How does Christ death save us?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi,

Many non Christians/muslims even, ask this question. Are there any books/references out there that focus specifically on this topic.

How does the Incarnation save us?

Comments

• In the Old testament, people were instructed to offer up sacrifices for the remission of their sins. These sacrifices were of animals such as sheep, goats and so forth. This was necessary because we were indebted to God because of our sin and the punishment was death. However, these sacrifices were not perfect and incomplete to say the least. This is why Christ came--to offer Himself up on behalf of the human race as the perfect sacrifice and atonement for all men. He took our debt upon Himself and restored us to our former state.

I strongly recommend you read On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius. You can find it here: http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/history/ath-inc.htm
  • I agree entirely with the suggestion of reading On the Incarnation by St Athanasius. It can't be bettered.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10536.msg128042#msg128042 date=1295944834]
    I agree entirely with the suggestion of reading On the Incarnation by St Athanasius. It can't be bettered.

Father Peter

Thank you all,

I have several books by Bishop Kallistos Ware who has answered the differences between us and Evangelical Christians. The book's format is straight forward - its bullet points, and each page/section, ends in a conclusion proving or supporting the reason why we do things.

Does anything like this exist for Orthodox Soteriology? Anyone made something simple, clear and quick to go through.

This is not for me, its just so that I can pass it on to others.

I'm sure you all must appreciate that people are generally lazy, and they are adament in their own ideas and mis-interpretations. I don't understand why they don't bother reading this stuff for themselves if they were genuinely interested.

Nevertheless, I thought of YouTube videos done by a Bishop who can clearly explain each dogmatic issue Muslims/Evangelicals have with our Church.

Is this possible?

Fr. Peter?? Have you thought of anything like that?? a small youtube channel where you answer questions?

• edited March 2014
  • edited March 2014
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10536.msg128068#msg128068 date=1295980017]
    Zoxsasi,

The book by St. Athanasius is very straight forward; while it is not written in bullet points, there are many examples and it is a short read.  You spend a lot of time on this site as I can see, you can take a couple hours away from the site and read the book and make your own bullet points...this is the best way to be able to understand any concept and especially if you are trying to explain it to someone else.  The syntax St. Athanasius uses is a little difficult but it's a great read and very informative.

Well what I'm after is a resource that's already available

The incarnation is good, but this is not for me.

I prefer to point people in the direction of a YouTube video than a book
  • Zoxasi,

If you wish to have a good understanding of our faith, then it is a must that you read this book! As Orthodox Christians, it is our duty to fully understand our faith through our holy church fathers such as St. Athanasius, who is one of the great pillars of Orthodoxy. If you wish to explain our faith to others than it is imperative that you have a good and thorough understanding, which can only be gained through The Bible and Church fathers.
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=10536.msg128114#msg128114 date=1295989803]
    Zoxasi,

If you wish to have a good understanding of our faith, then it is a must that you read this book! As Orthodox Christians, it is our duty to fully understand our faith through our holy church fathers such as St. Athanasius, who is one of the great pillars of Orthodoxy. If you wish to explain our faith to others than it is imperative that you have a good and thorough understanding, which can only be gained through The Bible and Church fathers.

For goodness sake!

NOT ME!!

I'm looking for a website/PDF/YouTube resource to give to others.

Dear o dear!!!!!!!!!

OK!! I've read the incarnation. That's great. I just would like to give some muslims something that will answer their questions easily.

If there's a YouTube Video..this would be ideal.

• since you read the book, explain it them yourself
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=10536.msg128158#msg128158 date=1295996092]
    since you read the book, explain it them yourself.]

Oh for goodness sake, these people are so stubborn.

Trust me on this, if there is a YouTube video, it will be way better.

I can copy and paste links.

Or a Q&A website that may exist.

Thanks.  You've been all so helpful.

In fact, I told them that they should go to tasbeha.org and post their questions, but I'm sad to see that they haven't done this yet.

We are dealing with who don't want to read, nor learn and have a stubborn opinion.

So, if there is a resource on the net available, that's a video or something that captures their small attention span, it would be better.

Preferably in Arabic too.
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=10536.msg128041#msg128041 date=1295944724]

I strongly recommend you read On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius. You can find it here: http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/history/ath-inc.htm

man, i have been looking for that book for a while, thanks tho
    PRFM