The Cymbols and the triangle

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
I am really confused on how we should play the deff and mosals. Literally everybody plays them in a different way. Which way should I play them?

Comments

• Any Ideas? :/
  • There's no "right" way to play them..You just do whatever you like to do.
  • As long as youa re not being a distraction when playing the deff or triento, you're good.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12697.msg149242#msg149242 date=1324322091]
    As long as youa re not being a distraction when playing the deff or triento, you're good.

Mina,

The deacon in our church plays the cymbals SO loud that we cannot pray. He sings loudly in the mic, and holds the cymbals close to his mouth.

Many people have left the mass already because it wasn't an environment to pray in. We all got headaches.

Should I tell him?

I spoke to abouna about it, and he said that he has already spoken to him, but he insists on playing and singing this way.

This is not acceptable. If he insists on this method - then he doesn't care about people's comfort.

What should I do? Its not as if we are spoilt for choices in Europe with respect to which churches we can go to and pray in!!

• [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=12697.msg149244#msg149244 date=1324325781]
    Should I tell him?

I spoke to abouna about it, and he said that he has already spoken to him, but he insists on playing and singing this way.
    i don't think telling him will change anything since Abouna himself didn't influence him. In fact, i think you'll be making him more angry. I would say try Abouna again.......maybe some of his friends can talk to him to if you can send the message in a proper way through them.

This is not acceptable. If he insists on this method - then he doesn't care about people's comfort.

some people just get lost when they get into the mode of singing alhan especially if they are leading with no one else singing with them. They don't hear how loud the deff is because they themselves are loud.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12697.msg149171#msg149171 date=1324145520]
    I am really confused on how we should play the deff and mosals. Literally everybody plays them in a different way. Which way should I play them?

They should be played with humility. That means in a simple manner - not loud or fast. One style throughout the whole la7n, not changing beats and styles to show off how much skills you have. . .people should not notice your "performance." Your job is to keep the rhythm of the la7n, not to get the guy next to you to bob his head.
  • The cymbals and triangle should be BANNED from the Coptic Church.

The only instrument we're allowed to use in our worship is the one God created: our human voices.
  • [quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12697.msg149247#msg149247 date=1324329484]
    The cymbals and triangle should be BANNED from the Coptic Church.

The only instrument we're allowed to use in our worship is the one God created: our human voices.

A church here in Los Angeles actually does ban them from worship. . .but what's your rationale?
  • [quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12697.msg149247#msg149247 date=1324329484]
    The cymbals and triangle should be BANNED from the Coptic Church.

Say whaaaat?!
  • Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet;
    Praise Him with the psaltery and harp!
    Praise Him with the timbrel and chorus;
    Praise Him with stringed instruments and organs!
    Praise Him with  pleasant sounding cymbals;
    Praise Him upon the cymbals of joy!

We say it every week.
  • Can you guys tell me how do you play them? like 2 beats up and then one down etc
  • Here is a video that shows one of the ways to play the cymbals.

http://deacontube.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewcategory&cat_id=18&Itemid=87

In Him,
    Ebnyasoo3
  • Bom tesh... bom bom tesh.

LOL
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12697.msg149262#msg149262 date=1324342341]
    Can you guys tell me how do you play them? like 2 beats up and then one down etc

NOTHING will teach how to play the deff right before mastering hymns from every angle. the deff follows the hymn to keep the rhythm. if you don;t know the hymn, you don't know how to play the deff.

And what is the big deal with playing the deff?!....i know great deacons and cantors who mastered many hymns and are trully great chanters but they don't know how to play the deff....
  • Knowing how to play the def is very overrated. Someone told me that you aren't a true deacon if you don't know how to play it.  I know many hymns and I don't know how to play the def and I am completely fine. The children in our church fight during liturgies to play and High School kids get angry when they don't play it during a service...I don't want to learn just so I can avoid these problems.

Is there anything wrong with 3 people playing the def at the same time? It really bothers me.
  • [quote author=ebnyasoo3 link=topic=12697.msg149267#msg149267 date=1324349441]
    Here is a video that shows one of the ways to play the cymbals.

http://deacontube.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewcategory&cat_id=18&Itemid=87

btw, i hate that deff he's playing with......it is basically like a ghata 7alla and it sounds like it to. the only reason they make them that way now is because they are cheaper and 'lighter' for people to play.....which i just HATE!!!!
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12697.msg149271#msg149271 date=1324353477]
    Is there anything wrong with 3 people playing the def at the same time? It really bothers me.

We do that many times in my church only with specific hymns where the sound of the multiple deffs combined never overwhelms the sound of the people.
    But for this to sound right, people need to be working together......playing EXACTLY THE SAME BEATS.....if one person does one wrong beat, it can throw everyone else of. in cases where it is too loud or the deacons are not playing together, the concept is worthless and it's just more noise.
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=12697.msg149260#msg149260 date=1324342195]
    Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet;
    Praise Him with the psaltery and harp!
    Praise Him with the timbrel and chorus;
    Praise Him with stringed instruments and organs!
    Praise Him with  pleasant sounding cymbals;
    Praise Him upon the cymbals of joy!

We say it every week.
  • I know it is not a big deal and I kind of know how to play it but I never asked for it and I will never will, but I just wanted to master it just in case I needed to play it for some reason.

P.S I try to be the best at everything ;)
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12697.msg149245#msg149245 date=1324327222]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=12697.msg149244#msg149244 date=1324325781]
    Should I tell him?

i don't think telling him will change anything since Abouna himself didn't influence him. In fact, i think you'll be making him more angry. I would say try Abouna again.......maybe some of his friends can talk to him to if you can send the message in a proper way through them.

some people just get lost when they get into the mode of singing alhan especially if they are leading with no one else singing with them. They don't hear how loud the deff is because they themselves are loud.

I will speak to abouna.
    Thanks
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12697.msg149276#msg149276 date=1324362480]
    I know it is not a big deal and I kind of know how to play it but I never asked for it and I will never will, but I just wanted to master it just in case I needed to play it for some reason.

There is nothing wrong with just saying "sorry, i can't play the deff"...it's that simple.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12697.msg149303#msg149303 date=1324408270]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12697.msg149276#msg149276 date=1324362480]
    I know it is not a big deal and I kind of know how to play it but I never asked for it and I will never will, but I just wanted to master it just in case I needed to play it for some reason.

There is nothing wrong with just saying "sorry, i can't play the deff"...it's that simple.

I agree but there is also nothing wrong with playing it, right?
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12697.msg149308#msg149308 date=1324411368]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12697.msg149303#msg149303 date=1324408270]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12697.msg149276#msg149276 date=1324362480]

I agree but there is also nothing wrong with playing it, right?

I didn't say it is wrong. I am not sure what are you trying to accomplish.....
    a deacon DOES NOT need to know how to play the deff. it is that simple. if any one tells that he needs to know or must know how to play the deff, he is wrong and i can go as far as saying NOT A TRUE DEACON....
  • Woah there woah... I have never meant that! I am just trying to learn it just for the sake of knowing it. I agree a deacon doesnot NEED to know how to play the deff, but it is better if they do know how.
  • Sasi,

Simple solution:  pull the plug on the microphone; break his fingers (accidentally of course).

Then go confess to your FOC.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12697.msg149310#msg149310 date=1324411853]
    I agree a deacon doesnot .... but it is better if they do know how.

NOPE!!! it is not better...it simply doesn't do anything.....
  • Do you play the deff?
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12697.msg149324#msg149324 date=1324428900]
    Do you play the deff?

yes i do....
  • Why did you learn how to play it since "it simply doesn't do anything"?