jeans

2»

Comments

• According to my priest it is ok

but don't wear them in a way that makes you look "gangsta"

But he also said it is recommended to wear nice pants
  • I don't wear jeans on sunday, my mom sometimes tells me too, but i don't think it is appropriate. but i wear jeans in any other occasion in church, like meetings, ashaya, bible studies... that's it basically.
  • No, its not wrong as long as they are not to tight and revealing your body for others to stumble upon.
    However, for the mass it is more respectful to God to wear something else. although i myself wear jeans to the liturgy when i have nothing else dressy to wear lol

thanks,
    mahraeel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jeans are fine to wear to church. long jeans to any type of liturgy or asheya, and shorts (not too short, use good judgment) to something less formal like a bible study or something.

god bless!
  • ok... i just had that conversion with one of my friends at the beginning i was shocked because i only wear jeans no matter where i'm going so i did my research and asked some people.......and thats what i got

-God doesn't care about what r u wearing he only cares about ur heart.

-Satan is playing with us when we start thinking of what we should wear to church and there is some people who only think about that and that make them sin sometimes because they will start judging other people about what did they wear to church,, ect......

-if u look closely at the story of St.Mary of Egypt when she went to church she went for some other reasons and u could know what was she wearing and God still accepted her and he only cared about her heart...and her repentance..

-"dont wear jeans" "dress up" "if u wear this or that, u will end up in hill" all that is Islamic stuff

[quote author=egypt45 link=topic=4297.msg60658#msg60658 date=1158025590]
    Matthew 22:

10 So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.
    11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. 12 So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and[a] cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

now mind you, God's not gonna put you straight in hell just because u wear jeans to the church! but I'm just saying... think about it! :P

Look.... If u check any bible study book it will say that in this part the wedding is the second coming of the lord and not the church or the house of God. so what we should care about is that our eternal life and not what we should wear to church( those are ways Satan use to take our eyes of the price) 

I mean that God doesn't really care much about our clothes or how we look.... and i didn't mean that we go to church in shorts, it should be some respect as well....

Need a lot of prayers please.....
  • [quote author=✞ GoDLovesME ✞ link=topic=4297.msg136238#msg136238 date=1303163203]
    ok... i just had that conversion with one of my friends at the beginning i was shocked because i only wear jeans no matter where i'm going so i did my research and asked some people.......and thats what i got

I think maybe your friends gave you some bad advice.

-God doesn't care about what r u wearing he only cares about ur heart.

I think this is a false distinction between our actions and our inner selves. What you do affects the state of your heart. If you don't take guidance from the Church, the Scriptures, the Fathers and all the other sources of wisdom we are guided by in Christianity, then what exactly are you following? How do you know what God thinks about your heart? If you look in the Holy Bible, it says the heart is deceitful above all things. You really want to trust your heart still, given that fact?

-Satan is playing with us when we start thinking of what we should wear to church and there is some people who only think about that and that make them sin sometimes because they will start judging other people about what did they wear to church,, ect......

As with anything else, if we start criticizing others and not ourselves, we are doomed to ruin. Again, this does not excuse us from the proper reverence of God in all aspects of life. If it really doesn't matter what you wear to church, then why do the vast majority of us have an innate understanding that certain outfits are NOT appropriate for church? (You know the ones I mean...I don't need to mention them here!)

-if u look closely at the story of St.Mary of Egypt when she went to church she went for some other reasons and u could know what was she wearing and God still accepted her and he only cared about her heart...and her repentance..

Yes, this is true, but also a misappropriation of the story to argue a very dangerous point. God also accepted St. Moses the Strong and his repentance, does this mean that we should feel allowed to murder and rob people, so long as we repent afterwards? I don't think so. If we know in advance what we should be doing, then we should do that, not look to other people's stories to exonerate us when we know things that they didn't.

-"dont wear jeans" "dress up" "if u wear this or that, u will end up in hill" all that is Islamic stuff

The guidance of the church is not Islamic, and has nothing to do with Islam. In Russia, which has never had an Islamic majority, people are also told not to wear jeans to church. It is also common in some segments of the Catholic (Roman) church to discourage jeans, both among women and men. I have a feeling that this was probably the norm until very recently.

I mean that God doesn't really care much about our clothes or how we look.... and i didn't mean that we go to church in shorts, it should be some respect as well....

Why not dress nicely because YOU care about it? (If you do.) God's ways are not our ways, but we can still show reverence in small details as well as large. How you dress is not so important as to make an excuse to NOT be with God (i.e., if you can't afford a suit or a dress, you should still show up to church!), but it is also not an excuse to be careless and dress like you are going to a nightclub or to the gymnasium or whatever. It probably wouldn't help anyone to be extreme in either direction.
  • I agree with dzheremi!
  • I didn't mean that we should be careless or not to dress up but i was trying to say that there is a lot more stuff to work on, and way important than what we should wear....

Somebody like me i only wear jeans and i never buy any kinds of pants other thank jeans and i can count to u the times i wore suits but that doest mean ill end up in hell for that reason..
  • [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=4297.msg136242#msg136242 date=1303168145]

i got what i said from abouna my FOC and a really good friend and he is really into church and study a lot about it

• GodLovesMe,

First off, it's never safe to use the excuse "such and such won't lead me to hell".

Second, we dress up in church because we are respecting the King of Kings. It is disrespectful to show up to an earthly king in jeans and say "he knows I mean well".

Third, it's not a hard task to buy some dressy pants. If your teacher in school asked you to dress up for a presentation, would you still use the excuse "i never buy any other kinds of pants, so looks like youre going to have to deal with it". Just buy some and stop wearing jeans in church. It's plain rude and disrespectful.
  • [quote author=✞ GoDLovesME ✞ link=topic=4297.msg136246#msg136246 date=1303171174]
    [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=4297.msg136242#msg136242 date=1303168145]

i got what i said from abouna my FOC and a really good friend and he is really into church and study a lot about it

My apologies. My brain somehow conflated the first part about your friend with the information that followed after it.

Still I think we all must be careful about whatever advice we are given. If your FOC allows you to wear jeans, that's fine of course, but I wouldn't think it means that it doesn't matter what is worn in church, or that everyone should be wearing jeans. What is allowed and what is preferred is generally different.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=4297.msg136247#msg136247 date=1303171604]
    GodLovesMe,

First off, it's never safe to use the excuse "such and such won't lead me to hell".

Second, we dress up in church because we are respecting the King of Kings. It is disrespectful to show up to an earthly king in jeans and say "he knows I mean well".

Third, it's not a hard task to buy some dressy pants. If your teacher in school asked you to dress up for a presentation, would you still use the excuse "i never buy any other kinds of pants, so looks like youre going to have to deal with it". Just buy some and stop wearing jeans in church. It's plain rude and disrespectful.

This is actually good advice. When you get older and have a job, many of them will prohibit wearing jeans, T-shirts, and such and require more formal wear of black pants, etc. so it won't hurt you to invest in a pair or two. And it's not putting yourself in discomfort, though even if it did, we are supposed to be ready to make sacrifices for the Lord.

On another note, why was this thread brought back from 5 years ago?
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=4297.msg136247#msg136247 date=1303171604]
    GodLovesMe,

You guys keep bringing up if you go see the President would you dress up this way? If you go do a presentation do you dress this way?  

Well first, of course we must dress up nice!! why?? because we are trying to impress people who will judge us right away without knowing us!  When we go for a Job interview we dress nice, to attract the Manager to us so he doesn't judge us in a negative way.

The Church is a Hospital, its not a place to meet the president, or to show off your new shoes or dress, or even to come in with revealing or un-appropriate clothe..    God does not look at what people wear but their heart... it is better to come to Church in need of spiritual healing instead of looking at what people wear.

- Lastly we all know what looks nice and what is not, you should dress appropriate, not revealing or seducing anyone while in church.. And dont think that putting a suit on is better then jeans there are some who put on a suit gold neckless and gold jewelery, nice purse, nice watch and distract people in the Liturgy more then people who just have nice, simple and appropriate Jeans.
  • I am not denying that God knows our circumstances and what is in the heart of each one; He hears the sincere prayer of a poor person who cannot afford nice clothing as much as those who dress with expensive clothes.

What I am saying is that if God has blessed you and you are able to have a choice to dress with the best of what you have when going to partake of His Holy Body and His Precious Blood or to wear what you would wear to clean the house or garden and get messy in, it is right that we choose the best of what we have to wear.

Look at the books of the prophecies, and if you had the opportunity to attend the Pascha today, the prophecies where the Lord was angry with the priests for offering to Him blind, lame, and sick animal offerings instead of wholesome, healthy animals.

I am not saying there is anything wrong if someone cannot afford dress pants and barely has the means to wear jeans to liturgy. But if God has blessed them enough to be able, they ought to use what God blessed them with, and to only offer to Him they very best of what God has given them, and nothing less.
  • Do what I do,

I wear Jeans for youth meetings on friday nights and Ashiya I do too. On Sunday, I used to but I always wear dressy because for 1. It's the Lord's day and 2. Jesus is with us in he liturgy so try to look your best :) As long as jeans aren't tight and are appropriate you're good to go! Just use your own personal judgement.

God Bless!
  • Then in the same way, I expect the same people to wear jeans at:

1.  Your friend's wedding
    2.  Graduation days
    3.  Funerals
    4.  Job interviews
    5.  Your own wedding day
    6.  Your work presentations
    7.  Your friend's bar mitzvah

Common.
    This argument to try to legitimize wearing jeans is plain silly.
    This argument is resurrected so many times with the same lame scheme.
  • We have to ask ourselves: Why is it that we try to impress some 'nobody' who is going to interview us? How greatly does any human pale in comparison to God?

With that in mind we should surely make the greatest effort to put on our best attire. If in my closet sits a nice suit and next to it a pair of jeans and a sweater, why choose the latter? Why not come dressed ready to meet the King of kings? Sure, He could care less if I wore a jeans or slacks, blue or black, cotton or silk, but the point is WE should care.

If we care enough to try and show others our seriousness and respect, why not do the same for the One who is worthy? The purity of our hearts should be primary but that does not mean that we neglect all else. The Lord is worthy of our best EVERYTHING. Our best prayers, best attention, best love, and yes even our best clothes.

The point is we wear and do our best in everything. If the best I have is a pair of jeans, then so be it, I will wear a pair of jeans. But if I have something better I will wear that. It is not difficult: offer to God what He is worthy of.
  • Pharaoh714,

I didn't imply that we dress up for the sake of pleasing others; it's a form of respect--not showing off.

Church is not the basketball court or a playground, nor should we treat it like it is by our choice of clothing.

We dress up in church because of what the place represents--the House of God.

• Unworthy1,

Very nicely stated.
    To the point.
  • I always wear Jeans, as they do as good a job as any other type of trousers.

If it is a special occasion like liturgy I will wear a shirt, but have been known to wear a random t-shirt or 2 in the summer (Mainly bands and movies.) I think Jeans can look smart either way.