Serving Problem!

Hi everyone.

I am having a problem with a kid in my church. I am a servant and I serve in multiple services. There is a kid (I say kid because he is young, he isn't in High School yet) and he is about 3.5 years younger than me. He is [glow=red,2,300]very [/glow]active in the church. He goes to liturgy almost every day and leads it.  He always touches the church's laptop and makes his own power points. I am one of his Hymns servants and his Choir servants. I am supposed to make power points for each hymn/song they learn as they get to each one. He just goes ahead and makes the whole tasbeha. When it is my turn on the schedule (everyone has a day) for the church projector, he does everything.

I feel like my service isn't necessary anymore and that I cannot serve because anything I do, he does. I don't know if the problem is me or him but I know that he is talking to me differntly. Whenever I ask him to do something (get or return something), he talks back and gives me an attitude or just ignores. I feel like I recieve no respect because he thinks that he is equal to me or higher.

I don't want to sound dramatic or anything but this is a big problem. Many kids in the church are getting jealous and always get angry because "he is doing it so why can't I".

What should I do? No one is taking action but I really want to.

Comments

• Middle-schoolers leading the liturgy!!!  :o

But from what you wrote it seems that this kid has some gifts. Nurture him and help him develop. But you must also humble him since he is young. If he feels entitled in the service, his blessings disappear and his pride multiplies. Talk to your FoC.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11960.msg142296#msg142296 date=1312096958]
    Middle-schoolers leading the liturgy!!!  :o

But from what you wrote it seems that this kid has some gifts. Nurture him and help him develop. But you must also humble him since he is young. If he feels entitled in the service, his blessings disappear and his pride multiplies. Talk to your FoC.

Yes he does lead. Everyday. And there are always older (i mean a lot older) people and he still leads.

I don't know how to talk to my FOC without sounding proud or jealous.
  • Don't worry about sounding proud or jealous. If your FoC feels that you are the problem and not the kid, then he will say so. But I really think someone needs to control this kid. Whenever a kid picks up the cymbals at my church I take it away from them, no matter how good they are at it. Simply because I do not want them to think that coming to church is about playing the cymbals or showing off skills, etc.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11960.msg142315#msg142315 date=1312147192]
    Whenever a kid picks up the cymbals at my church I take it away from them, no matter how good they are at it. Simply because I do not want them to think that coming to church is about playing the cymbals or showing off skills, etc.

Because of this kid, learning the cymbals has become a necessity for young deacons in the church. Now many kids know how to play the cymbals and fight over them during service. I wish someone stopped him. It has gotten too far
  • Don't blame this kid. He is a kid, molded and shaped by his environment. Blame yourself. Always blame yourself.
  • Whats wrong with kids being so actively involved in the church service?
  • [quote author=Kiro7 link=topic=11960.msg142328#msg142328 date=1312156556]
    Whats wrong with kids being so actively involved in the church service?

Nothing. But feeling entitled to a service means that you are not performing a service and are missing the point completely. This kid thinks he should be doing everything.
  • I agree. But I would personally rather have our youth involved in the church rather than not coming at all and falling into sin outside of church? Is this correct?
  • [quote author=Kiro7 link=topic=11960.msg142330#msg142330 date=1312156902]
    I agree. But I would personally rather have our youth involved in the church rather than not coming at all and falling into sin outside of church? Is this correct?

Why think in extremes? It is not one or the other. The kids can serve, but in humility. We should not let them do whatever they want in the church because we fear they will leave.
  • I agree 100%. I suggest doing monthly deacon meetings, outlining the roles and authorities of a deacon. This might change the kids perspective on his role in church. But from what I am hearing, this kid has a talent, and you should do your best to raise him to be the best deacon he can.
  • [quote author=Kiro7 link=topic=11960.msg142333#msg142333 date=1312157757]
    I agree 100%. I suggest doing monthly deacon meetings, outlining the roles and authorities of a deacon. This might change the kids perspective on his role in church. But from what I am hearing, this kid has a talent, and you should do your best to raise him to be the best deacon he can.

I agree.
  • My church is huge. Deacon meetings do not work. And he does have a talent but what is the point if you are doing everything out of pride? I don't want to judge him but I don't want this to continue. I don't want my future Sunday School children/servants acting as if they are above the world and don't need to listen to the elders because that is what is happening now. I am friends with athanasius and we deal with the same problem
  • forgive me if i sound harsh, im not trying to be.

in my sophmore year of high school when i started coming back to church, i wanted to do everything and i got involved in multiple ministries because of obligation, pride, and for the sake of status. when i starting to teach hymns classes the kids would pretty much do whatever i did, if i was in the back dealing with Audio/Visual, or setting up for an event, or going to a servants meeting, the kids would want to do the same. In general just because they look up to their teacher and want to be like their teacher. and now there are kids who wants to do everything in the church.

what i just realized was that i was the root of the problem because of my pride. if i "served" a lot then the kids would want to do the same.

my solution was simply to quit most ministries (FoC approved) and to stick to the ONE ministry that i get most passionate about and pour my heart out.

the on going solution for the kid is to simply love, be kind, not judge, and remain humble as some have mentioned in earlier posts. a year of influence on someone wont go away in 1 week.

OFF TOPIC > something that has helped me with my pride was something that a friend said to me, i told him that i struggle with pride and in response he asked me while laughing "what do you have to even be prideful about?" so i thought about it and realized that i make simple things like knowing where the hard drive is on a computer is something that i should get gold medals for. LOL

• [quote author=Crazy4Christ1 link=topic=11960.msg142360#msg142360 date=1312169844]
    OFF TOPIC > something that has helped me with my pride was something that a friend said to me, i told him that i struggle with pride and in response he asked me while laughing "what do you have to even be prideful about?" so i thought about it and realized that i make simple things like knowing where the hard drive is on a computer is something that i should get gold medals for. LOL

Haha, that's one way to learn humility!