BREATHING EXERCISES

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi, I had a quick question...do we believe in breathing exercises and relaxation techniques similar to it?

Comments

• How do u mean "do we believe in it?"
    Do u mean spiritually or physically?
    Physically i think breathing exercises are good, I have troubles with breathing sometimes, especially when i sing.
  • Like Marmar said, what is there to believe in there?

Breathing exercises and chanting mantras are not cornerstones of the way we worship God (unlike some other religions). I don't think they have any significant spiritual value to us as Christians.

• Hmm...I don't mean that they have any particular significance spiritually speaking...I mean do we believe it's ok to use them as relaxation techniques, anger management techniques, etc.
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10852.msg131778#msg131778 date=1298930789]
    Hmm...I don't mean that they have any particular significance spiritually speaking...I mean do we believe it's ok to use them as relaxation techniques, anger management techniques, etc.

I guess you'd have to describe exactly what you'd do for a "breathing exercise." What would the routine involve?

I mean, as long as you're not chanting a Buddhist mantra, I don't see how it would be a problem.
  • Well...I'm actually not sure what this breathing exercise would entail that's why I'm asking before I try anything...
  • it is usually deep breathing, while completely relaxed if im not mistaken.  these breathing exercises have beneficial effects on your physical and mental health, and can be a great opportunity to pray. in fact many of the studies that examine breathing exercises place praying (no specific religion) in the same or similar category that has said beneficial effects.  just avoid the chanting of hindu, buddhist, or whatever chants that many accompany with them.
  • umm, i breathe automatically without having to do exercises; i haven't died yet!

there is really no need to do this unless you are a singer, and if you are, you just do some deep breathing without meditation.

there is no Christian practice of deep breathing during meditation on the Bible or on the goodness of God. we simply breathe normally (we 'practice' it every day!)

so i think these ideas come from buddhism and hinduism.
    trying to do them without actually doing the chanting would be like attending mass and missing out the word 'Jesus' whenever you prayed. you would still be affected by the beauty of it even if you tried to avoid the obvious fact you were at a Christian ceremony!

pls don't be upset, JG, i loved your posts on the 'ghosts' thread  :)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10852.msg131804#msg131804 date=1299013903]
    umm, i breathe automatically without having to do exercises; i haven't died yet!

there is really no need to do this unless you are a singer, and if you are, you just do some deep breathing without meditation.

there is no Christian practice of deep breathing during meditation on the Bible or on the goodness of God. we simply breathe normally (we 'practice' it every day!)

so i think these ideas come from buddhism and hinduism.
    trying to do them without actually doing the chanting would be like attending mass and missing out the word 'Jesus' whenever you prayed. you would still be affected by the beauty of it even if you tried to avoid the obvious fact you were at a Christian ceremony!

pls don't be upset, JG, i loved your posts on the 'ghosts' thread  :)

Why on earth would I be upset mabsoota?  :D

I personally don't think there is an issue with these breathing exercises. I don't know what they would involve, but I imagine them to be something akin to what is done in certain martial arts. The whole thing about finding inner peace and tranquillity and focusing your mind etc.

I totally agree that if you are looking for that, you're much much better off praying - the spiritual feeling you get through your relationship with God is so much more than what you'd get with some breathing exercise.

But I mean, if you're just doing it to calm yourself or relax, I don't see the harm in it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.