Justin Martyr

Is Justin Martyr considered a saint by the Coptic Orthodox Church?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One of the Church Fathers.
  • Fr. Peter I was not aware of this, as Justin Martyr was a Millenialist, although not condemned I thought he was like Tertullian, well respected but not considered a saint.

by the way, he was a great apologist for the church.
  • I was also surprised that He is considered a saint by the Coptic Orthodox Church,Justin Martyr believed Angels had sex with women and begat children to them?

“for these things also He evidently made for man-committed the care of men and of all things under heaven to angels whom He appointed over them. But the angels transgressed this appointment. and were captivated by love of women, and begat children who are those that are called demons; and besides, they afterwards subdued the human race to themselves, partly by magical writings, and partly by fears and the punishments they occasioned, and partly by teaching them to offer sacrifices, and incense, and libations, of which things they stood in need after they were enslaved by lustful passions; and among men they sowed murders, wars, adulteries, intemperate deeds, and all wickedness. Whence also the poets and mythologists, not knowing that it was the angels and those demons who had been begotten by them that did these things to men, and women, and cities, and nations, which they related, ascribed them to god himself, and to those who were accounted to be his very offspring, and to the offspring of those who were called his brothers, Neptune and Pluto, and to the children again of these their offspring. For whatever name each of the angels had given to himself and his children, by that name they called them"(Justin Martyr, Second Apology, Chapter 5)

This belief is rejected by the Coptic Church and How could this two be reconciled? and don’t get me wrong,I believe He was one of the great defender of the Early Church and greatly deserve to be considered to be a Saint,but what are the requirements of Sainthood?

• From what I've heard the Early Church was much more tolerant of diverse views than it is now. Even someone like Origen wasn't really 'bad-mouthed' until several years after his death - at the time people simply agreed to disagree.

Pray for me

• [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=10594.msg129192#msg129192 date=1296538960]
    From what I've heard the Early Church was much more tolerant of diverse views than it is now. Even someone like Origen wasn't really 'bad-mouthed' until several years after his death - at the time people simply agreed to disagree.

Pray for me

I certainly do not think it was more tolerant. The reason being, in my opinion, is that communication was not as easy as today. So if someone spoke a heresy it was much more difficult for others to hear of if like today.

Sordoeht, I had a feeling that you would have said exactly that the moment I saw this lol. St Clement also believed in this.
  • Yea he is a saint, my Father of Confession loves him and his writings and he knows his church history very well.
  • Justin Martyr is a great defender of the church there is no doubt about that.