is psychologist respected are they doctors?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
i am going for my phd but some how i feel when going to get married this degree will be laughed upon can i get input on this thanks

Comments

• If whoever you think about marrying laughs at whatever your degree may be, I would think twice about that relationship. Do what you love and use the talents God gave you, that's all that matters. For some that is construction work, for others a career in medicine.
  • I'm not sure about the first part of your question (respected by who?), but yes, they are considered doctors, as being a licensed psychiatrist requires a doctorate, to the best of my knowledge.
  • Actually from what I understand, people in the field of medicine don't take psychiatrists and psychologists seriously. Mainly because it isn't as difficult to attain those degrees. This is a generalization, of course, but what I hear from people in medicine, nonetheless.
  • Psychology is still a very important discipline regardless of what anyone thinks about it. Mental diseases are potentially just as damaging as physical ones - and you can do a lot good as a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist.

God bless
  • Are you working to please people, or a fiance, or are you following a passion that Christ has put on your heart? It is important for us to always be checking our intentions and constantly be under the will of our loving Father rather than worry what our fellow man thinks of us.

My two cents.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11652.msg139813#msg139813 date=1308356060]
    Actually from what I understand, people in the field of medicine don't take psychiatrists and psychologists seriously. Mainly because it isn't as difficult to attain those degrees. This is a generalization, of course, but what I hear from people in medicine, nonetheless.

This is not only a generalization but a very stupid assumption.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11652.msg139813#msg139813 date=1308356060]
    Actually from what I understand, people in the field of medicine don't take psychiatrists and psychologists seriously. Mainly because it isn't as difficult to attain those degrees. This is a generalization, of course, but what I hear from people in medicine, nonetheless.

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor (i.e. a physician), in possession of a medical degree, having gone to medical school the same as all surgeons, cardiologists, paediatricians etc. do.

A psychologist did not study medicine - they studied psychology. There are clinical psychologists who are psychologists who may play a certain role in the treatment of mental disorders, but they are not physicians - a psychiatrist may refer a patient for therapy with a psychologist, but the psychologist is not responsible for the overall management of the patient.
  • good explanation, jg  :)
    plus if u get a phd u r also a 'doctor'.

i think ppl with phd r very clever.
  • I'm not really good at the view on pshychology in the oriental tradition but here in Sweden we have a man who is a (i think a lutheran priest) and a professor in psychology of religion and he is great http://www.owewikstrom.se/?p=415
    this may be some help. i don't your kind of psychology but this man may be an inspiration.
    do copts like psychology?
  • in my church we have 2 psychiatrists and a psychologist, so yes!