Catholic Church

Hey everyone, I just wanted to know the Catholic Church's view on Divorce. Is divorce allowed? If so what are the circumstances if any?
thank you
GBU

Comments

• [quote author=marina008 link=topic=12681.msg148933#msg148933 date=1323726719]
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to know the Catholic Church's view on Divorce. Is divorce allowed? If so what are the circumstances if any?
    thank you
    GBU

lol you would get the most accurate response in a Catholic forum:
    http://forums.catholic.com/
    I would imagine like the Orthodox, only allowed in cases of infidelity
  • The Catholic Church believes that divorce is immoral. Divorces are done in civil courts, but are not accepted by the Church. The Church can only grant an annulment of marriage, rather than divorce. An annulment is the claim that the sacrament of matrimony wasn't valid in the first place, for various reasons, such as:
    1) Psychological state of either spouse before marriage.
    2) Imposition of force of one spouse over another to get married (i.e. rape).
    3) Intention to get married - e.g. if there was no intention to have children, there was no intention to be married, and the sacrament is invalid.
    4) The necessity of free consent to enter into lifelong relationship - so adultery annuls this consent.
  • Are there annulments in the Coptic Orthodox Church?
  • Yes, but H.H. Pope Shenouda reduced all the circumstances for an annulment (which is called "divorce" because in Egypt, there is no civil marriage/divorce) to two reasons:
    1) Adultery.
    2) Change of religion/heresy.
  • @ Biboboy,

Isn't an annulment different from divorce? HH Pope Shenouda calls it an "annulment" because it is not divorce. Unlike a divorce, an annulled marriage is invalid, almost as if it had never taken place.
  • Isn't that what I wrote?
  • I thought you said that he is calling it an "annulment" because there are no civil marriages/divorces in Egypt.

Sorry, if that is what you said, my apologies.

• Annulment means that the marriage never happened.

Adultery means that the marriage happened but because of adultery that marriage is broken.

Annulment can happen for various reasons:
    No Manhood
    No Womanhood
    Marriage built on Deception 
    Marriage built on force
    Either spouse is under age