BEING A TRUE SERVANT

edited February 2012 in Faith Issues

Comments

• Hello GODLOVESME,

I think that you should stay as a Sunday school servant and the reason that I am saying this is because you realize that you don't deserve it. Which one of us doesn't do mistakes. Which one of us deserves to be a Sunday school teacher.

There are many more thoughts on my mind but I just cant put them into words. I will let my brothers and sisters take it from here.

God bless.
    Ebnyasoo3
  • I don't teach Sunday school, but I do teach fifth graders as a volunteer tutor in Mathematics and English at the local elementary school. I wanted to quit, too, when they told me that Math would be the primary focus. I'm terrible at Math! Absolutely awful. If anyone is unqualified to be teaching kids, it's me. So why am I still at it, four months later? Well, honestly, this is how I'm learning all the Math I didn't catch the first time around. It's not that I don't know how to multiply, divide, subtract, etc. already, but I'm finding it definitely true that the best way to learn something inside and out is to teach it. I'm certainly more confident in my Math abilities now than I was four months ago, and the truly great thing is that these kids are growing more confident, too.

Maybe you are in your position for similar reasons? Maybe it's not your priest who isn't letting you out, but God? You don't have to have perfect knowledge or a perfect life to teach kids. So long as you're not teaching the children that your bad behaviors (which you recognize are bad) are good, I don't see how you and they could not benefit from your role. Kids will naturally look up to you because you're older than they are, and they want to be how they think "older kids" (or adults) must be: Knowledgeable, confident, etc. Whether you are perfect or not isn't the point. Learning from them and with them is an accomplishment and an opportunity you should thank God for.

In fact: Thank you, God, for teaching me my fractions...finally.  ;)
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10506.msg127586#msg127586 date=1295544896]
    Hi everyone...hope you are all well.  I just had a question:

I have been a Sunday School teacher for a number of years.  I don't particularly like working with children that much but I have gotten used to it over the past couple years...I was put into this service when I was only 16 or 17 and I have told my priest that I do not think I am fit to teach Sunday School, I do not think that I am a good role model for the kids at my church and I am not a true and proper servant to my Sunday School kids either.  He refuses to let me out of the service and has told me to work on the personal problems that would cause me to not be a good role model and fix them.  I was talking to a friend once and he made a distinction between merely being a teacher and what it means to serve, but we never got into detail about it.  My question is:

How can one be a true servant and not just a teacher who teaches the lesson every week?  What is the true meaning of service (especially in the context of teaching Sunday School)?

Thank you for your responses in advance.

Hi!
    Thank u for ur question,
    I have a GREAT SITE here about serving in sudnayschool! Hope it helps: http://www.sundayschoolservice.org/spiritofserving.asp

God bless
  • I would say also in complement to dzheremi's words:  learn about your kids.  Find out who they are, despite possibly being familiar with them in the parish.
  • Pray every day carefully and with attention for each of your Sunday School students. Consider them your responsibility, and that you have a duty to know them and pray for them.

Put effort into the lessons, and make sure that you yourself are learning the lessons you teach and putting into practice the instruction you offer.

Share yourself with your students as far as is age appropriate. Let them know that when you are teaching them about X, Y or Z you have also struggled, and A, B and C are the things you have learned to help learn the lesson.

Intend to be, and seek to become, the example of the Christian you wish each student to become.

Father Peter
  • Godlovesme,

Have you watched the movie that is adopted from HH Pope Shenouda's book " it happened that night"? If not, you may like to do so! Maybe,it is somewhere online.The film has three parts. The first part is about  a Sunday school teacher who suddenly finds himself at the gates of heaven, only to be told,that he was not worthy to enter into heaven for he was not a true servant, etc etc.He gets another chance and goes back to earth to serve properly.
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=10506.msg127606#msg127606 date=1295553768]
    Godlovesme,

Have you watched the movie that is adopted from HH Pope Shenouda's book " it happened that night"? If not, you may like to do so! Maybe,it is somewhere online.The film has three parts. The first part is about  a Sunday school teacher who suddenly finds himself at the gates of heaven, only to be told,that he was not worthy to enter into heaven for he was not a true servant, etc etc.He gets another chance and goes back to earth to serve properly.

oooh i saw that movie! It´s so beautiful and useful too, learns how to be a real servant, not any servant comes into his Kingdom.

Buttt I had a question: I also have a class, and i love my kids, especially 2 boys )7 years) from egypt they are soooooo cute, but I have a GiRL she is so stubborn, every time one of sundayschool teacher says sometihng she says: NO always she contradicts, so i say left: she says right
    and i tried in any way, not harsh but mafeesh fayda its useless... even in an kind way.. what to do?
  • I watched it too. It is such a good... I don't wan't to say movie because a movie is more in the
    trems of entertainment. Lets say, it is such a good life lesson (video formated ;))
    @+marmar+:
    Pray for them***especially the stubborn one***
    God will work his perfect will in her. Maybe, she will lead you to... do something
    that will bring you closer to God. i.e because of her, whenever, there is a feast in the church,
    you will go and she will see you and get influenced.
    DON'T FORGET, you where once a little girl and yany, I don't think your an
    obediant angel with your parents, sunday school teachers... whatever.
    God bless, Pray for me, Hope it helps,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10506.msg127619#msg127619 date=1295557048]
    I watched it too. It is such a good... I don't wan't to say movie because a movie is more in the
    trems of entertainment. Lets say, it is such a good life lesson (video formated ;))
    @+marmar+:
    Pray for them***especially the stubborn one***
    God will work his perfect will in her. Maybe, she will lead you to... do something
    that will bring you closer to God. i.e because of her, whenever, there is a feast in the church,
    you will go and she will see you and get influenced.
    DON'T FORGET, you where once a little girl and yany, I don't think your an
    obediant angel with your parents, sunday school teachers... whatever.
    God bless, Pray for me, Hope it helps,
    Cyril

hahahaha, for sure am not an obediant angle, maybe i was even worser than she was muahaha (and still am ;))
    Rabina m3ak
  • Hello,

Does anyone know if they made subtitles for this movie?

Ebnyasoo3
  • I think I saw it on el-Maqar TV and it had subtitles.
    I don't know if there is one with subtitles out there.
    I am pretty sure you can rent or buy it from you church bookstore or library.
    GB, PFM,
    Cyril
  • Hey ebnyasoo3,

I found one with subtitles on watchcopticmovie.com, which has many Coptic movies, and all with subtitles too. I can't post a direct link to the video, but I can guide you through how to get there (the whole site has exactly 1 url, which is quite frustrating).

You'll have to click on the link which has the icon that looks like this:image at its corner. Next go to the third page, and you'll see images of the movie. Finally in the 4th row and 2nd column of the images you'll find the image of the video, and if you click on it, it'll take you to it.

Please pray for me
  • marmar's website is great.
    http://www.sundayschoolservice.org/spiritofserving.asp

the important thing is to pray for all the kids every week by name, and get to know them and their families.
    as for the difficult kid, just keep trying. you are probably making a big difference in her life, but she is too proud to show it.
    my friend often feels down about sunday school and feels she is not effective, but i have heard directly from the kids how much they love her and when it is time for sunday school, they all get excited! she often doesn't enjoy it and doesn't think she is a good teacher, but i understand why God has given her that job. don't worry, i did keep telling her she is great, just to encourage her so she doesn't give up!
  • Are the stories from "It Happened That Night" true?
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10506.msg127851#msg127851 date=1295730913]
    marmar's website is great.

the important thing is to pray for all the kids every week by name, and get to know them and their families.
    as for the difficult kid, just keep trying. you are probably making a big difference in her life, but she is too proud to show it.
    my friend often feels down about sunday school and feels she is not effective, but i have heard directly from the kids how much they love her and when it is time for sunday school, they all get excited! she often doesn't enjoy it and doesn't think she is a good teacher, but i understand why God has given her that job. don't worry, i did keep telling her she is great, just to encourage her so she doesn't give up!

thanks mabsoota, pray 4 me! :D

[quote author=anba bola link=topic=10506.msg127772#msg127772 date=1295650647]
    Hey ebnyasoo3,

I found one with subtitles on watchcopticmovie.com, which has many Coptic movies, and all with subtitles too. I can't post a direct link to the video, but I can guide you through how to get there (the whole site has exactly 1 url, which is quite frustrating).

You'll have to click on the link which has the icon that looks like this:image at its corner. Next go to the third page, and you'll see images of the movie. Finally in the 4th row and 2nd column of the images you'll find the image of the video, and if you click on it, it'll take you to it.

Please pray for me

WOW that SITE IS AMAZING! GOD BLESS YOU!
    DO you know how u can download those movies???

GB!
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10506.msg127851#msg127851 date=1295730913]
    marmar's website is great.

Thank u mabsoota! Pray for me!!!

[quote author=anba bola link=topic=10506.msg127772#msg127772 date=1295650647]

WOW, that site is AMAZING!! DO u know how i can DOWNLOAD those movies???

Gb
    Hey ebnyasoo3,

Please pray for me

WHY IS MY POST FLAGGED AS SPAM???
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10506.msg127972#msg127972 date=1295892442]
    Are the stories from "It Happened That Night" true?

Probably not.HH Pope Shenouda wrote those stories while he was still a Bishop.But I think,they are true in a sense since we find all those characters in the life of 'servants'.The first part is in the book "the release of the spirit".