Question asked I can't answer on confession...

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi everybody :)

My friend from church has never confessed to Abouna, I always try to convince him that confessing your sins to abouna is needed in order for you sins to be forgiven. He keeps telling me that he thinks he doesnt need abouna to confess, and that he confesses to God directly, instead of having someone in between him and God. I tell him that God gave his disciples the power to forgive sins upon the earth, and to loose every bond of iniquity. He tells me "I can still confess to God directly"  :-\ .I have tried time and time again to convince him, but he won't do as I say. Any advice ???

AnthonyM
Pray for my weakness

Comments

• The argument of not needing a mediator between the confessor and God is not new and is not really the reason for not confessing. The real reason is pride. People often feel embarrassed in front of Abouna and want to keep their good image.

Your friend needs to know:

Without a priest there is no forgiveness for only the authority of binding and loosing was given to priesthood.

The priest will never look down at a person nor will he gossip of what he hears.

The confessor needs spiritual guidance in order to help him overcome his weaknesses.

Humility is the number one weapon to overcome sins and pride was the cause of Adam's fall.

Without humility there is no forgiveness and without forgiveness there is no heaven.
  • I always keep on telling him these things, but the things he said were " whenever I do a sin, I always pray saying: God forgive my sins. I did _______". I tell him that God gave power to his priests, who are the succesors of his disciples, to forgive sins, and that without confessing to Abouna, theres no heaven. He says " God can forgive me if I confess to him, I dont need a priest".

I do agree with you though, imikhail. It maybe pride or embarresment that could be stopping him. I just need more things to back up my point... anything else ??
  • Tell him that there is a difference between confession and repentance. Yes, he needs to do what he is doing. It is commendable to ask God's forgiveness and is the first step towards having God forgiving us our sins. However, after repentance comes confession and the Bible has many examples:

Old Testament:
    people had to go to the priest and confess their sins
    "and the priest would make expiation for him, after which he would be pardoned (Lv. 5:1-6).

David confessed his sin before Nathan
    Nathan the prophet said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin” (2 Samuel 12:13).

Period between Old and New testament
    St. John the Baptist: “were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins” (Matthew 3:6)

New Testamanet
    Christ Himself founded this sacrament “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven” (Matthew 18:18)

"Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of  any, they are retained” (John 20: 22,23)

“And many who had believed came confessing and telling their deeds” (Acts 19:18)

“Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God” (1 Corinthians 4:1)
    Why would he approve of needing priesthood in all the sacraments except confession?

Church Canons:
    Apostolic Canons
    "If any bishop or presbyter does not receive him who turns away from his sin, but rejects him, let him be deposed;" canon 52

Of course the bishop would not know of the sin unless it is confessed before him.

Didache
    "In the church, thou shalt acknowledge thy transgressions and thou shalt not come near for your prayers with an evil conscience. This is the way of life" 4.14

The Apostolic Constitutions on honoring priesthood:
    "Reverence these, and honor them with all kinds of honor;for they have obtained from God the power of life and death,in their judging of sinners, and condemning them to the death of eternal life, as also of loosing returning sinners from their sins, And of restoring them to a new life" (Constitutions of the Holy Apostles 3.33, 1951, p. 412).

There are other canons but hopefully these are enough.
  • Any sacrament in the Church has to be administered by a priest because it is performed through the calling of the Holy Spirit. This is the function of the priest.

A person who says that he can perform a sacrament of the church without a priest puts himself in an enmity with God and His Church.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11882.msg141660#msg141660 date=1311098564]
    Any sacrament in the Church has to be administered by a priest because it is performed through the calling of the Holy Spirit. This is the function of the priest.

A person who says that he can perform a sacrament of the church without a priest puts himself in an enmity with God and His Church.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? Unforgivable sin? Why don't people just go and confess, it's actually not that hard, it's stupid not to confess.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11882.msg141656#msg141656 date=1311093719]
    The argument of not needing a mediator between the confessor and God is not new and is not really the reason for not confessing. The real reason is pride. People often feel embarrassed in front of Abouna and want to keep their good image.

Without a priest there is no forgiveness for only the authority of binding and loosing was given to priesthood.

The priest will never look down at a person nor will he gossip of what he hears.

The confessor needs spiritual guidance in order to help him overcome his weaknesses.

Humility is the number one weapon to overcome sins and pride was the cause of Adam's fall.

Without humility there is no forgiveness and without forgiveness there is no heaven.

we have to be careful with our words:
    "Without a priest there is no forgiveness for only the authority of binding and loosing was given to priesthood."

God gave the priests the authority to forgive, and also to heal, to raise the dead, etc.  He gave them the authority but God ALSO has the authority. Please watch out with ur wording, often people say "God CANNOT forgive unless"...i'm sorry, but that isnt correct.  God can do anything, and not because He gave this authority to His apostles, means He Himself doesnt have the authority. He gave them the authority to do miracles, does that mean that He cant do miracles Himself anymore? no, HE CAN. lets stop saying "God won't" or "God can't", who are you to say what God can or cannot? God can do all.
  • [quote author=CopticLina link=topic=11882.msg145537#msg145537 date=1317659046]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11882.msg141656#msg141656 date=1311093719]
    The argument of not needing a mediator between the confessor and God is not new and is not really the reason for not confessing. The real reason is pride. People often feel embarrassed in front of Abouna and want to keep their good image.

we have to be careful with our words:
    "Without a priest there is no forgiveness for only the authority of binding and loosing was given to priesthood."

God gave the priests the authority to forgive, and also to heal, to raise the dead, etc.  He gave them the authority but God ALSO has the authority. Please watch out with ur wording, often people say "God CANNOT forgive unless"...i'm sorry, but that isnt correct.  God can do anything, and not because He gave this authority to His apostles, means He Himself doesnt have the authority. He gave them the authority to do miracles, does that mean that He cant do miracles Himself anymore? no, HE CAN. lets stop saying "God won't" or "God can't", who are you to say what God can or cannot? God can do all.

You object to the words highlighted.  Where did I say that in the explanation I gave.

Do not take words out of context.

Let me repeat what I said for clarification:

Within the context of the question of this thread: Without absolution given on earth, by the priest or bishop, there is no absolution in heaven.