Coptic tune on the Recorder

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi guys, I play the recorder for fun and I mostly play Coptic tunes on it so I decided to record a tune and put the words to it - just thought I'd share it with you:

Pray for me

Comments

• Very nice epchois_nai_nan well done!
    One of my favourite parts of the mass as well!
    Thanks for sharing
  • Epchois,

Absolutely touching. Flute instruments have a way of penetrating into the soul.

Can I offer a request: (1) The Litany of the Vegetation, Air, Water--the prayer of acceptance of the life in the Lord; (2) Vol Evol; (3) The Armenian Rendition of the Lord's Prayer (The Hayr Mer); (4) Pen-neeb (from the Liturgy of St. Gregory).
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10722.msg130758#msg130758 date=1297857702]
    Epchois,

Absolutely touching. Flute instruments have a way of penetrating into the soul.

I second that thought
  • I enjoyed that very much.

I, too, play the recorder.

Where can I get the music? Hopefully with westerrn notation?

God bless you
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=10722.msg130748#msg130748 date=1297853595]
    Hi guys, I play the recorder for fun and I mostly play Coptic tunes on it so I decided to record a tune and put the words to it - just thought I'd share it with you:

Pray for me

That was great :) good job...reminds me of my band geek times lol (I used to play the flute)...
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10722.msg130775#msg130775 date=1297869936]
    [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=10722.msg130748#msg130748 date=1297853595]

Pray for me

That was great :) good job...reminds me of my band geek times lol (I used to play the flute)...

Same here, I haven't played my flute in such a long, long time. Think I'll get it out when I go home this weekend  :)
  • Wow, this tune is actually making me think about playing the flute. I used to play saxophone but i also heard that the flute has the same fingerings for the notes. Thank you so much for this, keep 'em coming. God bless,
  • When I was in Elementary School I begged my parents to put me in band. They hoped for me to develop a new talent, so they paid the $300 fee and waited to see if I was the next James Galway. I played with it for maybe two days then got bored and stopped practicing. On concert days, I put on an act by pretending to blow and move my fingers. Three years in band and I came out knowing how to play "Hot Cross Buns" with a few mistakes.

Same story with Basketball and Softball; I quit second day. Now my parents ignore me whenever I ask to try something new. They just tell me to stick with piano.

This video makes me regret giving up. If I would have stuck with it, I could have been playing like epchois!

You should do it geomike. Or, actually, go for the a3ood. I'm dying to try it, but my parents keep reminding me of my flute days  ::)

• That was beautiful, please do make more videos!
  • [quote author=aidan link=topic=10722.msg130762#msg130762 date=1297864882]
    I enjoyed that very much.

God bless you

...and please don't miss this :-[
  • Glad you all enjoyed it :)

[quote author=TITL link=topic=10722.msg130782#msg130782 date=1297873683]
    When I was in Elementary School I begged my parents to put me in band. They hoped for me to develop a new talent, so they paid the $300 fee and waited to see if I was the next James Galway. I played with it for maybe two days then got bored and stopped practicing. On concert days, I put on an act by pretending to blow and move my fingers. Three years in band and I came out knowing how to play "Hot Cross Buns" with a few mistakes.

LOL my recorder cost $5 from a Post Office - its a risk free investment :D

[quote author=aidan link=topic=10722.msg130795#msg130795 date=1297882809]
    [quote author=aidan link=topic=10722.msg130762#msg130762 date=1297864882]
    I enjoyed that very much.

God bless you

...and please don't miss this :-[

Sorry aidan I play by ear - I don't have any notes :( If you're using the same type of recorder I could probably tell you the order of the holes to block - mine is just a plastic recorder with 7 holes in it - does yours work the same?

[quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10722.msg130758#msg130758 date=1297857702]
    Epchois,
    Can I offer a request: (1) The Litany of the Vegetation, Air, Water--the prayer of acceptance of the life in the Lord; (2) Vol Evol; (3) The Armenian Rendition of the Lord's Prayer (The Hayr Mer); (4) Pen-neeb (from the Liturgy of St. Gregory).

Do you have any recordings of these? I know Vol Evol and the Litany of Vegetation, but I'm not familiar with the tune Pen-neeb or the Hary Mer ...

Pray for me
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=10722.msg130880#msg130880 date=1297904692]
    Do you have any recordings of these? I know Vol Evol and the Litany of Vegetation, but I'm not familiar with the tune Pen-neeb or the Hary Mer ...

Pennib Pensoteer - Track 2 at 41.55, Liturgy of St. Gregory by Fr. Youssef Asaad. I don't know the words to describe it's beauty.
  • I almost cried  :'(
  • Hey, do I pick out the good ones, or what?
  • Nice! very beautiful!

God bless ya
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10722.msg131070#msg131070 date=1298056050]
    Hey, do I pick out the good ones, or what?

Hehe you definitely do, that was BEAUTIFUL - I wish we used St. Gregory's more.

Unfortunately, my recorder only has 8 notes so I can't fit that tune on it :(
  • Epchois,

Figure something out.  I did my part.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10722.msg131082#msg131082 date=1298075213]
    Epchois,

Figure something out.  I did my part.

Very well, for you, I shall drill another hole into the plastic. It will pain me, but it I will do it nonetheless.
  • LOL how's Wagga man?
  • Wow! very nice!

Where can I find the original audio and text for this passage? (I mean with a priest praying with this tune)

[quote author=TITL link=topic=10722.msg130782#msg130782 date=1297873683]
    When I was in Elementary School I begged my parents to put me in band. They hoped for me to develop a new talent, so they paid the $300 fee and waited to see if I was the next James Galway. I played with it for maybe two days then got bored and stopped practicing. On concert days, I put on an act by pretending to blow and move my fingers. Three years in band and I came out knowing how to play "Hot Cross Buns" with a few mistakes.

Same story with Basketball and Softball; I quit second day. Now my parents ignore me whenever I ask to try something new. They just tell me to stick with piano.

Lol :P You get bored very quickly
    (I'm just like you in this by the way)
  • Lol I don't get bored easily! It's hard to be patient with something when you don't have the talent for it :P

Two days was more than enough. I thought.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10722.msg131508#msg131508 date=1298551969]
    Lol I don't get bored easily! It's hard to be patient with something when you don't have the talent for it :P

Two days was more than enough. I thought.

hahaha