Closed Doors

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey everyone

Someone once told me that if God see's a person who is not repenting and He knows in the future he/she will not repent then He will "close the door" on them. Is God giving up or is this His justice?

Comments

• The door is closed in death. Until then, every morning that the person wakes up to is another day that God gives for the repentance of that soul.
  • St. Paul says something along the lines of "delivering them to a rejected conscience".. God is Almighty and knows everything before it happens as He holds the reins and knows all the rules of how the universe goes round.. but He is most merciful and longs for giving these persons one chance after another actively, even though He knows who'll respond, and who not
    Oujai
  • [quote author=I Believe link=topic=12638.msg148398#msg148398 date=1322948275]
    Hey everyone

Someone once told me that if God see's a person who is not repenting and He knows in the future he/she will not repent then He will "close the door" on them. Is God giving up or is this His justice?

Our relationship though different is still a relationship. If we never invite our friends to our home and deprive ourselves of building a strong relationship, there will be no reason for me to be expected to go to this random person's house since our relationship never really existed. I think the same applies with God. "Truly truly I do not know you."
  • Sorry, but this scenario does not make much sense. Let us just entertain it: If that person ends up repenting, will he face a closed door? That is an absurdity, because the door was closed only because he will not repent?!

Is the scenario merely to say that God will not attempt to call him? Is this what you mean by "closing the door"?
  • God is not mocked.

We should not consider whether other people will be given a longer time and more opportunities to repent.

We should be concerned with ourselves. There is a point when we have so driven grace from our hearts by continual sin that we are no longer able to repent and do not wish to.

The Scriptures are clear. TODAY is the day of salvation. We must not presume that God will grant us grace tomorrow if we reject Him wilfully today.

The prodigal son came to his senses, but most of the Pharisees did not. The publican knew that he was a sinner, but the Pharisee did not. Yet the Pharisees thought that they had nothing to repent of.

God does know how we will live. And there does come a time when we pass the tipping point, not because of God, but because of our own choices. We must not presume that we can wait to amend our lives at some future date. If we do not want to repent now then we will may not be willing to repent tomorrow.

This has nothing to do with considering some other person. What is that to do with us. We do not know their hearts. But we should certainly warn ourselves and others that TODAY is the day of salvation. Tomorrow may be too late, both because we so harden our hearts that we will never choose to repent, or because we may be taken in death.
  • "We then, as workers together with Him also plead with you not to receive the grace of God in vain.
    For He says:
    [center]In an acceptable time I have heard you,
    And in the day of salvation I have helped you.
    Behold, now is the accepted time;
    Behold, now is the day of salvation[/center]
    [right]- 2 Cor. 6:1-2[/right]

Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says:
    [center]Today, if you will hear His voice,
    Do not harden your hearts as int he rebellion,
    In the day of trial in the wilderness...[/center]
    [right]- Hebrews 3:7-8[/right]

• This life is for the next, not for the moment.

• I do feel some people take things for granted. For instance, after we have taken communion, we are newly baptisted when we do so, our past sins are forgotten and forgiven. But after church some people talk about previous sin or even worse other peoples sin. To me there does not seem to be the work reqiured for the sacrifice to God of a broken heart.