New Deacon Ordination

Hi everyone,
On Sunday, I am scheduled to be ordained a chanter (the lowest diaconal rank).  I'm a bit nervous.  I'm a non-Egyptian Protestant convert to Orthodoxy and I've never witnessed an ordination before.  I'm not exactly sure what to expect.  Can anyone give me any advice/guidance/heads-up about what to expect?  If not, then please everyone pray for me!!

Comments

• Congratulations, brother!  :)

Check this video out: Chanters' Ordination

• Very simple habibi,
    when you're ordained a chanter they will put their hands on your head and say we call you in this church etc. and then they get you up and dress you in the tonia and you go into the altar kiss the altar and stay there for the rest of the liturgy
  • On a side note: I thought it wasn't really an ordination but just a blessing. . .is that correct?
  • It is not an ordination.

It is a blessing only.
  • ive never heard that before. who said that?
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12377.msg144979#msg144979 date=1316631498]
    It is not an ordination.

It is a blessing only.

he is right. i think the first "ordination " one might get is ediakon(deacon/full deacon). in arabic it is differentiated well:
    reshama = blessing
    resama - ordination.
  • Oh ok sorry to have mistakenly called it an ordination!  But thank you all for the description and the video! 

One more thing:  I know that being becoming a deacon or chanter is a gift from God and a responsibility.  I want to perform this service as best I can, in a way that pleases God.  On this site, I have read many criticisms of deacons/chanters.  Thus, would anyone give a fledgling deacon some words of advice and guidance for how to best embrace this blessing?  Right now, all I have to go by is what I have seen from other deacons and the guidelines provided here:

http://www.suscopts.org/deacons/deaconship/deacons_instructions.pdf

Thanks again everyone :)
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12377.msg144983#msg144983 date=1316632600]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12377.msg144979#msg144979 date=1316631498]
    It is not an ordination.

It is a blessing only.

he is right. i think the first "ordination " one might get is ediakon(deacon/full deacon). in arabic it is differentiated well:
    reshama = blessing
    resama - ordination.

Mina, Bishop Serapion (in the video I posted) begins by saying: "resamit epsaltos. . ."

Is he mistaken?
  • [quote author=of whom i am chief link=topic=12377.msg144985#msg144985 date=1316634590]
    Oh ok sorry to have mistakenly called it an ordination!  But thank you all for the description and the video! 

One more thing:  I know that being becoming a deacon or chanter is a gift from God and a responsibility.  I want to perform this service as best I can, in a way that pleases God.  On this site, I have read many criticisms of deacons/chanters.  Thus, would anyone give a fledgling deacon some words of advice and guidance for how to best embrace this blessing?  Right now, all I have to go by is what I have seen from other deacons and the guidelines provided here:

http://www.suscopts.org/deacons/deaconship/deacons_instructions.pdf

Thanks again everyone :)

This instructions you posted are more than enough to begin with. If you come to all the liturgical services early, you will have surpassed many (myself included). In my opinion, it is one of the greatest signs of a servant's dedication.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=12377.msg144986#msg144986 date=1316635787]
    Mina, Bishop Serapion (in the video I posted) begins by saying: "resamit epsaltos. . ."
    Is he mistaken?

hmmm.....many confuse them together. i would not consider it a "mistake." in books they still use the word Ordination despite the differentiation in arabic (of which engligh book are translated from)
  • guys
    resama and reshama are used interchangibaly
    The ordination for th oghnostos says that this is the first rank of service in the church something like that i dont remember
    Someone should ask a clergymember
  • U1,

Arabic use tends to lump things together.

Everyone is a "shammas".  Yet, "shammas" = Diakon = Deacon.

You can't tell me that the kid in diapers is a Deacon.

• [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12377.msg144991#msg144991 date=1316637613]
    U1,

Arabic use tends to lump things together.

Everyone is a "shammas".  Yet, "shammas" = Diakon = Deacon.

You can't tell me that the kid in diapers is a Deacon.

Nor am I trying to. I am just trying to make sure that the distinction between "reshama" and "resama" is as Mina says.
  • of whom i am chief,

You asked for some encouraging words and suggestions. I’ll try to tell you about my start and journey. There is some discussion about terminology, so I’ll tell you that like all serious students/servants, they may have several seemingly conflicting versions about many things, but most will help you generously and kindly learn their way. Someone who learned to serve and read/chant from a very good and thorough teacher will have learned a proper way to make every move on and in the altar. Ask all of your questions.

I was tonsured chanter/reader as an adult. I was originally Catholic, but I never learned to serve the altar. I spent several years as various Eastern Orthodox where I tried to learn simple chants, but no altar service. So I learned to serve Coptic Liturgy, etc. from the start. My first teachers were 6-10 year olds who had learned the basics. I encourage you to learn to serve. If you want to learn to serve, I’d suggest that you attend as many daily liturgies as you can. I had a lot of freedom, so I was able to become a regular at daily liturgies. Ask the lead deacon, or abouna if you can learn by serving. Someone will help you get to the right positions to start. Learn the tricks of following the liturgy book. It will take time and mistakes. Someone will help you learn to follow the liturgy book, when you get lost. Gradually the other deacons will prompt you to say/sing some simple responses in English. Get your own liturgy book and make some notes to help guide you. Try to always have a pencil with a good eraser with you. Different deacons that you serve with will teach you different details. One detail that we all have to learn from instruction is: Always step up onto and on the altar with right foot, first and step backward, down from the altar with left foot first. Pretty logical. Learn the English responses, first. Eventually you will learn to read some Coptic responses and to sound-out some Arabic responses. In my parishes, many daily liturgies were Arabic, which is hard to follow at the start. Someone will help you and you can say/sing some English responses. Mimic the chant and actions of someone who seems and sounds pleasing. You can spend your life improving all phases of your service, as you can. I have never been able to learn any part of service by reading, etc., Only by actual practice by performance. Remember me as you serve and pray. Congratulations.
  • A Chanter (Psaltos) is not tonsured.
    Tonsure is the first entry into the orders of the Church.
    It is a very physical sign of the covenant that is being made.

• I don't know the cause of this misunderstanding. In reliance on my memory only, the bishop tonsured (clipped the hair) of every new deacon (many seemingly ~6-10 years old). I don't know Arabic/Coptic, so I was searching for an appropriate word for the procedure of installing a new deacon. What English word is correct?
  • irishpilgrim:

thank you so much for your kind words, advice, and guidance--they mean so much to me!  I will work hard to learn and embrace the gift that God has given us!  I will pray for you, and ask that you do the same!  :)

• [quote author=irishpilgrim link=topic=12377.msg145029#msg145029 date=1316698702]
    I don't know the cause of this misunderstanding. In reliance on my memory only, the bishop tonsured (clipped the hair) of every new deacon (many seemingly ~6-10 years old).

That goes with what ilovesaintmark says; that rite is only done when an oghnostos/reader is ordained...not an epsaltos.
  • First off, congrats :) being a deacon is one of the best things on can ask for :)

Th bishop present prays a couple prayers on you and dresses you your white tunic. You enter the altar, kiss it, and serve it for the rest of the liturgy. The bishop might say a few words if he wants to
  • Overview

"Deacon" is a Syrian word that means servant. In Greek, it is called "Deyakon". The deacon's main job is to help the priest or bishop in his religious service. The first church appointed seven deacons to serve tables, who were filled with the Holy Spirit and wisdom, "Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said... therefore brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business." (Acts 6:2-3). "whom they set before the apostles, and when they had prayed, they laid hands on them." (Acts 6:6)

There are three qualifications in a deacon:

1- to must be filled with the Holy Spirit and wise
    2- to be ordained deacons, through the laying of hands and praying
    3- to carry out specific responsibilities

Our teacher St. Paul mentioned some other qualifications in his first epistle to his disciple Timothy, chapter 3:

"Likewise deacons must be:

1- reverent
    2- not double tongued
    3- not given too much wine
    4- not greedy for money
    5- holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience
    6- ruling their children and their own houses well
    7- they should be tested first, and then, if they pass the test, they are to serve.

"Being a deacon is the first and least rank in the priesthood ranks, St. Peter praises it saying, "For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a good standing and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ
    Jesus." (1Tim 3:13)

There are 5 ranks for deacons:

1. Epsaltos (hymnist)
    2. Anaghanostos (reader)
    3. Epidiakon (assistant deacon)
    4. Deacon (full deacon)
    5. Archdeacon (head of deacons)

A. Epsaltos

His name is derived from the Coptic word "Psalmos" i.e. Psalm or hymn.

His job is clear from his name, learning hymns and tunes, and singing them in church. This rank was mentioned in some laws of the first church:

The Epsaltos are also blessed by the Bishop

Children may be ordained as Epsaltos, according to the Psalm: "Out of the mouths of babes and infants you have ordained strength"(Psalm 8:2). The idea of ordaining children is getting them attached to the church at an early age, so they might grow up learning the faith, rite and doctrine of an Orthodox Church. In addition to the high spirituality and holiness which they will attain while being in the church, thus the saying: "But I am like a green olive tree in the house I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever" (Ps 52:8) might be fulfilled in them. The Epsaltos can wear the tunia without the Patrachil.

After the Reconciliation Prayer in the Holy Liturgy the Hegomen (the eldest priest) or the Archdeacon brings the children to be ordained, so they stand in awe before the altar's door. The Bishop then comes and gives them advise that suits their age, eg. come regularly to the church, attend Sunday School classes, learn the hymns. He also advises them to be quiet in church and not to be naughty in the church, in the street or at home, to be obedient and not to swear or lie..., to practice confession and partake in the Holy Communion. The Bishop must also get a verbal promise from the parents to help the new epsaltos carry out the advise, and not to prevent him to come to church under any circumstances. Then he advises the father priest to watch them and care for their spiritual life, and following their confessions. He also advises the elder of the deacons to teach them the hymns and praises of the church, as well as explaining some simple rituals. It is preferable if he tests them in reciting for example, the "Our Father" prayer, the Creed and some short responses. After that he starts ordaining them as Epsaltos:

They bow their heads before him, then he prays on them:

"O Lord Master God the Almighty, the Father of our Lord and God and Saviour Jesus Christ, we ask and entreat you, O Lover of mankind, your servant(s) standing before you, who came to your One Holy and Apostolic Church, enlighten them with the sweetness of your holy words. Let them chant with understanding - spiritual songs. Let them be worthy to start in faith, worship you in wisdom and purity. Sanctify them. Bless them. Fill them with your fear. Guide them by your powerful angels. Enrich them with every good gift and perfect talent, so that they might live according to your holy blessed will, accepted by you. Let them be called to the perfect growth which is for your Holy Spirit, through your Only Begotten Son our Lord and God and Saviour Jesus Christ. Glory, honour, dominion and worship are due to you together with Him and the Life-Giving and consubstantial Holy Spirit now and forever. Amen"

He signs the first child three crosses without laying his hand while saying the name (... ) Epsaltos on the Church of (... ),

1- Blessed is the Holy Father the Pantocrator (Khen Efran).
    2- Blessed is His Only Begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ (in the second sign)
    3- Blessed is the Holy Spirit the Paraclete (in the third sign)

�The Bishop signs the rest of the children in the same way.

�Then the service garments are presented (the tunia without the Patrachil), so he signs them three times, then they wear them.

�The children stand infront of the elder deacons, and participate in the responses and tunes of the Holy Liturgy.

�They partake of the Holy Communion, after the deacons, everyone and their families rejoice. They have to be regular in attending the Holy Liturgy, and coming to the church. as they grow up, they get used to worship and virtues, they become saints without blame.

Source.
  • of who i am chief, where are your from?