Liturgy during the Holy 50

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Does anyone know of a liturgy in English/Coptic that is conducted during the Holy 50 days? We are beginner deacons trying to learn as much as possible, and none of us know how they go. Unfortunately we have to lead the liturgy, and there is nobody here to help us.

Thank You and Pi Ekhristos Aftonf!

Comments

• Not that difficult.
    Liturgy begins normally with offering
    Alleluia Fai Pe Pi
    Everything is farahi
    Taishori
    Hiten for Saint Mary
    " for Archangel Michael (Resurrection one)
    " Heavenly
    " Apostles
    " Saint Mark
    " Joseph, Nicodemus and Mary Magdelene
    Acts response is Shere Tef Anstasees (Changes after Ascension)
    Then after the Acts, O nim nai is said
    Then Ya Kol al Sefof
    Then Khristso anestee (long then short)
    Then if time, Ton Seena and then Tolitho
    Then Pachois
    Then All 3 agios are for resurrection
    Psalm and Gospel Response for Resurrection
    Then liturgy proceeds the same until Psalm 150 were festive tune with the Resurrection response.

Hope this helped!
  • Does anyone chant Tin Anastasin at their church?
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11319.msg136546#msg136546 date=1303781043]
    Does anyone chant Tin Anastasin at their church?

we said it a couple of times.

Nope, unfortunately. I'm in love with that hymn.
  • It is truly a beautiful hymn :) Did Ibrahim Ayad introduce it or have other cantors as well? I haven't heard any other recordings.
  • This is slightly off-topic:

What is the correct term for the "Holy 50 days after Ressurection"? In Arabic, it is just "El-khamsin," meaning "The fifty." Is there a word for it in English?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=11319.msg136530#msg136530 date=1303753743]
    Not that difficult.
    Alleluia Fai Pe Pi
    Everything is farahi
    Taishori
    Hiten for Saint Mary
    " Heavenly
    " Apostles
    " Saint Mark
    Then Ya Kol al Sefof
    Then Pachois
    Then liturgy proceeds the same until Psalm 150 were festive tune with the Resurrection response.

Hope this helped!

This is a good list, but allow me to add:
    -There is no Synaxarium reading. You would start chanting "O nim nai" immediately after the Acts.
    - After "Ya kol al sefoof," the priest and deacons do a procession around the
    altar 3 times, around the church 3 times and finally around the altar once.
  • Tin anastasin is one of the new hymns added recently.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11319.msg136561#msg136561 date=1303803759]
    It is truly a beautiful hymn :) Did Ibrahim Ayad introduce it or have other cantors as well? I haven't heard any other recordings.

oh no.......we have an old recoding from a cantor in Alex......actually i am really REALY sure it was Ibrahim Ayad's source too because it's exactly the same.

[quote author=imikhail link=topic=11319.msg136794#msg136794 date=1304007271]
    Tin anastasin is one of the new hymns added recently.
    hehe, read ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[quote author=mechaiel link=topic=11319.msg136790#msg136790 date=1304003907]
    What is the correct term for the "Holy 50 days after Ressurection"? In Arabic, it is just "El-khamsin," meaning "The fifty." Is there a word for it in English?

"The Holy Fifty days" or "the Holy Fifties"....both are acceptable...
  • Thank you everyone! This is perfect, and that hint about the synaxarium will help us not be embarrassed when the bishop comes!
  • So minatasgeel how old is Tin anastasin? I certainly have not found it in the manuscripts.
  • There is no harm in reading the synexarium .. you read it but you do not say "the Church celebrates ....." for the celebration is focused on the resurrection.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11319.msg136808#msg136808 date=1304026083]
    So minatasgeel how old is Tin anastasin? I certainly have not found it in the manuscripts.

well when you [put] it that way; when you compare it with many of the other hymns we have, it is considered that.
    it is one of the hymns that were brought in from the greek church during the time of Pope Kerrelos Abou-el-eslah. it's as old as E-parthenos, ton sina, to-litho,
  • Thanks Minatasgeel

Our Church is almost 2000 years old so 100 or 200 years is recent in comparison  :D

In fact in Coptic hymnology, the vereses of cymbals are considered recent for they were not know before late 1700's !!!!

• [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11319.msg136813#msg136813 date=1304026994]
    Thanks Minatasgeel

Our Church is almost 2000 years old so 100 or 200 years is recent in comparison  :D

most of the time when i speak about hymns, i consider actual physical recordings of hymns rather than the history of the hymns (which we know very little about)
  • We do not know how the hymns were developed (very few info is available) but we have information on the rites of the hymns and the changes that took place within the last 900 years.
  • I would be interested to learn the relative ages of the collection of hymns available in the present.

If a graph was drawn of age and quantity do we have any idea what it should look like?

Yes, we do. It is a really nice hymn!

[quote author=mechaiel link=topic=11319.msg136791#msg136791 date=1304004282]
    [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=11319.msg136530#msg136530 date=1303753743]
    Not that difficult.
    Alleluia Fai Pe Pi
    Everything is farahi
    Taishori
    Hiten for Saint Mary
    " Heavenly
    " Apostles
    " Saint Mark
    Then Ya Kol al Sefof
    Then Pachois

Hope this helped!

This is a good list, but allow me to add:
    -There is no Synaxarium reading. You would start chanting "O nim nai" immediately after the Acts.
    - After "Ya kol al sefoof," the priest and deacons do a procession around the
    altar 3 times, around the church 3 times and finally around the altar once.

Might I add also the exposition "Chiowini" then the gospel response.
  • [quote author=kmeka001 link=topic=11319.msg136821#msg136821 date=1304029126]
    Might I add also the exposition "Chiowini" then the gospel response.

ONLY on the feast liturgy and not the fifties days.
  • Pretty much.

There are around 330 authentic hymns in the Coptic Church that date back to the 12th century.

The bulk of the recent hymns were added in the mid 1800's as part of the Melekite-Copts unification. These include the resurrection hymns, and few hymns for St. Mary.

Some of the hymns got shortened and new ones were added. Others got mixed up together.  Some responses and most of the canons said at the end of the services are not used anymore.
  • Dear Mina,
    Are you sure tin anastasin is as old as the 19th century? I doubt it... I guess it's more recent than that actually.
    Dear imikhail,
    Is there a link to these manuscripts online? I'd be very interested to read about the changes to the collections of hymns at different stages. Also correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Ekhrestos anesty is much older than ton sina, and tolitho, is that right?
    Oujai
  • Khristos anesti is a very old hymn that goes back to at least the 12th century (probably older) .. To litos and ton sina did not enter the Coptic Church till around the mid 1800's.
  • Exactly what I thought. I would still love if you would please point me in the direction of reading some of the manuscripts or studies of hymnody origins and dates online...
    Oujai
  • I am afraid none exists online.

I have written some things at www.stpaulatlanta.org.

Pray that I have the time to write more.

Thanks
  • Thanks imikhail,
    God bless your service and efforts and keep us in your prayers.
    Ekhrestos anesty
    Oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=11319.msg136867#msg136867 date=1304066470]
    Dear Mina,
    Are you sure tin anastasin is as old as the 19th century? I doubt it... I guess it's more recent than that actually.
    Dear imikhail,
    Is there a link to these manuscripts online? I'd be very interested to read about the changes to the collections of hymns at different stages. Also correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Ekhrestos anesty is much older than ton sina, and tolitho, is that right?
    Oujai

it is as old as e-parthenos, ton sina, to litho....all those greek hymns came into the church together and were tuned (into coptic) together. you can see that from what's written in Gam'eiet nahdet el-kanaies khidmit shamas.
  • Ekhrestos anesty
    Thanks Mina, very good point.
    Oujai