How to calm the mind?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
How can you calm your mind? I feel like many thoughts are running in my head.

Comments

• [quote author=binC link=topic=11809.msg141065#msg141065 date=1310107458]
    How can you calm your mind? I feel like many thoughts are running in my head.

Anxiety is the product of too much introversion; sometimes doing something which is physical rather than cerebral helps like going for a run or playing sports.

If you need a short term way of calming your mind you can try squeezing your left hand really tightly for 30 seconds.  The right hemisphere of our brain is responsible for generating the chemicals which create stress and by squeezing our left hands really tightly we can distract it enough to drain the stress out.

His Holiness has a really good sermon on stress which I watched part of the other day on youtube and an interesting thing which he said that reverberated with me is that we're sometimes very insecure or lack confidence which is the main reason we become anxious. 

I watched this video after a stunning where he had just returned from his 5 year exile in the 80's.  He had come back to his see under treat of being killed by extremists who were after him.  There were 2 western journalists questioning him and they asked 'what do you plan to do about the threats on your life?' and all he said was 'we trust that the grace of God will fix the situation'. The journalists were more forceful 'but these people plan to kill you?' and his holiness gave the same response 'we trust that the grace of God will fix the situation'. In almost sheer disbelief the journalists accepted his response.  As a return from 5 years in exile I thought his answers were simply stunning, if we could only have the same confidence in God.

God bless,

LiD
  • +Calming our hearts will in turn calm our mind and senses.
    Calm the heart from anger, pride, harshness, hatred and all else.. pray to God for strength to overcome.
    When the heart is calm you will realise that not even outside circumstances can take away that peace.

When our mind is worried with many thoughts, try to picture God in your mind, sitting upon His throne, surrounding Him myriads of angels, the Cherubim and Seraphim, praising Him.. Picture the beauty, peace and love of God.

Trust in God "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there anthing too hard for Me?" (Jeremiah 32:27)
    Trust that everything happens for good, because He loves you.
    "Our heart is restless until it finds its rest in You." - Saint Augustine
    A wonderful book: Calmness by Pope Shenouda III http://www.copticpope.org/books/calmness.pdf
  • Pray the Jesus Prayer.

Pray it often.
  • Love,

That clip brought back a lot of memories.
  •   Thank you very much all of you.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11809.msg141097#msg141097 date=1310166519]
    Love,

That clip brought back a lot of memories.

You aare so wise.