I am ashamed to even ask this, but I am wondering

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Is it a sin to be a little sad today to not be able to celebrate His glorious resurrection together with the Church? I am NOT sad at the day (indeed, it is the greatest day, and I rejoice in it), but at knowing that everywhere in the Christian world, people gather today to worship, and I am not gathered with them. I feel like this is selfish, but at the same time I am as human as anyone, and I do feel like this is at least a good thing to want.  :(

Please pray for me and all who are outside of the Church.

Comments

• It is always proper to have our joy mixed with sadness.

My own celebrations were tinged with sadness.
  • not at all sinful, brother, in fact everyone i met so far on the spiritual journey has pain on the way.
    the pain is part of the growth. we learn from it the way to be gentle with people when they come to us for advice about their own pain.
    i suggest that you use this experience to pray fervently for those who are completely outside the church, who have no knowledge of God or who are running away from Him. pray for them fervently and let your prayers help you to share what you have learnt with those who know nothing.
    and pray for me to, a sinner.
  • Most definitely not a sin.

If it makes you feel any better, no one is gathered today to worship; everyone is gathered today to celebrate by eating chicken. I am Orthodox and I have probably one of the largest families in church, but I am home alone right now studying for an exam tomorrow while everyone else is laughing and having a great time (but my mommy promised to bring me back some macarona bashamel, so I can't really complain ;) ). I guess if you don't want to feel "left out" with the Orthodox community, you're more than welcome to stuff your face with us.  ;D

Inshallah next year you'll get to attend an Easter Liturgy!

Christ is Risen!!
  • sorry, father i was typing at the same time and didn't see your post.
    i actually cried during the liturgy for those who don't know God and for the problems in churches generally.
    i felt a bit weird doing that and tried to hide it, but reading your post i think maybe it wasn't so strange.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11312.msg136484#msg136484 date=1303679032]
    It is always proper to have our joy mixed with sadness.

Happy Easter Fr. Peter.
    Christos Anesti.

Many thanks for the patience you have shown me on here and on answering my questions. You really give out good answers that are well thought out.

I hope that you are well, and that whatever is bothering you is temporary.
  • Dear Zoxasi

Alithos anesti!

Thank you for your kind words and prayers. I pray that the issue that especially makes me a little sad is temporary, but I am not sure any of us can ever be entirely free from sadness in this life as we are concerned for others in our family and those who are known to us with needs.

Sadness can be a positive means of spiritual growth. But do not think in any case that I am especially bowed down at this time.

God bless you
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11312.msg136484#msg136484 date=1303679032]
    It is always proper to have our joy mixed with sadness.

I guess it may depend on the sadness.  I felt lonely this year without my parents around and couldn't enjoy Christmas or Easter.  Easter I couldn't even attend church services because I suffer from a lot of nerve pain due to sciatica of the lower back  condition known as spondylolisthesis. I'm going now to Physical therapy.  I did fast though even though I didn't go to receive holy communion.  I felt the holy spirit on Holy Thursday while sitting at the stairs.  My mom said its probably  the holy spirit letting you know I'm not alone.  That comfort me very much.
  • We wil pray for you! May you celebrate the ressurection next year with the church