New HCOC Production: Kiahk Midnight Praise

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
The HCOC has released its largest production thus far, and it is the 13 CDs production of the Rite and Hymns of the Kiahk Midnight Praise. Get yourself prepared for the 7&4 vigils, and also be in the spirit of the Advent season while you’re at home or travelling, by getting yourself a copy of this production today!

You can order a copy of the CDs, three of which are FREE (you’re only paying for the cost of 10 CDs!) from orthodoxbookstore.org. If you prefer buying the production as mp3’s, the digital distribution of this production through cdbaby.com will be available on Hathor 30 (December 10).

For more details, click here:
http://www.copticheritage.org/productions/the_rite_and_hymns_of_the_kiahk_midnight_praise

Comments

• where is the list of tracks?
  • Yeah a track list would be great.

BTW, the video has a typo at the 3 minute mark. . ."proffessionally". . just one too many "f's"

Looks like a great production though!
  • Hi Mina,

I'll work on a pdf of the track list today and put it up.

I wasn't gonna have one up because all the tracks and samples will be listed on cdbaby.com.
  • The track list is up now. Here's the direct link to the pdf file:

http://images.copticheritage.org/productions/pdf/Kiahk_Midnight_Praise_Tracks.pdf
  • thanks Biboboy......
    since you are doing this, i think the arabic hymns shouldn't be called "Psali".....only if they are alphabetically ordered you can call them psalies. In fact it would just be "an arabic psali"
  • Is there a digital version, or just CDs?
  • @mina: who said all the Psali's are alphabetically ordered? How else would you translate "Madeeha"?

@peter: the digital version will be available on Dec. 10, as mentioned in the announcement.
  • [quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12631.msg148290#msg148290 date=1322774909]
    @mina: who said all the Psali's are alphabetically ordered? How else would you translate "Madeeha"?
    don't tell Albair didn't teach you this. By definition, a coptic psali of coptic tradition must be alphabetically ordered....there are 3 ways of ordering the coptic alphabet so that varies. Many madayeh are ordered that way, on the arabic alphabet--the arabic madeha (written by Abou El-saad that is said after Ti-shelet inkatharos, psali watos of vespers praise is that way. It is considered an Arabic Psali. Abouna Abdel Masseh el-mas'oudi wrote many that way to.

a madeha in it's essence is more like a glorification.......but I ahve always used the word Hymn to replace it since it is a glorification that is chanted. people always say in arabic "madeh el-nas" meaning the glory that comes from people referring the to vain/worldly glory.

@peter: the digital version will be available on Dec. 10, as mentioned in the announcement.

• @mina: there are Coptic Psali's in the Annual Psalmody book that are not ordered alphabetically. Take a look at the weekday Psali's for Christ.

Psali just means song. It's the same word for madeeha or tarteela, which is what it is.

In the Kiahk rite, the Arabic madeeha, which we translated as Arabic Psali in the production, has the same tune as the Coptic Psali's, whether the Adam or the Watos. Even in some Psalmodies, they call many of them "Arabic Psali."

Therefore, it's correct to call these Arabic "madayeh" as Psali's in English.
  • [quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12631.msg148295#msg148295 date=1322779759]
    @mina: there are Coptic Psali's in the Annual Psalmody book that are not ordered alphabetically. Take a look at the weekday Psali's for Christ.
    I should of said that the Weekdays psalies are the exception (Even thoo: afti-emiponof, aicotem, ainahti, aikoti, ani-ana ensho ensho (monday),  amoo sharon (tuesday) follow that rule). only wed-fri psalies break that rule. Also ALL the seasonal psalies follow that rule. If you look at the book of Annual psalies (part 1 and 2) which i am fortunate to have a copy of, all follow those. Fr. Shenouda Maher, a respected contemporary scholar, wrote a an psali for Saint Mark and he followed this rule.

Psali just means song. It's the same word for madeeha or tarteela, which is what it is.

madeha is not a song. the only reason you may call it a song is because it is sung. which is the same reason I am using 'Hymn' and it is better to use a different word to refer to it.

In the Kiahk rite, the Arabic madeeha, which we translated as Arabic Psali in the production, has the same tune as the Coptic Psali's, whether the Adam or the Watos. Even in some Psalmodies, they call many of them "Arabic Psali."

in kiahk, the tune of all midnight madayeh follow those of psalies accordingly (adam or watos). In the sourian psalmody, the distinction between a madeha and an arabic psalies is made (since you have 2 differnt words in arabic).

Therefore, it's correct to call these Arabic "madayeh" as Psali's in English.

i really don't know how you guys do things up there in Canada......but i just believe the distinction is everything we do or refer to hymns is important. call it whatever you want. just know that what you do effects many other people as little as it is--a five letter word.
  • We cannot use the word "hymn" for "madeeha," since that's the translation we use for the word "la7n."

Arabic Madeeha's and Coptic Psali's have these in common:
    1) The same tune.
    2) Many verses, which are chanted in a recitative tune (relative to what we call "la7n" in our music, which is given to hymns with a few sentences of lyrics and many melisma).
    3) A Madeeha could be sorted alphabetically or not, just as a Psali could be sorted alphabetically or not.
    4) They follow the same structure of the Hebrew Psalms.

Therefore, it is correct to translate the Arabic word "Madeeha" as "Psali," rather than "Hymn" as you suggested.
  • [quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12631.msg148298#msg148298 date=1322783132]
    We cannot use the word "hymn" for "madeeha," since that's the translation we use for the word "la7n."
    the word lahn means melody or tune. the word hymn is more like tartella...more liturgical than "melody."

Arabic Madeeha's and Coptic Psali's have these in common:
    1) The same tune.

so will you only call them "Psali" in kiahk and not the rest of the year which they are unique in their tunes?

2) Many verses, which are chanted in a recitative tune (relative to what we call "la7n" in our music, which is given to hymns with a few sentences of lyrics and many melisma).

3) A Madeeha could be sorted alphabetically or not, just as a Psali could be sorted alphabetically or not.

i refuse to believe that. I think i used enough examples and there are enough evidence in our entire liturgical rite to follow that opinion. you should do a little more research.

4) They follow the same structure of the Hebrew Psalms.

I am sorry but almost EVERYTHING in our hymnody follow that structure. EVERY arabic madeha, every psalie, doxology, theotokia......i don't have time to list all.
  • @Mina: the decision for the translation was not mine to make. I'm only informing you of the logic we had for our translations, and yes, we try our best (as humanly possible) to remain consistent.

"Remind them of this, and warn them before God* that they are to avoid wrangling over words, which does no good but only ruins those who are listening" (2 Tim. 2:14).
  • [quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12631.msg148301#msg148301 date=1322787155]
    @Mina: the decision for the translation was not mine to make. I'm only informing you of the logic we had for our translations, and yes, we try our best (as humanly possible) to remain consistent.

than speak to them if you believe believe what I am saying. I am sorry but you guys are still in the beginning of everything. change to what's right is wrong. it might be harder to get used to but not impossible.

"Remind them of this, and warn them before God* that they are to avoid wrangling over words, which does no good but only ruins those who are listening" (2 Tim. 2:14).

who said we are "wrangling" over words?! we are simply talking. If i sound that annoyed, than I am sorry. I am not. I am just very zealous on what i believe to be true or close to be in non-absolute matters. I agree that changes and fights over 'words runs those who listen' but leaving words and basing standards based on only one's opinion destroys those who hear. these simple things matter to those who are begining to learn. 
  • As a brotherly suggestion, I hope you put your zealoutry to use in the content of the Coptic hymns, translating them to show their spiritual meaning and significance to those who do not understand them or find no use for them.

That will be a far more fruitful service than arguing about what's the translation of the Arabic word "madeeha" into English, which has no significance whatever to our prayer and spiritual lives. It's like getting into an argument about what to translate the title of the Bible - should it be called the "Bible," or "Scriptures," or, in contemporary English, the "Book"? It doesn't matter, because what matters is the content.

So, please stop the unnecessary criticism over titles, in order to allow us to grow in this Advent season with this new production that would aid us through listening to its contents to get to the heights of spirituality.
  • Who said I don't?! my own services are my own concern until i announce them to be for everyone to criticize.
    I actually asked Albair to help him in translating his khdimit shamas since i had most of the text typed up and translated already......and he choose not to accept my help.

there is a saying in arabic "el-gawab ye ban min 'enwano" if the title is not accepted or understood, how can one know what the hymn is.

i am not criticizing the production.......you do what you want with your time and life to God.

you know more i get into these argument the more i learn about people.....yet i am never surprised with the results which i'll keep to myself.

tasgeel out.......
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12631.msg148304#msg148304 date=1322791548]
    Who said I don't?! my own services are my own concern until i announce them to be for everyone to criticize.
    I actually asked Albair to help him in translating his khdimit shamas since i had most of the text typed up and translated already......and he choose not to accept my help.

there is a saying in arabic "el-gawab ye ban min 'enwano" if the title is not accepted or understood, how can one know what the hymn is.

i am not criticizing the production.......you do what you want with your time and life to God.

you know more i get into these argument the more i learn about people.....yet i am never surprised with the results which i'll keep to myself.

tasgeel out.......

There is a huge difference between a madee7a and a psali in the liturgical Tradition and the rite for each, so we cannot mix them both up and confuse them.
  • I'm afraid you're making up that "huge" exaggeration.

The Coptic Encyclopedia translates the Arabic word "Madeeha" into "Psali" in English. It has the following to say in the fourth section of its entry on Coptic Music:

4. The Psalis (Coptic: 'ali, Psali; Arabic: ABSALIYYAH, or madih, pl. mada’ih, “praise, laudation”) are metrical hymns that accompany either a Theotokia or hos. Muyser and YASSA ‘ABD AL-MASIH have published detailed editions of certain Psalis, using manuscripts dating from the fourteenth and eighteenth centuries. Their articles serve to demonstrate the high level of technique in handling Coptic rhymes and rhythms attained by Psali authors. Every Psali has from twenty-six to forty-six strophes, each of which is a rhymed quatrain; the rhyming schemes may vary. The strophes are often arranged in acrostic order according to the Coptic or Greek alphabet by the first letter of each strophe. Some are even in double acrostic, and others in reverse acrostic. Such patterns serve as mnemonic devices, enabling the singers to perform the hymns in their entirety with no omissions.
    One feature which makes the Psalis very popular is the refrain, an element rarely found in the ritual pieces of the liturgies and canonical hours, or in the hos and Theotokia of the service of Psalmodia. Usually the refrain is made by repeating only the fourth line of the strophe, but sometimes both the third and fourth lines are repeated.
    Another unusual aspect of the Psalis is that, except for a few paraphrases reserved for Kiyahk, these are the only pieces of Coptic music whose authors are identified in the texts. The writer’s name may be found embedded in a strophe, with a plea for mercy and pardon from sin, and with mention of him as “the poor servant” or “a poor sinner.” In the paraphrases, the author’s name may be given in acrostic form as the first letter of each strophe of the hymn, or as the initial letter of each of a set of hymns arranged seriatim.
    Most Psalis are to be sung either to the melody-type Adam or Batos, depending on the day of the week, and are thus designated as Psali Adam or Psali Batos. However, certain ones specify the title of another familiar Psali or hymn to whose melody they may be sung. These melodies are rhythmic and syllabic, that is, the notes match the texts with little trace of melisma or improvisation; their range usually covers four, or at most, five tones; they swing along in quasi-parlando style, and emphasis on textual and melodic accents makes them easy to sing, all of which encourages congregational participation. The very simplicity of these hymns leads the listener to speculate that herein lies the oldest core of ancient Egyptian melody.

A few Psalis are written in both Coptic and Greek, some in both Coptic and Arabic, and others in Arabic alone. Only one manuscript entirely in Greek has been discovered (Church of Saint Barbara, Old Cairo, History 8, 1385). Most Psalis, however, are in the Bohairic dialect, and the date of their composition is unknown. It is probable that some are no earlier than the thirteenth century. On the other hand, certain Psalis in the Sahidic dialect have been assigned to the ninth and tenth centuries (Morgan Collection, vol. XIII). These latter are in acrostic order, according to the letters of the alphabet, and they are unrhymed.
  • The Production is Very nice. I would have to agree with Bibo on something, that I would rather prepare for the advent season that wonder what everything is called. Forgive me, but it may be such arguments that the Lord was against. God wants my heart to be according to his will, and so, some stress must be placed on being correct on a lot of things. However, what I call a hymn has little to do with the message. May God help us focus on His coming during this advent season, rather than the semantics.

Apart from that, this production can serve as a ground to unify praise on. For example, "Amdah Fel Batool" the way it is often sung, is a little to wild to be sung in church in my opinion. This recording has a nice and organized way of singing. I was just listening to the production today, and I was in another world. The hymns are extremely uplifting, and spiritually inspiring.

May the prayers of the Mother of God be with us this season, and may her hands which carried her son, carry our hearts and present them before the Master.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • I agree, guys just go out there and buy the production! Cantor Gad's rendition of The Great Canticle is amazing! (Can you tell which cantor i favour? lol just kidding...we wont stsrt this again :) As every year, I can't wait til Kiahk and although no production or parish is perfect, I thank those who care enough to make the efforts to translate and accurately record our wonderful hymns such as you Mina, and Bish and such as Albair and many others. You guys are such a blessing from God and I hope you all enjoy and benefit from the production and from Kiahks prayers itself. Save your energies for the loong nights ahead :)
  • [quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12631.msg148306#msg148306 date=1322799255]
    I'm afraid you're making up that "huge" exaggeration.

The Coptic Encyclopedia translates the Arabic word "Madeeha" into "Psali" in English. It has the following to say in the fourth section of its entry on Coptic Music:

4. The Psalis (Coptic: 'ali, Psali; Arabic: ABSALIYYAH, or madih, pl. mada’ih, “praise, laudation”) are metrical hymns that accompany either a Theotokia or hos. Muyser and YASSA ‘ABD AL-MASIH have published detailed editions of certain Psalis, using manuscripts dating from the fourteenth and eighteenth centuries. Their articles serve to demonstrate the high level of technique in handling Coptic rhymes and rhythms attained by Psali authors. Every Psali has from twenty-six to forty-six strophes, each of which is a rhymed quatrain; the rhyming schemes may vary. The strophes are often arranged in acrostic order according to the Coptic or Greek alphabet by the first letter of each strophe. Some are even in double acrostic, and others in reverse acrostic. Such patterns serve as mnemonic devices, enabling the singers to perform the hymns in their entirety with no omissions.
    One feature which makes the Psalis very popular is the refrain, an element rarely found in the ritual pieces of the liturgies and canonical hours, or in the hos and Theotokia of the service of Psalmodia. Usually the refrain is made by repeating only the fourth line of the strophe, but sometimes both the third and fourth lines are repeated.
    Another unusual aspect of the Psalis is that, except for a few paraphrases reserved for Kiyahk, these are the only pieces of Coptic music whose authors are identified in the texts. The writer’s name may be found embedded in a strophe, with a plea for mercy and pardon from sin, and with mention of him as “the poor servant” or “a poor sinner.” In the paraphrases, the author’s name may be given in acrostic form as the first letter of each strophe of the hymn, or as the initial letter of each of a set of hymns arranged seriatim.
    Most Psalis are to be sung either to the melody-type Adam or Batos, depending on the day of the week, and are thus designated as Psali Adam or Psali Batos. However, certain ones specify the title of another familiar Psali or hymn to whose melody they may be sung. These melodies are rhythmic and syllabic, that is, the notes match the texts with little trace of melisma or improvisation; their range usually covers four, or at most, five tones; they swing along in quasi-parlando style, and emphasis on textual and melodic accents makes them easy to sing, all of which encourages congregational participation. The very simplicity of these hymns leads the listener to speculate that herein lies the oldest core of ancient Egyptian melody.

A few Psalis are written in both Coptic and Greek, some in both Coptic and Arabic, and others in Arabic alone. Only one manuscript entirely in Greek has been discovered (Church of Saint Barbara, Old Cairo, History 8, 1385). Most Psalis, however, are in the Bohairic dialect, and the date of their composition is unknown. It is probable that some are no earlier than the thirteenth century. On the other hand, certain Psalis in the Sahidic dialect have been assigned to the ninth and tenth centuries (Morgan Collection, vol. XIII). These latter are in acrostic order, according to the letters of the alphabet, and they are unrhymed.

Psalis in the liturgical rites are part of the tasbeha and are usually authored so that their verses start with the Coptic alphabet letters. Madee7as on the other hand are authored in Arabic and are not part of the tasbe7a. Yes, they were added, recently, to the kiahk tasbe7a but were not originally part of it.

Madee7as are normally chanted during communion and in no way we can call them psalis within the liturgical rite.

Every Tadakeya has a psali and Hoses have psalis that ought to be prayed. Made7as are not part of this liturgical rite.

In summary, there is a liturgical difference between a psali and a madee7a. Translating a madee7a to "psali" confuses this liturgical difference.

I just want to make that difference clear.
  • You can now buy two of the HCOC productions for Kiahk as mp3 downloads from CDbaby.com:

1) The NEWLY RELEASED production of the Rite and Hymns of the Kiahk Midnight Praise.
    2) The production of the Rite and Hymns of the Kiahk Sunday Vespers Praise.

Remember that you can still order those productions as hardcopies in CD format from our online distributor, orthodoxbookstore.org, and your local parish’s bookstore.