How far does God helps people?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Dear all,

I have a question to you all. Let us say there is one student who did not prepare very well for the finals and the exam arrived. At that time the student prayed to God to help him in the exams. Will his prayers be answered? how far does God involve in our lives? or how does God help you in your duties?

Thank you

Comments

• this is what i know and im sure everyone here is going to bash me for it, so dont blow up your keyboard replying

god doesnt really help you at all. i mean if you didnt study for a test then your not going to get a good grade whereas  if you did study your bound to get a good grade. both will happen with or without prayer. god had nothing to do with it.

people just say "god helped me" to be cute and pretend to be spiritual. it really annoying.

• God does help.

"Ask and it will be given to you". Prayers are real. They work.

God doesn't do the work for us; He is a Fair God.

If someone did their part, He will, out of His Mercy and Love, bless the rest.

God was with Joseph, and Joseph was a successful man.

People, ignorantly and arrogantly, give themselves the glory. It's not just pride, but also theft.

Give God the Glory!
  • its a completely ridiculous idea because the person who studied did the work not god.

if someone is studying and asks his friend for help, and the friend just sits there and says "yeah,you will do fine."

then when it is test time you end up getting 100%, you dont acknowledge your friend as him helping you, you acknowledge him as a jerk for just sitting there and doing nothing
  • Are you calling God a "jerk"?

Crazy4Myself1, you have serious issues. I advise you to speak with your FOC instead of posting nonsense.

If don't believe in God's power, then feel free to convert to Islam. They'll be happy to use you.
  • TITL, thank you so much you advice is really helping me hate you and the people on this site more and more
  • I don't mind that.

What I do mind is name calling, face spitting, and Glory stealing from our Lord.

Just because you cannot physically see His help, doesn't mean He sits in the corner waiting for you to be successful on your own. We cannot do anything on our own.

The fact that you're still breathing right now means He is still having mercy. Give Him the Glory.

You are where you are because of God's grace.

Stop stealing from Him.
  • Saint Augustine said Work as though everything depended on you and pray as though everything depended on God.
    God can move the heart of the teacher to mark easy. It is true and pope kyrillos said it in one of his prayers. Also he moves the teacher to make the exam more reasonable and the teacher is rewarded for his kindness.

Beloved I pray that you may prosper and be in health even as your soul prospers

God said I gave you brain and brawn to work

Solomon said the hand of the diligent shall rule.

You should consider all that God has given to mankind to help you study such as buying a good voice recorder which records perfectly and see what else there is.

Jesus said Give and it shall be given to you. Into your bosom and running over

God also said you must knock if you want the door to be open yet he still gives sun and rain to the good and evil alike. He wants you to help yourself and not wait for others to help you or even for God to help you because God really is fair to all people. Yet he desires mercy in a man to help others whenever they can.

David said Praise the LORD ALL YOU People for He will judge the world in righteousness and fairness

• Crazy4Myself1,

Don't worry about praying for a place in Heaven. You can get there yourself.

Don't worry about praying for any virtues. You can teach yourself.

Don't worry about praying for any struggles or weaknesses. You can overcome them yourself.

Better yet, don't worry about praying at all. You can do all things yourself.

• I like the verse:
    "neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase" 1 Corinthians 3:7

Though Paul uses this to explain ministry, I think it applies to a lot of things. If you think about that analogy and consider a farmer who works so hard to plant his crops and waters them and cares for them, and they eventually produce fruit. Who was the one that provided the fruit? Well the farmer sure did a lot of work, but was it him that actually made the plants grow? No, it was God. God was the one that blessed the farmer's efforts and let it be productive

In all that we do, we have no guarantee that our labors will produce fruits. We can study so hard for an exam and still do poorly on it. It is ultimately God who blesses our labors to produce fruit. Of course if we don't do any work, there will be nothing for God to bless, so we still need to work diligently, but always remember that it is "God who gives the increase"
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

This:
    [quote author=andrewabdelmessih link=topic=12523.msg146947#msg146947 date=1320242454]
    Saint Augustine said Work as though everything depended on you and pray as though everything depended on God.

One of my teachers used to tell me, 'Just do your best and leave the rest to God Almighty's ruling.' One cannot expect to do well if one does not do the work. In the case of an exam, should a person not study, take the exam and receive a good mark, it is because God has shown mercy towards that person, not because the person earned it. That does not mean that this person should continue to expect such a result. One must study in order to expect to do well. In all aspects of our lives, including our spiritual life, we are to work in synergy with God. In all of Christ's teachings, He tells us to do or act in a certain fashion and He will provide the rest. We are not to remain idle and just expect God to do something.

Crazy4Christ1,

I'm not sure what has happened, but it seems you have fallen into some sort of rut. No criticism meant, it happens to everyone. For what it's worth, I would suggest that you take a break from this forum and speak with a close friend who you may view as a spiritual adviser or your FoC. Either way, definitely take a break from this forum. It will probably help a lot.
  • [quote author=Crazy4Christ1 link=topic=12523.msg146939#msg146939 date=1320238568]
    this is what i know and im sure everyone here is going to bash me for it, so dont blow up your keyboard replying

god doesnt really help you at all. i mean if you didnt study for a test then your not going to get a good grade whereas  if you did study your bound to get a good grade. both will happen with or without prayer. god had nothing to do with it.

people just say "god helped me" to be cute and pretend to be spiritual. it really annoying.

I've taken tests where I didn't study at all and I received one of the highest grades in the class and I have also studied a lot for certain tests and received a low grade...God has definitely helped me throughout my Undergraduate degree and is currently helping me with my Graduate degree...and I'm not trying to be "cute" or "pretend[ing] to be spiritual" either...I really mean that...but I suppose you must experience it or look closer in your academic life to see God's work in it.
  • [quote author=Crazy4Christ1 link=topic=12523.msg146943#msg146943 date=1320240093]
    then when it is test time you end up getting 100%, you dont acknowledge your friend as him helping you, you acknowledge him as a jerk for just sitting there and doing nothing

I'm having a hard time digesting this.

For the record, you cannot compare our God with the kids from school. You're metaphor is out of place.

You're idea of God is out of place.

I repeat Cephas' words:

I would suggest that you take a break from this forum

• Pope Kerrelos VI....student used to go to him for blessings before exams. So he used to take their books and mark a couple of pages from the to study from. The student found out that all the questions on the games came out of those pages he choose. Does that count as help from God..

I can't believe I am saying this: Morgan Freeman in Even Almighty, playing God, said that God gives opportunity or incentive to do or to have something.

God can lead to the right path to take. That is considered a great help given from the Almighty One.
  • I agree with most of you- I've been in college for a very short time, but God has already bailed me out of more than a few predicaments, and I feel like it's just to give me a small push to do work on my own (I basically have no work ethic, and I'm trying to change that).
  • Crazy4Christ,
    As far as your point of God not helping anyone I believe it is incorrect. the bible says that By Him we live, breathe and move. Meaning everything that we do is revolved around our Lords grace. The one who studies will do well because he put the effort and God will complete the rest. HE who didnt study may or may not receive a good grade depending on something for example. A good friend of mine during the time my mom passed away came from Long Island each day for the wakes and funerals and he had an exam. he did no studying whatsoever and got a 93 because God completed it for him. this person did something good for his brother who was less fortunate in any way, and god blessed him for it by rewarding him. Everything in our lives and each breath we take revolves around the Lord. To say that he doesnt do anything is very harsh and incorrect.

To TITL calm down. your points would be more accepted if you calmed down. It is great to be opinionated but dont flip out. think of what Jesus would do . I doubt when Christ wanted to bring the people to a new understanding he told them they are stupid and rocked them. He brought his lief to them with love. plz do the same

God Bless
  • I don't take calling the Almight God a "jerk" lightly. 

People can insult me all they want, but not my God.

God helps. Prayers work.

[quote author=christ_rose link=topic=12523.msg146973#msg146973 date=1320259617]
    To TITL calm down. your points would be more accepted if you calmed down. It is great to be opinionated but dont flip out. think of what Jesus would do . I doubt when Christ wanted to bring the people to a new understanding he told them they are stupid and rocked them. He brought his lief to them with love. plz do the same

Believe it or not, Christ_Rose, there is a LOT I've held back in this thread.
    I've restrained myself tremendously for Crazy4Myself1's sake.

I don't regret anything I said or how I said it.

This is me being calm.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12523.msg146974#msg146974 date=1320260191]
    I don't take calling the Almight God a "jerk" lightly. 

People can insult me all they want, but not my God.

God helps. Prayers work.

[quote author=christ_rose link=topic=12523.msg146973#msg146973 date=1320259617]

Believe it or not, Christ_Rose, there is a LOT I've held back in this thread.
    I've restrained myself tremendously for Crazy4Myself1's sake.

I don't regret anything I said or how I said it.

This is me being calm.

Lol, TITL, I like how you changed his name! ;)

• Hi binC,

God is involved in our lives when you follow him. When I say follow him, tjhat is to follow his commandments and read the parables. This give you direction and righteousness. They take you away from the weaknesses.

You are sent the Holy Spirit. But Jesus gave you a chose and so what would you expect if you went your own way in doing things and when a problem arose, you asked for God's help? You expect him to help you when your doing something your own way. What are you saying you believe in him but not follow. Expectations don't always happen the wat we want.
  • The A.S.K. Principle.

A.sk and you shall receive;
    S.eek and you  shall find;
    K.nock and it shall be opened unto you.

I think it is pretty clear.  Only a fool questions God.

There are three types of atheists:

1.  The arrogant, who thinks he is greater than God.
    2.  The immoral, who thinks that if he can erase God, it will allow for his immorality
    to reign without penalty.
    3.  The blamer, who thinks that God caused a difficult point to occur in his life or to someone close to them.

Only a fool questions the Presence of God.  God looks out for fools.  His Will is for the fool to give up his folly and to unite with His Will and Love.
  • Did you come up with the A.S.K. Principle on the spot?
  • Yes, sometimes I use mneumonics to help me memorize things (verses from the Holy Bible, etc.)
  • Permission to steal?

I'm a pro at proper citations, don't worry.