What are the OFFICIAL Rules of fasting in the church?

HI

I KNOW WHEN THE FASTS ARE AND THAT WE HAVE TO ABSTAIN FROM MILK, MEAT AND ALCOHOL.

BUT ON WHAT DAYS ARE WE REQUIRED TO FAST FROM ALL FOOD UNTIL 3PM?

IS IT DURING THE GREAT LENT ONLY, OR DURING EVERY FAST?

DON'T PATRONIZE ME BY TELLING ME TO TALK TO MY FATHER OF CONFESSION OR TELLING ME THAT FASTING IS NOT JUST FASTING FROM FOOD. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOOO ANNOYING.

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL CHURCH TRADITION.

THANKS

Comments

• abstaining till 3pm is for great lent, and also all wednesdays and fridays, except for the 50 days after Holy Pascha, where we don't fast at all on wednesdays and fridays.
    so in the Christmas fast, abstaining from food or drink should be till 12 noon, and then 3pm on wednesdays and fridays.

however most people don't manage all the abstaining, it's really difficult with most jobs.
    in fact i don't know many people who manage it (i don't)! the people who do are really lovely people though.
    hmmm...
  • Are we technically supposed to fast tomorrow (Christmas Day)? Or is it ok because it is the Feast?
  • Servant33,

Why would we technically supposedly fast tomorrow?
  • There are two degrees of fasting 1st and 2nd degree.

1st Degree is Lent and Jonahs Fast. Fast all day from midnight until 6pm or until the liturgy is over if you attended.
                Abstaining from meat, dairy, and FISH. For liturgy you should fast all day as well but if for some reason you cant just,  stick with the 9 hours before communion and make sure its alright with the priest celebrating the liturgy

2nd Degree is for the reat of the fasts including Wednesday and Friday. Fast all day from midnight until 3pm. Abstaining from Meat and dairy only. Fish is allowed by the church to allow enough nutrition for the body to be healthy.

if doing any personal fasts advised by a Father of Confession, ask him what degree of fasting you should do.

Pray for me
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10392.msg126511#msg126511 date=1294342627]
    Servant33,

I think he's asking because it's a Friday. Servant33, if any of the Lord's Major Feasts land on a Wed or Fri, then the Feast takes precedence and fasting is not observed. I'm not 100% sure about Minor Feasts though, but I'm sure someone more intelligible can enlighten us about that.
  • [quote author=DavidI link=topic=10392.msg126514#msg126514 date=1294343726]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=10392.msg126511#msg126511 date=1294342627]
    Servant33,

I think he's asking because it's a Friday. Servant33, if any of the Lord's Major Feasts land on a Wed or Fri, then the Feast takes precedence and fasting is not observed. I'm not 100% sure about Minor Feasts though, but I'm sure someone more intelligible can enlighten us about that.

Oh kk, thanks!