Importance of Fasting

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey all,
this is a great article about the essence of fasting, for all of us that struggle to understand the meaning of fasting.
as the nativity fast is approaching, its important to know what role fasting plays.

http://fatherstephen.wordpress.com/2011/11/12/the-nativity-fast-why-we-fast-2/

Happy thanksgiving :)

Comments

• I know fasting pleases God otherwise Jesus would not have taught it not would John the baptist or the prophets practiced it. Jesus said when you fast wash your face and put oil in order to hide it. He said mountains can be moved with fasting and prayer.
    However I do not even practice the church fasts anymore because I actually felt very sick and not able to think and I was looking pathetically thin. Now I look much better.
    I must not have practiced it wisely but I don't know if anyone can guide me to fast properly, maybe my FOC but I sometimes think he is easy on me with fasting and sometimes hard so I don't know what to do.
    Jesus said if we do not practice fasting properly we would break like the wine bottles
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12599.msg147937#msg147937 date=1322107103]
    I know fasting pleases God otherwise Jesus would not have taught it not would John the baptist or the prophets practiced it. Jesus said when you fast wash your face and put oil in order to hide it. He said mountains can be moved with fasting and prayer.
    However I do not even practice the church fasts anymore because I actually felt very sick and not able to think and I was looking pathetically thin. Now I look much better.
    I must not have practiced it wisely but I don't know if anyone can guide me to fast properly, maybe my FOC but I sometimes think he is easy on me with fasting and sometimes hard so I don't know what to do.
    Jesus said if we do not practice fasting properly we would break like the wine bottles
    theres Nothing better or more rewarding than struggling for God.
  • Yes but why is it that God needs our fasting exacly? In the old testament we see God said "Turn to Me with all your heart, with fasting, and weeping" and God spared the people. He said let the prophets weep between the altar and say Spare your people and bless your inheritance.
    Obviously they needed to fast because of their many sins or great sins to show repentance, but would God accept our prayers on behalf of someone else?

Why does St Paul instruct us to pray for all men, saying God desires the salvation of all?
    Does that mean people will not be saved without our prayers?

Can our prayers really change someones heart and make them willing to accept Jesus? what happened to free will?

I remember Jesus said if He had done the miracles he did to the jews to the people of sodom and gommorah they would have repented in sackcloth and ashes. Perhaps that means we can do a favour for some people and bring them to heaven through our prayers? instead of them needing to go to hell?

Why does not God move mountains without fasting? when will God choose to answer our prayers and when will He not?

If we really want something will God only give it to us if we fast? does that mean God wants to see us torture and punish ourselves?

5 Is it a fast that I have chosen,
          A day for a man to afflict his soul?
          Is it to bow down his head like a bulrush,
          And to spread out sackcloth and ashes?
          Would you call this a fast,
          And an acceptable day to the LORD?
          6 “ Is this not the fast that I have chosen:
          To loose the bonds of wickedness,
          To undo the heavy burdens,
          To let the oppressed go free,
          And that you break every yoke?
          7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
          And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out;
          When you see the naked, that you cover him,
          And not hide yourself from your own flesh?
          8 Then your light shall break forth like the morning,
          Your healing shall spring forth speedily,
          And your righteousness shall go before you;
          The glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.
          9 Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer;
          You shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’

• Does that mean people should leave their work and flock to the churches to pray all the time? should they lose their passion for work to pray at all times?
    ofcourse that seems ridiculus. God will be pleased more with 10 minutes of prayer at night after you finish work than to pray at all times unless you are called to this.
    Abba Arsanios once prayed from sun rise to sun set and God spared the whole world from famine or was that a different saint?

• [quote author=ForeverYours link=topic=12599.msg147935#msg147935 date=1322104030]
    hey all,
    this is a great article about the essence of fasting, for all of us that struggle to understand the meaning of fasting.
    as the nativity fast is approaching, its important to know what role fasting plays.

http://fatherstephen.wordpress.com/2011/11/12/the-nativity-fast-why-we-fast-2/

Happy thanksgiving :)

Great article! Thanks for sharing :-)
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12599.msg147940#msg147940 date=1322111992]
    Yes but why is it that God needs our fasting exacly?

In the old testament we see God said "Turn to Me with all your heart, with fasting, and weeping" and God spared the people. He said let the prophets weep between the altar and say Spare your people and bless your inheritance.
    Obviously they needed to fast because of their many sins or great sins to show repentance, but would God accept our prayers on behalf of someone else?

Why does St Paul instruct us to pray for all men, saying God desires the salvation of all?

Can our prayers really change someones heart and make them willing to accept Jesus? what happened to free will?

I remember Jesus said if He had done the miracles he did to the jews to the people of sodom and gommorah they would have repented in sackcloth and ashes. Perhaps that means we can do a favour for some people and bring them to heaven through our prayers? instead of them needing to go to hell?

Why does not God move mountains without fasting? when will God choose to answer our prayers and when will He not?

If we really want something will God only give it to us if we fast? does that mean God wants to see us torture and punish ourselves?

i highly suggest you read this article, it addresses why we fast. it's not to please God--He does not NEED your fast; you fast to looseen the dependence on material things, like food.
    2nd- God works in many many ways. He will move mountains with or without fasting. but generally, prayer & fasting go hand in hand.

regarding your question about praying for others, we pray that God may soften another person's heart, but they will change only with their free will. there's many examples of the saints praying for each other, like 'God, be with this person", etc..

i hope i answered your questions
  • If it does not please God then why should we fast? if it does not benefit us why should we fast?

[quote author=ForeverYours link=topic=12599.msg147958#msg147958 date=1322162170]

regarding your question about praying for others, we pray that God may soften another person's heart, but they will change only with their free will. there's many examples of the saints praying for each other, like 'God, be with this person", etc..

But if our prayer makes God soften their heart with their free will, it means they would never accepted Jesus without our prayer.
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12599.msg147976#msg147976 date=1322179247]
    If it does not please God then why should we fast? if it does not benefit us why should we fast?

[quote author=ForeverYours link=topic=12599.msg147958#msg147958 date=1322162170]

But if our prayer makes God soften their heart with their free will, it means they would never accepted Jesus without our prayer.

fasting does benefit us, read the article, it explains it really well

and SOMETIMES, your prayer for another person makes all the difference, other times when u pray for someone, God takes it into account, and you will see the results later.
    for example, i know this girl who was far from church. her cousin used to pray for her every week in sunday school that she would go to church. years later, she not only went to church, but is living a Christian life.

so, her cousin's prayers were not ignored, but they were not the determining factor for the girls salvation.

in the end, pray for others, because God hears you, and will answer it in His perfect time and way.

• but they were not the determining factor for the girld salvation

that example seems to suggest it was, atleast without the prayer she would not have improved
  • +user157, the answers are simple

[quote author=user157 link=topic=12599.msg147981#msg147981 date=1322195743]

but they were not the determining factor for the girld salvation

that example seems to suggest it was, atleast without the prayer she would not have improved

Thoughts of each day of the Year
    by Saint Theopan the Recluse

" Behold, your house is left unto you desolate , the Lord said about Jerusalem. This means that there is a measure to God’s longsuffering. God’s mercy is ready to be eternally patient, awaiting good; but what should He do when we reach such disorder that helping us is pointless? This is why we are abandoned. So it will be in eternity as well. Everyone says, “God’s mercy will not allow people to be eternally outcast.” It does not want this; but what can one do with those who are filled with evil and do not want to correct themselves? They put themselves beyond the limits of God’s mercy, and are left there because they do not want to leave."

When this occurs, prayer is necessary.
    Prayers are also a form of unification between the church members.

[quote author=user157 link=topic=12599.msg147937#msg147937 date=1322107103]

Your confession Father should be the only person to tell you how to fast, (when to start/stop, how ascetic or easy you should be). Whatever he says to you... follow it - obedience. No questions about it.

[quote author=user157 link=topic=12599.msg147940#msg147940 date=1322111992]
    Yes but why is it that God needs our fasting exactly? In the Old Testament we see God said "Turn to Me with all your heart, with fasting, and weeping" and God spared the people. He said let the prophets weep between the altar and say Spare your people and bless your inheritance.

Yes. Think of Saint Mary praying for her children, God accepts her intercession.

Can our prayers really change someone’s heart and make them willing to accept Jesus? what happened to free will?

Yes. Think of Saint Monica's prayers on behalf of her son Augustine.
    The person, who WILLINGLY saturates themself in sin, has chosen his path and continues on it. They need guidance, because doing "what is good in our own eyes" - being a fallen nature without God - leads to destruction.
    Yes. Prayers do change hearts. (The most obvious example is your heart when you pray, and after you pray)... God does something beyond our comprehension).
    Even if you pray about it and the person is still far from God's love, look at the small blessings God has done for that person. With those small blessings gradually comes to be God's plan in action. Also look at the compassion He has allowed you to feel towards people who are far from God's goodness.

Why does not God move mountains without fasting? When will God choose to answer our prayers and when will He not?
    If we really want something will God only give it to us if we fast? Does that mean God wants to see us torture and punish ourselves?
    When will God give us something? ..when it benefits us. When will God not give us something? ..when it doesn't benefit.

Punishing ourselves? Fasting is far from torture or punishment. It is a freedom from worldly necessities. We need to first free our body to free our spirit- which is much stronger than the body... how can we free our stronger spirit when we haven't overcome this weaker body? The fathers give an example of the body and spirit in an analogy of an Eagle and a Dog tied together by rope. The dog is the body and the eagle is the spirit. When we feed the dog it becomes heavy and brings the eagle down. However, when we feed our spirit, it carries the dog and soars up to God.

I'm sure that at least one moment in your life, you have felt the effect of fasting, in a way that soars you up to God. Think of Great Friday, Passion week...
    Any time when you really don't care for the comfort of your body but rather be enjoying God in His greatness - was most probably when you are fasting correctly or feasting without abundance.

Don't let thoughts of avoiding the fast or questioning the fast persist with you. They are just seeds from the devil preventing you from such a great treasure that your soul thirsts for.
  • Thanks I lovejesus. I will give serious thought to what you have said
    If someoe people do not want to change how will praying for them make any difference?
    The only thing I can think of is praying that more of God's goodness which leads to repentance reaches them, such as God solving their personal problems or helping them do good in study or giving them friends or people that are their fans but then they will have to give account for abusing this kindness as some people were not given this favour
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12599.msg148038#msg148038 date=1322434169]
    Thanks I lovejesus. I will give serious thought to what you have said
    If someoe people do not want to change how will praying for them make any difference?
    The only thing I can think of is praying that more of God's goodness which leads to repentance reaches them, such as God solving their personal problems or helping them do good in study or giving them friends or people that are their fans but then they will have to give account for abusing this kindness as some people were not given this favour

+A person's free will is a major part of this. A person won't change without them actually wanting to change. God's ready to accept them as soon as they 'come to themself'.. a way that they could come to themself, can be those blessings you said.. another way is like being in a deep pit that they feel helpless (like the parable of the prodigal son).

You can pray all you want for that person but if they don't want to change, they won't.. Our prayers are just out of love for eachother, just the thought of someone not experiencing God and His goodness moves a person to pray, and in holding onto what God said, 'ask and it will be given, seek and you will find, knock and it shall opened to you' ..nothing less.

In conclusion, prayers can do the impossible, but a person's free will stops it - blaspheming the Holy Spirit (rejecting repentance all throughout one's life).

God wants people who willingly love Him, He doesn't want robots.
    Anyways focus on your spirituality, because you can willingly give your life to God and can put yourself in God's hands to change you.
  • ok thanks brother