Mass or Liturgy?

I have noticed lately that the word "Mass" is being used more and more to refer to the service of the liturgy. So, I thought to find out more from the Tasbeha members as to which words they use most and whether any word is more correct than the other.

Comments

• The word 'mass' should not be used.

It is not offensive etc, but it has nothing to do with our Orthodoxy.

The Liturgy is the Liturgy. This is what it is called.

The word 'mass' is a Western, Latin Catholic term.
  • Thanks Fr. Peter for the quick response.

There are other words used in the Coptic Church .. but before sharing them, I like to hear from the Tasbeha forum.
  • I generally use the term:  Liturgy.

I find that a lot of people simplify things when dealing with Westerners to use 'mass' in order to not deal with the 'oddity' of the term.
  • I would refer to the Coptic service as "liturgy", not "Mass". Like Father Peter, I associate "Mass" with the Latin church and find it inappropriate outside of that context (as the RC likewise taught me in their initiation classes, though I do remember other Catholics sometimes conflating the terms).
  • I don't feel comfortable at all using the term Mass to describe the liturgy, i like using the word Liturgy.
  • There are other terms which are used in the West which more properly describe the Liturgy than using the word 'Mass', these other words are also ancient and include terms like 'Eucharist'.

But if a person does not know what the word Liturgy means, then this is a good opportunity to explain. If we just use the word 'Mass' then a person who is ignorant of Orthodoxy will just assume that we are the same as Roman Catholics. Indeed since the word 'Liturgy' derives from the Greek 'work of the people', this is an opportunity to explain that in the Liturgy all gather together to worship God, offering their own contribution, so that it is not a spectacle or performance conducted by the priest alone, but requires the participation of all.
  • Liturgy!!!!!!!
  • If i am feeling really smart I will say Liturgia, lol.
  • Here are the terms used for the liturgy service:

Liturgy: Means any public service, but the word had been set aside to designate the Divine Liturgy service.

Kodas: From the Hebrew word Kodashim  or Kodoshim meaning Holy Things.

Anaphora: Greek word means "carrying up" for we offer the bread and wine and carry it on the altar to the Lord.

Mass: A Latin word from Messa meaning "sending away" or "dismissing". The Orthodox do not use this term for it refers to the last thing the priest does in the liturgy which is the congregation dismissal.

Eucharist: Means thanksgiving. It is the oldest and the most famous word used for the Divine Liturgy. It was in use since the since Apostolic era and is mentioned in the Didache, a letter sent by St Ignatius the Theophorus, and St Justin.
  • Mass does not mean a mass of people. It derives, as has been explained, from the dismissal at the end of the service.
  • When I was a lot younger the last thing the (Catholic) priest said was 'Ite, missa est', 'Go, you are dismissed'.
    That's where the word mass comes from.

Please, Copts, don't use that word. It just the wrong word for your liturgy.

Thanks!
  • i didn't know the origin of the word mass.
    i will stop using it.
    i will probably say 'communion service' or 'service', as i don't know anyone who speaks liturgical english except father peter! and with him i would say 'liturgy' anyway as he is orthodox.
    all the other non-orthodox people i speak english to (nearly all of whom are non-native speakers) would not understand the word 'eucharist'. they sort of know what a church is, so i keep it simple!
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=11887.msg142093#msg142093 date=1311874044]
    i didn't know the origin of the word mass.
    i will stop using it.
    i will probably say 'communion service' or 'service', as i don't know anyone who speaks liturgical english except father peter! and with him i would say 'liturgy' anyway as he is orthodox.
    all the other non-orthodox people i speak english to (nearly all of whom are non-native speakers) would not understand the word 'eucharist'. they sort of know what a church is, so i keep it simple!

How about this; use 'liturgy' all the time, and explain and elaborate it to the person(s) you are speaking with. That way you educate others, and  you use the right term! Everyone's happy! All-for-one deal! What could possibly be better than this?