A question about nationality

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Greetings all,

This might be a silly question, but here it goes...

I am considering attending a Coptic Orthodox Church near my home (in the US). This would be the first time I ever attended any Orthodox Church. I am American born and not Egyptian. Do you think this will be accepted? I don't know if the congregation is mostly Egyptian and if so, will they perhaps view me as an oddity. :)

Or is it more common then I think to have a non-Egyptian attending a Coptic Church?

I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who may have gone through a similar process (i.e. you are American or European, non-Egyptian, but felt led to the Coptic Church).

I would also be interested in hearing from Copts themselves. Do you welcome all to your Church?

Antonious

Comments

• With a name like Antonious you'll fit in just fine  ;)

As the bosom of our Lord is open to all who seek Him, the doors of the church are open to all who seek her. I am confident that as long as you are respectful, the Coptic people will welcome you wholeheartedly. God bless.
  • In most cases, non-Egyptians are treated just fine but on some occasions, people will be people (just ask Ioannes). However, those types of people are not an accurate representation of Christ, nor His church.
  • Unworthy1,

With a name like Antonious you'll fit in just fine

LOL. Well, that's not my real name. I took it for this forum as I greatly admire Abba Antonius of Egypt.

As the bosom of our Lord is open to all who seek Him, the doors of the church are open to all who seek her. I am confident that as long as you are respectful, the Coptic people will welcome you wholeheartedly. God bless.

Thank you for your encouragement. May the Lord bless you.

George_Mina_Awad,

In most cases, non-Egyptians are treated just fine but on some occasions, people will be people (just ask Ioannes). However, those types of people are not an accurate representation of Christ, nor His church.

Yes, I understand - people will be people. The flesh is weak. We all need the Lord (myself included). I appreciate your comments.

Antonious
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=Antonious link=topic=11780.msg140791#msg140791 date=1309738727]
    Greetings all,

This might be a silly question, but here it goes...

I am considering attending a Coptic Orthodox Church near my home (in the US). This would be the first time I ever attended any Orthodox Church. I am American born and not Egyptian. Do you think this will be accepted? I don't know if the congregation is mostly Egyptian and if so, will they perhaps view me as an oddity. :)

You will most likely get some stares, but that's normal. Don't worry, inevitably there will be at least one person who will come up to talk to you, and the priest almost certainly will. I am Egyptian, born and bred, but I recall one time going to a church in Toronto and I overheard some older Egyptians (speaking in Arabic mind you, and I understand Arabic) saying, 'Wow, it's good to see that there are foreigners interested in our church.'

Or is it more common then I think to have a non-Egyptian attending a Coptic Church?

Well, that depends on how common you think it happens.  ;)

I would also be interested in hearing from Copts themselves. Do you welcome all to your Church?

Antonious

You most certainly will be welcome. I know of a number of converts to the Church (native Canadians and Americans). While I'm biased, I have to say, I love the Coptic Church and wouldn't (for the most part) want to be anywhere else. Welcome (in advance) to the family.
  • Antonious,
    If you come to Boston, I will look for you and give you the biggest welcome ever. We have plenty of converts in our church. And there is a catechesis curriculum for converts and people contemplating Coptic Orthodoxy. So you won't be lonely. Just let us know which church you are considering attending. And if it's not Boston, I'll pray that it goes well for you.
  • You'll definitely be welcomed, Antonious!!  And just a piece of advice, even if you ever get a slight feeling that you aren't (which I'm sure you won't), do NOT let that discourage you from getting to know the church yourself. 
    In terms of language barrier, it will not be difficult to blend in at all as the churches I've been to have plenty of English-speaking first generation high-school and college-age individuals.  Moreover, most (if not all) churches have English liturgies (in addition to Coptic and Arabic, of course).

If you're in the NJ/NY area, let me know.
    Again, welcome to Tasbeha.org and to the Coptic Orthodox Church.
    May God bless and enlighten your journey!
  • I see you're from atlanta, i'm not really sure about how big the church is there - which is usually an indicator of how many non-egyptians attend.  However, it would be nice if you went with someone just in order to explain what is going on and help with introductions, and of course it is much more comfortable to be with someone experienced or known in a new environment.
    If no one from atlanta replies on this thread you can always just introduce yourself and say youre new etc, to help buffer you into it - i've seen this many times before.
    you'll probably find more americans that married an egyptian than converts as far as non egyptians.
    In my experience, you'll run into both extremes of acceptance: you'll likely find some that find you, feed you, show you to the whole church like a trophy, and introduce to all his/her family members.  While others might be suspicious of you as a result of being defensive of losing their culture or tradition, b/c what isn't egyptian isn't kosher to them. it is really a result of leaving their home and having the church as their source of culture etc.
    I dont mean to scare you, just let you know what may happen.

Either way, when you go have a smile on your face and introduce yourself and be open to talking with people.  Especially after the service, you'll really find a lot of people eager to welcome you.
  • Κηφᾶς,

You will most likely get some stares, but that's normal. Don't worry, inevitably there will be at least one person who will come up to talk to you, and the priest almost certainly will.

Thank you for the feedback and encouragement. :)

You most certainly will be welcome. I know of a number of converts to the Church (native Canadians and Americans). While I'm biased, I have to say, I love the Coptic Church and wouldn't (for the most part) want to be anywhere else. Welcome (in advance) to the family.

Thank you again. You are very kind.
  • Remnkemi,

If you come to Boston, I will look for you and give you the biggest welcome ever. We have plenty of converts in our church. And there is a catechesis curriculum for converts and people contemplating Coptic Orthodoxy. So you won't be lonely. Just let us know which church you are considering attending. And if it's not Boston, I'll pray that it goes well for you.

Thank you sincerely for the friendly welcome. It sounds like many wonderful things are happening in Boston! If I am ever there, I will come find the Church. I am in Atlanta, Georgia US.
  • +Pistavros+,

You'll definitely be welcomed, Antonious!!  And just a piece of advice, even if you ever get a slight feeling that you aren't (which I'm sure you won't), do NOT let that discourage you from getting to know the church yourself.

That is good advice. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me. And thank you for your welcome.

In terms of language barrier, it will not be difficult to blend in at all as the churches I've been to have plenty of English-speaking first generation high-school and college-age individuals.  Moreover, most (if not all) churches have English liturgies (in addition to Coptic and Arabic, of course).

It is good to know that some people will speak English so I can speak with them. I am enthusiastic about having an opportunity to hear the liturgical use of Coptic. And to hear the music and hymns. Though I am not native to Egypt, I have always felt something beautiful about that land - the culture and history. I have great respect for Egypt.

If you're in the NJ/NY area, let me know.

Thank you. I was born in NY. I used to visit often. But it has been some time since I was last there.
  • jfarag92,

I see you're from atlanta, i'm not really sure about how big the church is there - which is usually an indicator of how many non-egyptians attend.

The church local to me is called St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox Church (Atlanta). Here is their website:
    http://www.suscopts.org/stmaryatlanta/about.html

I drive near this Church often. It looks rather large and I think it is well attended, but I do not know for sure because I have not gone for a visit yet.

...when you go have a smile on your face and introduce yourself and be open to talking with people. Especially after the service, you'll really find a lot of people eager to welcome you.

I appreciate your feedback, it is both kind and helpful. Thank you.

• we have black and white people and other types in coptic churches in uk. just be prepared for people to stare at you, don't take it too seriously.
    i like being part of the ethnic minority at church. if you can talk loudly and eat falafel, you'll fit in fine. if not, you may find the culture a little overwhelming until you get used to it.
    what's important is finding out about God and learning more all the time.
    God bless you.
  • IT is imposible to pray in the church where the people talking.
    Everyone in the church have to show respect to God.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=11780.msg141568#msg141568 date=1310757354]
    what's important is finding out about God and learning more all the time.

I agree. Thank you for this reminder.

God bless you.

May God bless you as well.
  • hi, smirser,
    i mean everyone talks loudly after the church service, when we are drinking tea. not during the church service  :)