How can we stop Terrorist Attacks against Copts?

Hi,

I'd like to create a thread dedicated to terrorist attacks against Coptic Christians. Obviously, those trying to kill us are not Evangelical Christians, nor Tax collectors, nor Arsenal football supporters. They are muslims.

How or what can we do to make them happy? What exactly do they want from us? What have we done wrong to offend them?

What has a little girl , like Clara who was maimed and injured in the attacks, who has nothing to do with anything, got to do with this Islam's cause?

I think the west are starting to see what Islam is about. When Copts are attacked, no one can say that we are attacked because we are in Afghanistan, and Iraq. What have we done?

We are FOR the Palestianians and have stood by them.

We fought with the muslims against Israel.

Despite how much we've been sincere Egyptians to our country, we have always been treated like slaves by our muslim superiors in Egypt.

It seems the only reason for these attacks is pure hatred, embedded in the Quran, against non muslims.

I doubt that there will be any one rushing to convert to Islam, so, let's say that we all remain Christian: that obviously means we are going to keep on being attacked.. whether or not the government respects our citizenship or not. That won't cut it.

So, I disagree a bit with H.G Anba Angaelos: He thinks the answer is to give Copts equal rights in Egypt. What does that achieve? Are the terrorist attacks happening to us because we are an "easy target"? Or are they happening because we are Christian in a muslim - majority land?

The root cause is ultimately Islam. This needs to be dealt with.

After 9/11, many muslims were screaming out saying that what does America expect when it gives support to Israel?
After the London Bombings, they were screaming saying "What does England expect when it is attacking muslim lands"?
After the Dutch murder of Van Gogh, they said : "but he has insulted Islam".

The Coptic Christians have not drawn cartoons of the Islamic Prophet, we have not said ONE BAD WORD against Islam, and the Pope even said if anyone says a bad word against Islam, he/she is not a Christian.
We are not the cause of, nor do we support the wars in the Middle East either.

I believe that Copts DO have equal rights in Egypt. Maybe not at all levels of society, ok.. fine, but generally, its not about discrimination. Terrorist attacks are the cause of Islam's call to rid Egypt of Christianity.

The reason why such attacks will perpetuate is simple: there are many muslims do not see nor practice their faith. At the same time, there are muslims (known as terrorists) who practice  their faith.

We are attacked by those who practice their faith, yet who speaks for them are those who are peaceful (non fanaticals) who say to us "This is not Islam".

I think what they mean to say is this : "This cannot be Islam, because I'm a nice person".

What is the answer? How do we educate muslims about their Quran so they are aware of what is in it? so that they are aware of what its asking them to do??

These are difficult issues, but I hate wasting time. I prefer to address them. Its pointless protesting and asking America for help. If America KNEW that Islam was the problem, they would not have gone into war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Rather, they felt that those who have a radical view of Islam, happen to be in Iraq and Afghanistan.

America has extremely short term memory, and no patience, and it has a lot of power.

Muslims, equally, look at America as "Evil". Lol... they cannot distinguish, for the life of them, that America = a Country, and Christianity/Islam = Religions.

They cannot see that.

Are US Soldiers in Iraq building Churches??

As far as I know, many US soldiers have ended up converting to Islam to marry Iraqi women they've met there.

I know this post is long, but I really want to know WHAT can we do to stop attacks like this happening??

Comments

• [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10400.msg126489#msg126489 date=1294339547]
    You can do nothing.  Muslims will not be happy and will continue to attack everyone until every single person in the world is Muslim.

Exactly.. so its POINTLESS protesting in LA, NY, Europe, to our governments.

We are wasting energy doing that. They will NEVER see Islam as the problem.

I think the BEST thing to do is to show muslims these videos:

Part 1 , Part 2, 3 and 4.

These videos are from the AL Qaida Website. Muslims should NOT brush them off. They need to see what Jihad means. How it is being lived, and what their Quran is asking of them!! THEY NEED TO SEE!!!

At the very least, you'd have thought that the FBI would have tracked down user mohager by now? Wouldn't you??

Americans are SO slow.

We owe it to the USA to do this. We've been warning the west about Islam since the 70's, and no one paid any attention. Now they've had their own 9/11, they've started to wake up a bit. But they are still naive.

• so its POINTLESS protesting in LA, NY, Europe, to our governments.

Dear Zoxsasi,

I disagree with you that protesting is pointless. There are two benefits in protesting:

1- Showing emotional support for our brothers and sisters in Egypt. If we just pray for them and not protest, how will the people in Egypt know that we are with them, how will the families of the martyurs know that we, the Copts in the diaspora, feel their hurt. If we don't raise our voices, the Copts in Egypt would think that because we live in the diaspora, we don't care about them, we just care about ourselves. We are one body in Christ that is why we should show them our emotional support.

2- The second thing is that even if the US government does not do anything, when the Egyptian government hear that there were protests in LA, NY, Chicago, Europe and so on, the Egyptian government will be a bit intimidated

Note: I meant nonviolent Protests..

Just my two pennies.
    God bless.
    Merry Christmas.
    Ebnyasoo3
  • Sorry,

I respectfully disagree with you also Ebnyasoo3a:

Why do you need to protest in front of foreign embassies or buildings for? What will that change? As for the emotional support, we can support them emotionally in our own Churches.

Concerning the 2nd point: protesting is just to intimidate the Egyptian Government - right?

But what I'm saying is this:

We are putting our energy in trying to intimidate the Egyptian Government - but what will that change? What will it change if we are allowed to build churches, or if our religion is taken off of national ID cards? SO WHAT?
    Do u think that this will now stop terrorists from attacking us??

The root cause of terrorism is not the Egyptian Government. The root cause of terrorism is NOT because the government doesn't protect us. The root cause of terrorism is the god of Islam. Look at what he is asking his people to do? This must be addressed.

Otherwise, we are wasting our time.
  • How do you suggest that we address the problems of the god of Islam, Zoxsasi? I agree it is a problem, but in many years of politely (and sometimes not-so-politely) talking Muslims about the faulty nature of their religion, never has any Muslim decided that I was right and they were not. The best I've gotten is one private conversation I had with a friend who told me that my manner made him reconsider his previous opinion of Christians. Don't get me wrong, I was flattered and I think that is a great first step, but it's a far cry from stopping terrorism.

• Merry Christmas to all!

Brother Zoxsasi, I like your constant passion and straightforward thoughts

„We are FOR the Palestianians and have stood by them.
    We fought with the muslims against Israel.“

But, I think and believe, that this is one of those historical errors that our Coptic brothers in Egypt made. It saddenes me, after 1400 years of confrontational co-existance with Mohammedans, many Christians in Egypt are still unable to read and see the intentions or the agendas of  Mohammed's followers. The Muslims, whether the so-called „Moderates“ or others, still attempt to deceive you and the rest of the world.

I listend to the BBC's „World Have Your Say“ programm on the tragedy in Alexanderia, and, guess what, the dhmmi BBC invited one of the leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood, A Nigerian Imam who has just visited his Muslim brothers in Alexanderia, A Coptic traiter and apologist of Islam from London, and the only Christian representative, Mr. Ibrahim Habib who was constantly interrupted. If you follow the discussion carefully you would note that they try to blame the Coptic Christians for the Alexanderia Massacre. There is a psychopathological tendency, a sinidtere diabolic agenda in this world which trys to make aggressors as victims, and victims as aggressors, so, according to the makers of the BBC, the causers for the recent wave of attackes on Egyptian Christians are the Copts themselves, because they don't mingle in the mainstream Egpytian society, they retreated and locked themselves within the framework of their church, blablabla. Anyways, the whole discussion was disgusting, detestable, deplorable, and despicable. What a crazy world!

For the time being, I think our brothers and sisters should make some changes in the following things:

Right after last week's tragedy in Alexanderia, in was possible to hear the joyful reaction of some Muslims around the Saints Church, when the shouted the usual „Allahwahkbar!“. None Egyptians were discussing whether those who shouted could have been Coptic Christians, as they speak the same Arabic language....

So, it would be wise to change „Allah“ into „Noute“ „Ibrahim“ into „Abraham“ etc. Besides, the decree banning Coptic Christians from making pilgrimage to Jerusalem should be lifted. Muslims and the so-called Palestinians are and will always remain aggressors, not victims.

Psalm 90 (91)

He that dwelleth in the help of the Most High shall abide in the shelter of the God of heaven. He shall say unto the Lord: `Thou art my helper and my refuge. He is my God, and I will hope in Him.’ For He shall deliver thee from the snare of the hunters and from every troubling word. With His shoulders will He overshadow thee, and under His wings shalt thou have hope. With a shield will His truth encompass thee; thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night, nor for the arrow that flieth by day, nor for the thing that walketh in darkness, nor for the mishap and demon of noonday.
    A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand, but unto thee shall it not come nigh. Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold, and thou shalt see the reward of sinners. For Thou, O Lord, art my hope. Thou madest the Most High thy refuge; no evils shall come nigh thee, and no scourge shall draw nigh unto thy dwelling. For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. On their hands shall they bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Upon the asp and basilisk shalt thou tread, and thou shalt trample upon the lion and dragon. `For he hath set his hope on Me, and I will deliver him; I will shelter him because he hath known My name. He shall cry unto Me, and I will hearken unto him. I am with him in affliction, and I will rescue him and glorify him. With length of days will I satisfy him, and I will show him My salvation.’

AMEN!
  • I believe also that we should change the word for God to:  Nouti.

Did anyone see the Press Conference of His Holiness, the Government Minister, the Sheikh Al-Azhar, and the Moufti on Sunday?

Allow me to be a bit sarcastic towards the words of the Minister.
    He was asked by one of the journalist as to the responsibility of Islam in protecting the Christians and the their places of worship.

His reply was mantled with the precept that since they [the Christians] pronounce the word "Allah" in their places of worship we are obliged to protect them.  He added, even if we do not agree with them religiously.

Later, he feigned his completeness in protection to 'even the Jews in their synagogues'.

How many synagogues are there left in Egypt?  I believe two.  The government is trying to close one since there is no activity left, because there is no male rabbi.

I guess they will not protect the Jews, either, because they never pronounce the word "allah" as a representation of God.  The conclusion can only be made that they will not be protected by the government of Egypt.
  • Yesterday, at the Duomo Square, Milano, Italy, a rally was held by the Copts of Milano along with some supporting Italian organizations; among them there were the Northen Ligue, the "Amo l'Italia - I love Italy", Magdi Allam's party, and ADI (Amici di Israele - Friends of Israel).

Near the end of the gathering, the people from ADI put on their shoulders the Israeli flag. The Copts reacted violently refusing the presence of the Israeli flags. The police had to intervene to separate them and oblige the ADI people to leave the gathering.

You can see the pictures of the event here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=740485849&aid=322623

Can anyone please enlighten us on this very issue?
  • Not sure if someone posted this already..

The White House
    Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release                                                                                        January 01, 2011 

Statement by the President on the terrorist attacks in Egypt and Nigeria

I strongly condemn the separate and outrageous terrorist bombing attacks in Egypt and Nigeria. The attack on a church in Alexandria, Egypt caused 21 reported deaths and dozens of injured from both the Christian and Muslim communities.  The perpetrators of this attack were clearly targeting Christian worshipers, and have no respect for human life and dignity. They must be brought to justice for this barbaric and heinous act.  We are continuing to gather information regarding this terrible event, and are prepared to offer any necessary assistance to the Government of Egypt in responding to it. The attack near an army barracks in Abuja also reportedly killed more than 20 people and wounded many more. Killing innocent civilians who were simply gathering (like so many people around the world) to celebrate the beginning of a New Year further demonstrates the bankrupt vision of those who carry out these attacks, and we are similarly prepared to offer assistance to the Government of Nigeria as it works to bring the perpetrators to justice.

The United States extends its deepest condolences to the families of those killed and to the wounded in both of these attacks, and we stand with the Nigerian and Egyptian people at this difficult time.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/01/01/statement-president-terrorist-attacks-egypt-and-nigeria ;
  • I think there should be security at all COC doors. Not just anyone should be let in. Maybe a special Icon like St. George or another fighter Monk should be put in place.
    All Orthodox Churchs need to come together and voice with solidarity the disgust at such atrocities.
  • Security aren't as secure as you think. I live in America and our "Security" was chatting with a girl the entire time. Imagine circumstances in Egypt.