i want to be closer to god but i can't

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i feel as though the worlds closing in.  i run to god but he runs away.  its not that he doesn't help me he does and i feel ilke he solves my problems but they the solution usually does more harm then good.  for example ill ask job to help me with a job i do very well in that job and get more hours.  this results in me losing time for him.  and the cycle keeps going and I'm stretching out to the empty void where my god used to be. i see my friends get so close to him and cry that i can't,  that i dnt see him like i used too. where did he go and why is he helping me like this.  i can't quit my job or work less i have to pay for college, and i can't work harder because it'll cause more distance between us.  i recently became a servant in my church and am in fear that my negligence will spread.  i want to get closer to god but nothing works ....... i miss him how do i get back to him

Comments

• Prayer and repentance, my friend. Please watch this sermon from HH Pope Shenouda on how to come back to God, and meditate on it. Take it and act on it and you will return to God. He has never left you, and does not run from you. Use your desire to give more time to Him to your advantage, and in whatever moments you might have in your day (going to and from classes or work) praise Him and entreat Him with simple prayers, psalms, etc. Your life does not have to be a tug of war between the world and God. Remember that the world and everything in it is passing away, but His mercy endures forever. He wants you to come back to Him even more than you want to! So please do not be ashamed by what you haven't done, but be emboldened in every little action to reclaim your life for God.
  • Read my friend. Reading is the medium in which you can gain help from people who have been through the same thing and gain advice from the most articulate and advanced minds of our time.

If you are looking for a recommendation;

Mere Christianity - C. S. Lewis

God bless, I hope this works for you as it has for me.
  • are you thee coptic soldier? the famous one people know about it? It is a blessing to have you here. I don't know much about your group but I have seen it around
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12488.msg146822#msg146822 date=1319975457]
    are you thee coptic soldier? the famous one people know about it? It is a blessing to have you here. I don't know much about your group but I have seen it around

Haha that's me mate, but fame is nothing I can claim.

Believe me, the blessing is all mine.
  • [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=12488.msg146367#msg146367 date=1319260211]
    Prayer and repentance, my friend. Please watch this sermon from HH Pope Shenouda on how to come back to God, and meditate on it. Take it and act on it and you will return to God. He has never left you, and does not run from you. Use your desire to give more time to Him to your advantage, and in whatever moments you might have in your day (going to and from classes or work) praise Him and entreat Him with simple prayers, psalms, etc. Your life does not have to be a tug of war between the world and God. Remember that the world and everything in it is passing away, but His mercy endures forever. He wants you to come back to Him even more than you want to! So please do not be ashamed by what you haven't done, but be emboldened in every little action to reclaim your life for God.

Thanks so very much for posting the sermon dzheremi! It is Heavenly! Our Almighty God is truly amazing! I hardly have the words to describe my awe and wonder at His continued love for us!

GOD Bless
  • [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=12488.msg146367#msg146367 date=1319260211]
    Prayer and repentance, my friend. Please watch this sermon from HH Pope Shenouda on how to come back to God, and meditate on it. Take it and act on it and you will return to God. He has never left you, and does not run from you. Use your desire to give more time to Him to your advantage, and in whatever moments you might have in your day (going to and from classes or work) praise Him and entreat Him with simple prayers, psalms, etc. Your life does not have to be a tug of war between the world and God. Remember that the world and everything in it is passing away, but His mercy endures forever. He wants you to come back to Him even more than you want to! So please do not be ashamed by what you haven't done, but be emboldened in every little action to reclaim your life for God.

this was simply an amazing sermon it really honestly helped me so much thank you