I know it is weak, but this period I strongly long for Christmas (dinner) and the delicious fitari food, chicken and chocolate, despite of that it's just one week left. And then I am fantasizing about the day when the fast ends.

Does any of you have got this problem too? How do you deal with this?

GBU

Comments

• Eyes on Christ.

Once this week is over, you're going to forget exactly which foods you were craving.
  • When I was young, I used to always look forward to that night when we get to pig out after church. But I feel like that's wrong now. This isn't true fasting. As George said, we should keep our eyes on Christ, not the food. This brings back a topic that I started a couple weeks. Should we 'LIKE' fasting or hate it?

If you feel like all you're looking forward to is the food, then you really haven't benefited anything from the fast.
  • [quote author=peter_saad link=topic=12756.msg149727#msg149727 date=1325341583]
    When I was young, I used to always look forward to that night when we get to pig out after church. But I feel like that's wrong now. This isn't true fasting. As George said, we should keep our eyes on Christ, not the food. This brings back a topic that I started a couple weeks. Should we 'LIKE' fasting or hate it?

If you feel like all you're looking forward to is the food, then you really haven't benefited anything from the fast.

Jimmy*
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=12756.msg149728#msg149728 date=1325344659]
    [quote author=peter_saad link=topic=12756.msg149727#msg149727 date=1325341583]
    When I was young, I used to always look forward to that night when we get to pig out after church. But I feel like that's wrong now. This isn't true fasting. As George said, we should keep our eyes on Christ, not the food. This brings back a topic that I started a couple weeks. Should we 'LIKE' fasting or hate it?

Jimmy*
    Sorry. If I knew you in real life, I would have known to call you that.  ;)
  • i found last week quite difficult. but today i was thinking 'only 1 week to go!' and finding it easier.
    until i went shopping and saw loads of fitari stuff at reduced prices which i had to ignore!
    so it is hard sometimes, and when we think of food, we should pray, clean the house, call a friend (if you don't talk about food!), iron your clothes, study the Bible, walk the dog (borrow one if you don't have one) or anything that takes our mind off it.

in fact that is what fasting is about, through these ways, we learn to control our thoughts.
    so accept that the difficult times are simply going to make you stronger, and resist the temptation to fantasize over food but bring all your thoughts in captivity to Jesus Christ.
    and pray for me too!
    :)
  • Think of it like this;

Christ fasted for us 40 days and 40 nights withoud a single drop of water, or a single crumb of bread. However, as for ourselves, we have an abundace of food, when we're not fasting and even when we are fasting. So we can try for just 1 week to abstain from 1 piece of chocolate, that will potientially damage our spritual lives.

Good luck, the Lord is with you, and He shall provide.

• Thanks everyone for your replies.

[quote author=PeterA link=topic=12756.msg149738#msg149738 date=1325360681]
    Aghapy,

A fast without prayer is no fast at all. It just becomes a deception from the demons.
    Buddhist monks fast better than us. Hindu priests fast better than us. All we're doing is what they're doing. If Christ isn't the backdrop of all that we do it is useless.
    Again, fasting without prayer is no fast at all.

Yeah that's true. But I do pray.

[quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12756.msg149734#msg149734 date=1325355392]
    i found last week quite difficult. but today i was thinking 'only 1 week to go!' and finding it easier.

Haha, indeed masboota. I think I am a bit exaggerating. It's only 1 week to go. May God be with you  :)[quote author=✞ Khen Pikhristoc✞ link=topic=12756.msg149739#msg149739 date=1325362337]
    Think of it like this;

Christ fasted for us 40 days and 40 nights withoud a single drop of water, or a single crumb of bread. However, as for ourselves, we have an abundace of food, when we're not fasting and even when we are fasting. So we can try for just 1 week to abstain from 1 piece of chocolate, that will potientially damage our spritual lives.

Good luck, the Lord is with you, and He shall provide.

I agree. Thanks and pray for me.
  • Really, just think rationally, food sucks. Fitari or Siami, therefore just eliminate food altogether, eat only to live. That's what I do... heck, if I couldn't eat I wouldn't.

EDIT: Actually, I was thinking of fasting from all food whatsoever. I won't eat or drink anything except water for the last week... I'll think about this.

Edit 2: Find the source of your fantasies. Are you dreaming about lahma mafrooma, kofta, kebab, farkha baneh, farkha mashweeeya... aaawwwwh yeaaaah... kibda bil lamoon, rooz bel lahma mashweya, lobia we asaal tahina bel salami, macarona beshemel... oooh tastey.... bed we basterma, gibna roomy...

Yummy eh? WELL NO! ITS ALL JUNK, Don't let anything deceive you.
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=12756.msg149817#msg149817 date=1325515577]
    Really, just think rationally, food sucks. Fitari or Siami, therefore just eliminate food altogether, eat only to live. That's what I do... heck, if I couldn't eat I wouldn't.

EDIT: Actually, I was thinking of fasting from all food whatsoever. I won't eat or drink anything except water for the last week... I'll think about this.

Edit 2: Find the source of your fantasies. Are you dreaming about lahma mafrooma, kofta, kebab, farkha baneh, farkha mashweeeya... aaawwwwh yeaaaah... kibda bil lamoon, rooz bel lahma mashweya, lobia we asaal tahina bel salami, macarona beshemel... oooh tastey.... bed we basterma, gibna roomy...

Why would you say something like this? Didn't God give us food so that we can live?
  • That's true. He gave us food so that we can live. But He didn't give us life so that we can eat.

We sometimes (often) get things the wrong way round.
  • If you want to get technical about it, God gave us the garden of Eden to eat and nourish us. We were designed to be vegetarians. It was only after the fall that we became carnivores. Whether fasting or eating, we should strive to go back to the simplicity God gave us in Eden. If it is not possible to become vegetarians, then we should at least strive to make food not so much a priority in life, as Fr Peter said.
  • We eat to live, not live to eat

Vice versa during non-fasting days :p
  • Just Kidding! :)
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=12756.msg149817#msg149817 date=1325515577]
    Really, just think rationally, food sucks. Fitari or Siami, therefore just eliminate food altogether, eat only to live. That's what I do... heck, if I couldn't eat I wouldn't.

Hahahaha  :P Succes with not eating for the last week  ;)
    I don't love kibda. asaal tahina bel salami?? Yuck. That's weird XD

Thank u.

Thanks everyone.
  • in case anyone was thinking of taking khas' entry too seriously, u need to ask yr priest before doing any radical fasting like not eating for a week!
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12756.msg149837#msg149837 date=1325536342]
    in case anyone was thinking of taking khas' entry too seriously, u need to ask yr priest before doing any radical fasting like not eating for a week!

Hahaha :p I am wondering who of u is really able to do this XD
    I can't even fast for a whole day .
  • [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12756.msg149832#msg149832 date=1325527166]
    [quote author=Khas. link=topic=12756.msg149817#msg149817 date=1325515577]

Thank u.

Thanks everyone.

Take some asal, and take some tahina, and mix it really well. Than get around 40 slices of salami, and mix it with the asal all in a bowl and enjoy.
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=12756.msg149842#msg149842 date=1325537100]
    [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12756.msg149832#msg149832 date=1325527166]
    [quote author=Khas. link=topic=12756.msg149817#msg149817 date=1325515577]

Thank u.

Thanks everyone.

Take some asal, and take some tahina, and mix it really well. Than get around 40 slices of salami, and mix it with the asal all in a bowl and enjoy.

Tayeb :P
  • thanks for making me feel sick thinking of salami!
    makes the last 4 fasting days go more easily!
    ;)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12756.msg149874#msg149874 date=1325600088]
    thanks for making me feel sick thinking of salami!
    makes the last 4 fasting days go more easily!
    ;)

Yo, salami and honey is the best. You know what's better? Get a prime rib steak, one slice, and put it in the blender, then blend it for half an hour. Than take the mash steak and stir fry it, then cook another steak whole, and put the ground steak around the whole one and you got yourself a meal. All you do now is spray the entire plate with cranberry sauce, and a little raw egg whites.