got a question??????

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey i have a question it kind of weird . . . .. . .. . does the holy communion really become the true body and blood of christ .. . . . .. . . cuz in my book it sais it doesnt and my dad sais it does so i would like to hear wat u think

THX and GBU
Beshoy

Comments

• “And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is My body. Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.” Matthew 26:26-28

“I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world” John 6:51

Yes we pray the liturgy (odas) so that the bread and wine are transformed into the actual body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, thats why in the confession the priest says ..
    .."The BODY AND THE BLOOD OF EMMANUEL OUR GOD THIS IS IN TRUTH AMEN".......then we say 'Amen we believe" so we all truly believe that this is the actual body and blood of Jesus Christ.....then the priest says "Amen. Amen. Amen, I believe, I believe, I believe and confess to the last breath, that this is the LIFE-GIVING BODY that Your only-begotten Son...etc"
  • ok thanks ;D
  • hay here is all the informaton u need :)

Holy Communion
    Its institution: Lord Jesus instituted it on Covenant Thursday few hours before His arrest and trial, in the upper room in Zion. After he celebrated the rite of Passover of the Jews, he arose and washed the feet of His disciples as a sign of repentance and preparation, then sat down and instituted the Passover of the New Covenant, which is the sacrament of Holy Communion. “He took bread, blessed it and broke it, and gave to His disciples and said “take, eat this is My Body, then He took the cup and gave thanks, and gave it to them saying: Drink from it, all of you, for this is My Blood of the new Covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. Mathew 26:26-28 and our teacher St Paul repeats the same words in 1 Corinthians 11:23-25.

Its Benefits:- the Holy Communion Sacrament has many benefits of which:-
    1.   Abiding in Christ according to His precious promise: “He, who eats My Flesh, and drinks My Blood abides in Me, and I in him” John 6:56. By receiving this sacrament we become members of His Body, of His Flesh and of His bones” Ephesians 5:30, also we become partakers of the divine Nature, 2 Peter 1:4.
    2.   It gives us the tribute of eternal life “Whoever eats My Flesh and drinks My Blood has eternal and I will raise him up at the last day. He who eats this bread will live forever” John 6: 54,58
    3.   Growth in spirit and spiritual perfection and life with in Jesus Christ as He said: “For My flesh is food indeed, and My Blood is drink indeed. As the living father sent me, and I live in because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me” John 6:55, 57 By the way He said My flesh is food INDEED not I think this is my flesh and blood or this food and drink looks similar but quite isn’t NO he said indeed, indeed means certainly, without a doubt, undeniably, really, to be sure and I’m sure that you cannot argue with that anyway. As the material food it develops the body and it becomes healthy, also the spiritual food, that is the communion of the Holy Body and Blood of Christ, strengthens the soul to grow continually in grace.
    4.   Gives remedy to the soul, body and spirit, as we say in the Offertory Mystery: - “that the (Holy Body and Precious Blood) may become to us all for participation and healing and salvation for our souls, bodies and our spirits”. As the Communion without worthiness cases weakness, sickness and death according to St Paul “For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep” 1 Corinthians 11:30 Also Communion received worthily and with preparation causes health, remedy and growth of the body and soul. As the fathers call it: remedy for non death.
    5.   Communion gives a person immunity against sin. Material food gives us health and immunity against bacteria and viruses that attack us. Also Communion from the Holy Body and Blood of Christ gives the spirit immunity and inaccessibility against the viruses of sins, satanic warfare’s and bodily lusts, so the person lives in victory in his spiritual struggle. The hymnist says “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies” Psalm 23:5. It is a prophecy about the table of Communion and its benefits for victory against enemies.
    6.   At the introduction of the Litanies after the Master, to partake of your holies into the purification of our souls, our bodies and our spirits. That we may become one body and one spirit, and may have a share and an inheritance with all the saints who have pleased you since the beginning. (By the way that last bit doesn’t mean they aren’t sinners, everyone is a sinner, the only perfect person is our Lord Jesus Christ)

We find various benefits for the Communion, in this prayer:-
    A.   Gives purification for our souls, our bodies and our spirits and we are asked according to the advice of our teacher St. Paul “Let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete purity because we fear God. 2 Corinthians 7:1
    B.   Gives unity of the body and spirit as St. Paul our teacher says: And we all eat from one loaf, showing that we are one body. 1 Corinthians 10:17 As the bread that is transubstantiated to the Body Christ was previously grains of wheat and by grinding, kneading and baking, it become one bread, and as the wine that is transubstantiated to the Blood of Christ was previously many grapes and clusters and were pressed to become one liquid, also all the community believers of this Holy Body and Precious Blood become one in Christ. That is why in the Gregorian Mass we pray saying “the unity of heart that is for love, may be rooted in us” by receiving from the one Body and one Chalice.
    C.   Gives us an eternal inheritance with all the saints who pleased the lord by their good deeds and this is our Utmost longing and aim of our entire struggle. Communion leads us easily to this great aim.

Read John 6:30-70
    The meaning of this chapter: the meaning of this chapter is how to abide in Christ and one of the ways is by having Holy Communion. Up until verse 35 we can all say it is a metaphor but the rest isn’t. Jump to verse 41 if it was a metaphor then there was no need for the people to murmur and complain amongst themselves. Why did Christ choose this as a path to heaven he could have said you could read the Bible 7 times a year or be an expert in the theology college etc. but He wanted the simplest person just to eat and drink and of coarse to have faith with that, anyway.
    In verse 57 it means that just like the relationship with the Father and the Son is repeated it is repeated with you and Jesus Christ.
    Also if it was a metaphor he wouldn’t have said to His disciples “does this offend you”
    He also asked them if it offended them because if He is on earth and they don’t believe when He goes to heaven what will they teach? Well the Spirit gives life and we get that from the church not from flesh, prophets, nothing only the Spirit.

• hi everyone..
    umm i feel kinda dumb saying this bcz of wut i'm abt to write compared to wut everyone else had written but i consider it as a like example here it goes.. ok its like a story that i herd a while back and its true...
    so there's this lady that lyk didn't have enough faith i guess and wasn't sure if the holy comunion was accually blood and flesh, she took it neways and wanted to test it and see if it's true so she didn't chew it and spit it out into her hand and she saw that it was really the blood and flesh of Jesus Christ.. so she put it behind the altar's door on the women's side. nobody saw her so the next tym the opened the door they would hear a baby cring, they weren't sure but they kept hearing it over and over again each tym they opened it, so they finally looked behind the door and found the blood and the flesh that the lady had hiden... and it was accually like meet covered w/ fresh blood...
    so ya umm it does turn to blood and flesh...
    sorry that was borind and dumb... :-\

Rina ;)
  • Rina, that was a GREAT story. There are many stories like this of miricals that took place to prove that it is TURELY the BODY and BLOOD of Jesus Christ.

This is a Sacrement, and most sacrements have physical attribute to symbolize the spiritual (not that the spritual isn't there). It is only thru God's grace that we don't see the body and blood for what they really are or we might be more relctant to approach communion (I think).
    Just a personal opinion, thoght I would share
  • Yea that was a pretty cool story i heard lots
  • For those that heard stories like that, would you mind if you share them with us? Ofcourse, if you have time.
    Thanks
    +God Bless You+
  • i herd a few stories...but i aint got time...soz
    it is the Body and Blood of christ...
    i herd that there are some ppl with gr8 faith taste it as the Body and Blood of christ....my sunday skool teacher had that thing...but she lost it coz she started telling ppl :(
    o well...hope thats agood enough story for ya?!
    GBU
  • yes i would be happy to share them with u GUARDIAN ANGEL i heard that one rina told me but instead she took it home . . . . . . . and it started crying . Also i heard one were there was 2 priests at the liturgy and there was one inside the alter and there was a humble priest outside and the one inside the alter didnt call the one from out side so the body and blood turned real that u can see the skin and stuff soo. . . he finnally let the humble priest in to do the liturgy and it wasn normal . . . . . . im not so sure if thats the right way cuz i heard it a long time ago sorry ;D
  • Here is a story I heard a few years back. its about a non-Christian lady who was interested in becoming christian. However, this whole tranformation thing. One day she went to church, attended the liturgy and she started watching as Abouna is going thru the fraction. Then she saw, what she later discribed, as a little baby on the alter and abouna is holding him. She later converted to Christianity.

On a different note. We had a discussion about that once during our youth meeting. What we arived at the transformation happens in the essence not in the substance. Meaning, it becomes the TRUE Body and BLOOD of Jesus Christ however, it does not changed the Substance (being bread and wine). hope this helps
  • Thats so...wow, how do u describe it? My father told me a story that actually took place in Bergen before...there was this lady scientist who questioned the whole bread and wine conversion into the real body and blood of Christ. She came to bergen and decided to take communion and after she took the bread she kept it in her mouth (never chewed it).....she spat it out and put it into the lefafa thingy and left. She took it to her house and put the piece of "bread" under a microscope and this luminous light shined so brightly it blinded her! Anyone can ask abouna Dawood about it, the lady still visits once in a while, but she's still blind till this day....

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • keep in mind, that it is the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, but it is His RESURRECTED, GLORIFIED BODY! the body in which Christ resurrected. this is the body and blood we recieve in communion.
  • wow, i never thought of it that way, i always thought it was the body and blood on the cross ???
    is there biblical evidence or any other evidence for this??? This would be greatly appreciated :D