The story behind user names?

2»

Comments

• [quote author=TITL link=topic=12491.msg146546#msg146546 date=1319488567]
    I would have said "el kharoof el eswed".

But then again, I only speak American.  :P

well that is singular rather than plural
  • Then how about el-kherayif el eswed.

When do you use "sood" and when do you use "eswed"?
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12491.msg146548#msg146548 date=1319488769]
    Then how about el-kherayif el eswed.

When do you use "sood" and when do you use "eswed"?

first, there is nothing called "el-kharayef".....conjugations are not that simple in arabic.
    Al kharof = one sheep
    al kheraf = more than 2 sheep

eswed = is informal for black. i think the rit was is Aswad....but i am kind of shaky on tashkeel/ta'reeb.

sood = informal for black on a group. saw-daa i think is the rit one.
  • Yeah, when I looked up a literal translation, it gave me "sawda'", not "eswed" because Google doesn't have an Egyptian Arabic translator. But again, this wasn't a serious question! I was making a silly joke, because it's silly to assume that Arabic would or should have the same idioms as English does. This kind of informal speech is very much culture/language specific. For example, in Russian, even though the same concept exists, it is expressed in the opposite way as the English, by talking about something that is usually black as being white (it has been a few years, but I think the phrase is "Belaya vorona" = white crow).
  • Hello my brothers and sisters in Christ,

I chose my username some years ago because I acknowledge that I will perpetually be a child of Orthodoxy, that I should continually remind myself that I should always strive to learn from the Fathers and from the other members of Christ, and that, regardless of my own age in this world, I must always remember that the Logos, the Son of God, became man so that I, as a person and member in His body, might become a son of God by grace.

Remember me in your fervent prayers,
    childoforthodoxy
  • wow this is very interesting...well the reason i chose the name that i have now is because i long for monastic life  (and as we know , no one in a monestary is called by there name because that name no longer exisits) ,...but ofcorse i am too young. but i know the world is not for me so even if i stay, i want to follow many of the practices of a monk, and grow in virtues.