Coptic Orthodox Priest without a Bishop?

Christ is Born!  Let us Glorify Him! 

Hello everyone, although I am not a Coptic Christian, I am a member of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, and I have a dear friend who is a Coptic Orthodox priest-monk from Egypt who lives in Canada now.  He doesn't have a parish, and celebrates the Mass by himself most times.  I don't think he even has a bishop--I've tried asking, but I don't get an answer (I'm thinking he doesn't understand me).  My question: like the Byzantine Orthodox Churches, it is the same in the Oriental Orthodox Churches that a priest is always to be attached to either a parish or a monastery and be subject to a specific bishop at all times, or are dispensations sometimes granted for some to be "rogue" (for lack of a better word)?  I don't know if I need to further break down my inquiry, but I'll put this out there first and work with the comments that come up.  Thank you everyone. 

Comments

• [quote author=joseph.vandenbrink link=topic=10380.msg126341#msg126341 date=1294209144]
    Christ is Born!  Let us Glorify Him! 

Hello everyone, although I am not a Coptic Christian, I am a member of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, and I have a dear friend who is a Coptic Orthodox priest-monk from Egypt who lives in Canada now.  He doesn't have a parish, and celebrates the Mass by himself most times.  I don't think he even has a bishop--I've tried asking, but I don't get an answer (I'm thinking he doesn't understand me).  My question: like the Byzantine Orthodox Churches, it is the same in the Oriental Orthodox Churches that a priest is always to be attached to either a parish or a monastery and be subject to a specific bishop at all times, or are dispensations sometimes granted for some to be "rogue" (for lack of a better word)?  I don't know if I need to further break down my inquiry, but I'll put this out there first and work with the comments that come up.  Thank you everyone. 

there are many places in the world (98% outside Egypt, the motherland), there are priests for a perish (or a small number of coptic people) but that parish or areas is not a diocese yet to be lead by a bishop. in that case, the priest serves under the Pope himself. Actually, any official and established coptic church/congregation that is not under a bishops guidance, it is than under the Pope's guidance. That is mostly clear when a bishop departs....until a new bishop is ordained, the diocese is lead by the pope himself.
  • Thank you very much, that makes a great deal of sense and is along similar lines to the Byzantine practice with the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople. 

I guess I need to specify this: this priest-monk is in this country for treatment for an illness (treatment has been now for several years) and though once had a chapel with altar in his basement (even though there was a Coptic church in the same city) and would celebrate the Mass in his basement, and not at the church.  He moved to another part of the country (sadly) and now lives in an apartment and has an altar in his sleeping chamber where he celebrates the Mass.  He often celebrates it alone, and as far as I know doesn't or hasn't received any converts. 

If Tasbeha had a "Tag" function, I'd be tagging Fr. Peter (sorry Father, I like picking on clergy, since they are usually more educated in the canons than us lay people--please bless me, Father +) for a clerical perspective and response--even other clergy on Tasbeha, I'd be tagging you if I knew who you all were.  I greatly appreciate your feedback.  Thanks again!
  • [quote author=joseph.vandenbrink link=topic=10380.msg126344#msg126344 date=1294211827]
    If Tasbeha had a "Tag" function, I'd be tagging Fr. Peter (sorry Father, I like picking on clergy, since they are usually more educated in the canons than us lay people--please bless me, Father +) for a clerical perspective and response--even other clergy on Tasbeha, I'd be tagging you if I knew who you all were.  I greatly appreciate your feedback.  Thanks again!

hehe....i am not a priest....just a deacon/reader.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=10380.msg126347#msg126347 date=1294213748]
    [quote author=joseph.vandenbrink link=topic=10380.msg126344#msg126344 date=1294211827]

I am dearly sorry, my Brother, I did not mean offense!  You are tonsured clergy according the canons of the Church, and I do ask your forgiveness.  I just know that Priests and Deacons are specifically trained in canon law as well, and I am just trying to seek out an answer to a supposed difference between the EO and OO, if this supposed difference even exists. 

I ask and say all things in love here: I reckon you all as my brothers, sisters, fathers, and mothers. 
  • [quote author=joseph.vandenbrink link=topic=10380.msg126348#msg126348 date=1294214001]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=10380.msg126347#msg126347 date=1294213748]
    [quote author=joseph.vandenbrink link=topic=10380.msg126344#msg126344 date=1294211827]

I am dearly sorry, my Brother, I did not mean offense!  You are tonsured clergy according the canons of the Church, and I do ask your forgiveness.  I just know that Priests and Deacons are specifically trained in canon law as well, and I am just trying to seek out an answer to a supposed difference between the EO and OO, if this supposed difference even exists. 

I ask and say all things in love here: I reckon you all as my brothers, sisters, fathers, and mothers. 

ohh....don't worry about it....i was joking around. no offense taken.
  • A priest is not allowed to celebrate the Liturgy alone.  It is beyond rare to be granted that type of situation.  I have never heard it to be granted, although theoretically possible.  If you read Fr. Tadros Malaty's book:  Church--House of God.

There are three elemental worshippers that must be present for the Divine Liturgy:  Priest, Deacon, Congregation.

In extreme situation, a bishop will grant dispensation for only two elemental worshippers.

No Monk or priest is allowed to enter the jurisdiction of His Holiness unless he has a signed letter.  Any priest that is to offer a Liturgy in any Coptic Church in the Diaspora must present a letter of permission to enter the Papal jurisdictions.  If he does not, no matter how pious, he is not allowed to offer the Liturgy.

I won't comment on this monk's situation since I do not know the pertinents.  I only commented in general.

I have attend, relative to necessity, a Liturgy as the sole deacon, with one sole congregant with the priest to offer the Divine Liturgy on a Paramouni for the Feast of the Nativity.