Do you give tithe...one out of ten of your income? Pls do and see the miracle.

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
  Hello friends,

Do you all give tithe? I am seeing a lot of real wonders after I give 1 out of 10 of my income. Please let us share our experience.
God is faithful to His Words!

Comments

• + Irini nem ehmot,

'Be taking heed not to do your alms before men, in order to be seen by them; otherwise ye have no reward with your Father Who is in the heavens. Therefore, whenever thou art doing alms, do not begin to sound a trumpet before the, even as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, in order that they might be glorified by men. Verily I say to you, they have received their reward. But when thou art doing alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand is doing, so that thine alms might be in secret; and they Father Who seeth in secret Himself shall render what is due to thee openly.' Matthew 6: 1-4.

The amount given and the reward is personal and not something that should be paraded around on a forum. Otherwise it has lost all meaning.
  • Sure, the amount given should be kept secret. But the reward? Maybe a forum isn't the right place to share it, but sharing the reward can be edifying for others.
  • My existence and success is specifically related to this issue.  I thank God for giving me the chance to carry it out; to return to Him a portion of what belongs to Him.
  • First of all, tithe is very different from alms.
    Second, it is the spirit behind your deeds that matter most not the mere action. I wanted to share what God has done for me not what I have done for Him. I thought many ppl would neglect giving tithe and would miss God's blessing just like I used to do.
    Third, I know no one here in the forum. How would I be in any way telling about my deeds? I was specifically talking about the promises of God in the Old Testament about tithe. Read my writing again I wrote..."God is faithful to His Words!"  This is all about God not me.
    It is easy to pick a verse from The Bible. The point is...Is it the right place and condition for the verse? Even the devil tempt you with a verse from The Bible.
    What do you think of this verse???
    Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
    Matthew 5:15-17

• You are not giving.  You are returning.

What you have is custodial.  It belongs to God.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11009.msg133457#msg133457 date=1300727248]
    You are not giving.  You are returning.

What you have is custodial.  It belongs to God.

"min-yadak wa-'atenak" = وَمِنْ يَدِكَ أَعْطَيْنَاكَ! = "And of Your own we have given You."
    1 Chronicles 29:14
  • what is the difference betweeen tithes and alms? are donations tithes or alms? If I earned $100, and $10 belongs God, could it be in the form of alms ;for example; $2 to panhandlers and $5 to church and $3 to another cause? which one belongs to God;the tithe to the church , the alms or the donation to a widowed woman? If you meet 10 panhandlers in a row, are you supposed to give to all? Could someone clarify ,please
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

There is no difference.
  • Mozes,

I beg to disagree about your formula.  The Lord owns the $100 that He gave you the chance to earn.  He is Merciful to grant you $90 to keep and asks that you return only $10.

As for the division of the money that is not my place to give advice.

All I can say relative to my own experience is relative to my previous post.
  • I've asked this before in its own thread, but got no definitive reply, so if you guys wouldn't mind (since this thread seems quite active): How can one tithe if outside of the Church, like I am? I am not even employed right now, but the Lord still blesses me in so many ways...I feel bad not giving my 10% as I know is rightly commanded of me. I don't want to give it to the local Catholic church, and there is no Coptic church here, or Eastern Orthodox church for that matter. Besides, I have always been told that you are to give where you attend. What if you don't attend anywhere?
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Tithing doesn't have to be just with money. You can tithe with your time. Any service you do, in the name of Christ, is an acceptable 'tithe' to God. Volunteering at a soup kitchen is an example. Don't let the lack of a Church hinder your service. Starting a bible study, or prayer meeting with others is also another service you can do. Another thing to consider is the whole concept of 10% is the absolute minimum one should give. Anyone who can give more should. Remember the incident of the widow and her two mites? Christ praised her for giving all that she had. That's not to say that we must do that, but we should give as much as we can, be it money, time, or any other gift/talent God has blessed us with.
  • Thank you, Kephas. I know that there are other aspects of tithing that are not monetary, but certainly the monetary aspect cannot be overlook in favor of the others. "These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone", right?
  • There's always the mail and paypal.

I know that Fr. Peter in his outreach and ministry is in need of aid.  The highlighted amounts are minimal.

Tasbeha.org has a section to donate.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Absolutely not. I'm not saying to overlook the monetary tithes. However, if a person's situation is such where they are unable to tithe with money, all is not lost. God doesn't have a checklist to see how we've tithed, with what, and how much. In the end, what does God want most? 'My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.' Proverbs 23:26
  • I have to disagree--stongly.  There is always a place to tithe monetarily.  One is obliged to tithe monetarily.

The earlier example of the Widow and the two mites represents this quite fondly.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Obliged? Are you joking? We are not Muslim. We are not OBLIGED to do anything. Feel free to point me to where Christ tells us we MUST tithe. All things must be done out of love, not out of a sense of obligation.

'Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye tithe the mint and the anise and the cummin, and ye leave the weightier matters of the law: judgment and mercy and faith. These ought ye to have done, and not to leave aside those others.' Matthew 23:23

'But woe to you, the Pharisees! For ye tithe the mint and the rue and every herb, and pass by the judgment and the love of God. These ye ought to have done, and not to keep on leaving aside those others.' Luke 11:42

If a person cannot tithe with money, there are other means. God knows the heart and that is what He desires above all.
  • Everyone is capable of a monetary tithe.  There is no exception.  The question arises as to whether one is willing to return to God that which belongs to Him?  That is the issue.  People get cheap and lazy and excuse filled.

We are also obligated to God for everything that is in our being, that includes physical acts as a representation of our appreciation and love for Our Father Who is in the Heavens, eg, services, ministry, etc.

This does not preclude or exclude the monetary giving.

The Pharisees offering was unacceptable because it was done at the expense of others and by thievery and extortion from others.  They robbed the Temple treasury. 

It is not an example or an excuse to make for the obligation that we have to Our God.

This is not Islamic.

Your interpretation is incorrect and flawed in its logic.
  • Is a tithe meant iterally? i mean, must u give exactly a tithe of your money to God? How do you know exactly how much u must give anddd, when? A tithe every year? Every month?  ??? And if you don't have any income, only the money your parents give you? If you have 50 euro, must u give at least 5? Not that this is a problem, lol. And if you are going to give your tithe in deeds? How do you count a tithe in deeds??
  • Ok, well...I'm going to donate a little bit to Fr. Peter's ministry now. I really didn't mean to cause any argument. I'm sorry everybody.  :-[
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

ilovesaintmark,

I made it through your rambling. Still waiting on you to illustrate where Christ tells us we MUST tithe.

*Bride of Jesus*,

Not sure what you mean by literal. You give what you can to God. We are not so pharisaical as to dictate what exactly a tithe constitutes. From the Old Testament we learn that the children of Israel tithed with 10% of what they had. Give as much as you want as frequently as you want. It's all about doing it with love and joy. If you want a personal rule for yourself, speak with your FoC and he can discuss it with you.
  • I believe that the command from the Master was specific for His Possessive in the regard to our hearts, our minds, and our spirits.  Indeed, it is in every manner of our being inclusive of all of our finances.

I believe that when there was a need to pay the Temple Tax, He instructed the disciples to go fish and to bring the coin that they will find in order to pay the tax.

I believe that the precincts and Laws of the Old Testament are apertaining to our obligation to tithe.

A tithe is just a minimal guideline, we are called upon to give up everything and take up His Cross and follow Him.

I believe that the Great and Wonderous St. Anthony heard that calling and gave away anything.

To ignore one's financial obligation to God is being cheap in all aspects of spirituality.

Those who do not fall into the category of not fulfilling their part in appreciating the gift of Existence and Life that is granted to us, are cheap.

I believe that you are wrong and trying to fudge the aspect of responsibility.

Churches have expenses:  utilities, insurance, stipends (priests don't get salaries), supplies, food stuffs, cleaning, landscaping, etc.

The poor need:  food, shelter, clothing, etc.

I believe that Our Lord said to St. Peter "to feed my sheep"; this both physical and spiritual.  Where was Peter to get this money?...Credit Card...possibly the Roman Express Card (aka Romex) which would be equivalent to our American Express Card (Amex).

Dude, really money is needed for real work.

Even the monks of the desert must work and provide for their existence.  They rely also on charity of people as it is left at the monastery.

St. Paul relates that donations were given to him as a custodian in order to deliver to others.

A tithe is the minimum.  It is from one's earnings.  The Lord mentions a dedication and obligation in the Old Testament of the fruits of the land, and monetary endowment to the upkeep of the Temple.

I think that you may be a little famished by the dramatic fasting that you are doing, and ignoring the wonderful points I have made.
    I will grant you the benefit of the doubt.  Sorry to put a little mustard on your fava beans.

Lazy does not equal spiritual.  Spiritual does not equal lazy or cheap.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Perhaps you need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. I suggest you actually read what I wrote before posting jibberish. I'll speak in simple terms in the off chance that you actually UNDERSTAND what message I'm trying to convey.

I. Did. Not. Say. One. Should. Not. Pay. Tithes. (are we clear so far?)

I. Said. If. One. Cannot. Then. It. Is. Not. The. End. Of. The. World. (stop if you're confused and re-read as often as you need until you understand.)

God. Asks. Only. For. Our. Heart. (again, stop and re-read as many times as you need.)

Tithing. Involves. More. Than. Just. Money. (re-read please.)

We. Are. Not. Obliged. To. Do. Anything. In. Christianity. That. Is. Islam. (pause and re-read.)

Obligation. Does. Not. Equal. Love. God. Asks. Us. To. Love. That. Is. The. Greatest. Commandment. In. Fact. It. Is. The. Only. Commandment. (cf. St. John's Gospel and Epistles)

If. Need. Be. Go. Back. To. School. To. Learn. Reading. And. Verbal. Comprehension.

• Of course we are not obligated to do anything. God gave us free will and we are free to exercise it as we wish. However, it is a command from God to tithe. This command extends to all people regardless of income. If there are extenuating circumstances, God will judge accordingly, but keep in mind, even the widow found 2 mites to give.

And its funny you should quote Matt 23:23 and then ask where Christ commands us to tithe because that is the very verse in which he expresses that command most clearly.

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

When Christ says "These you ought to have done" He is saying in laymen's terms "You should do these things" hence He is saying we should tithe.

Besides this verse there are a number of verses that command tithing in the Old Testament.

As far as the question about whether the tithe must go to the church or can it be given to the poor, I think it is a very interesting question that I've heard a few answers to and would love to hear some more.

pray for me,

aiernovi

Ps: remembered one more verse

Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. (James 4:17)
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Read the verse again. Slowly.

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone." Matthew 23:23

Now, read it again. Note what is highlighted.

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone." Matthew 23:23

Now, read it one more time again, noting what is highlighted and what is underlined.

The 'these you ought to have done' that Christ is referring to is in regards to the 'weightier matters of the law'. What are these weightier matters? Justice, mercy and faith.

My God people, I can't believe what I'm saying is actually that complicated. For the love of all that is holy, actually READ what I wrote before you start spewing nonsense.

• I think everybody is right, if we add up all the details.

These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

While we're enjoying our free will, what we ought to do willingly (and joyfully):
    Justice + Mercy + Faith + Tithe

The clear approach is bringing to God the tithe as money in His house, i.e. the church. There are other ways you can do that, usually when requested by your FOC. For example if the amount of money will be used to buy special things you know about well, or you're a builder helping by taking care of many technical details, etc. in fact you do help more this way.

Tithe is the minimum we ought to return to God anyway and is not usually or necessarily considered the same as donations, especially when the tithe giver is wealthy. Under your FOC knowledge and guidance you can pay your tithe distributed to needy families or church institutions, etc. and other than donations.

In the OT the Lord said that those who did not pay tithes were stealing Him.

It is a expression of gratitude towards God who provides us. It should come as a natural loving reaction from our side. The Lord guides the Church how to use the money, He does not need money at all! The Church and us as Church members do.

What is the big difference here between the verbs ought and must?

GBU
  • But how often do u have to give it? Ten a week, ten a month, ten a year?
  • Tithe is 10% of all your earning, it is good to give it immediately or very soon, like the next day after you earn it. For example, it can be on monthly basis (i.e. following the monthly pay or salary) or it could be yearly if you're paid by year..

GBU
  • Thank you, John, for such a wonderful post. I agree that this isn't an issue that we need to fight over. Everyone is right, in a way (e.g., Κηφᾶς is right that we ought not be forced to give; ILSM is right that we ought to give).

[quote author=John_S2000 link=topic=11009.msg133715#msg133715 date=1300871630]

What is the big difference here between the verbs ought and must?

Some would say it's a matter of degree. They do both express the sense of obligation, but "must" is 'stronger' and is generally interpreted as a command (though it isn't always one; see below). "Ought" has a sense of moral imperative that "must" does not necessarily have. It's hard to define, but think of the following example:

You are walking down the street with your friend. You both see a homeless man. Your friend gives the man $1, prompting you to feel like you must give, too. You decide not to, because after all no one can force you to give (;)), to which your friend pulls you aside and says "Come on...you really ought to give that man a dollar".

In the use of "must", even though it's not a literal command (there was no sign above the homeless man that said "you must give this man $1 or you cannot pass" or something like that), it is interpreted as one due to the circumstances.

In the use of "ought", you see how your friend is describing the world as it should be, highlighting the good, moral action you should take. I think this is the way that our Lord and Savior was addressing the pharisees, with a sort of "moral imperative", if you will. That's why I still think tithing is to be treated like a commandment...it's a moral commandment, but then aren't they all?  ;D
  • [quote author=John_S2000 link=topic=11009.msg133717#msg133717 date=1300873214]
    Tithe is 10% of all your earning, it is good to give it immediately or very soon, like the next day after you earn it. For example, it can be on monthly basis (i.e. following the monthly pay or salary) or it could be yearly if you're paid by year..

GBU

And if you haven't any income, but you just got money when u need it from ur parent's? Lol.

Thanks for the nice posts!
  • Me thinks that Cephas is hanging on a portion of a verse and not even a full verse.

In Bible Studies 101 we are taught not to hang a full message and teaching on a partial verse or a verse.  Let us expound on very foolish people and heretics who have done so in their manner.

At the risk of sounding like a little boring:  I gave you quite a list (which you ignored) and you are hanging yourself with one misrepresented, misspoken, misled, interpretation of a portion of a verse.  Lent is a wonderful time whereby we remind ourselves of the whole Bible.

Me thinks that we need to open our pockets, pocketbooks, and checkbooks.

Cephas don't teach people to be cheap with God.  Of course charitable acts are inclusive of the physical sacrifices and services.  It, however, does not detract or subtract our responsibility and obligation for the financial.

Cheap...cheap...cheap.

Cheap is okay for reusing a plastic bag.  Cheap is not applicable or considered for our presentation of gifts to the Almighty.

Come on, tell me you know that there is a whole Bible out there and not just a portion of a verse.

I know my responsibility.  It was taught to me gradually by my parents.

First, they gave me a coin to put in the donation plate.  My parents said this you give to God as a portion from what He gives you.
    Second, they went the next step and said this is your weekly allowance, make sure you give a portion to God from what is His.  We will not watch you but you must, by conscience, carry out your duty of love.
    Third, they said, you are grown up, make sure that you remember that God has granted you so much and to return to Him a portion from that which is His.

It is because of this constant association, done quietly, and diligently, that one is inspired for so many services and ministering in the parish church.