RELIGION AND THE ELECTION

edited October 2004 in Faith Issues
Does our religion have a certain view on the upcoming election?

Comments

• What kind of view are you thinking of?

sleepy
  • im thinking on the line of which president would benefit us religiously?
  • Personally, I believe that Bush would benefit us more spiritually just because he knows God and he's going to keep the christian values alive in the nation with what he believes in.

sleepy
  • but how could u tell.....the media could present him as that when he realli isnt.....dont get me wrong i think bush is better than kerry.... :) :)
  • our religion doesnt have a prefrence of who you vote for but they are strong in believeing that each person should vote when they can and that is a christian duty... but they dont favor one side over the other... i do agree that most christians do like Bush
  • i could see why....kerry changes his opinion 2 much...
  • God knows bush and kerry are both worse than each other, but if we're looking at it as who'll benefit the church more and sorta keepGOD in the picture is bush just because he's completely against gay marriages and kerry is probably going to support it, i also heard that keery wants to take the part where we say "one nation under God"in the pledge of allegiance because he doesnt wanna offend any religion or persons beliefe, i also heard he wants to take out "IN God we trust"out of the dollar and "God bless america"out of the flag cuz he's lyk religion has nothing to do with our country or politics or sumwhere along the line...but all i kno is that all muslims r gonna vote for him cuz of the whole "GOD"illimanation thing cuz although it says God in general its really referring to Christ Jesus, and all gay ppl r gonna vote for him cuz hes ok with gay marriages...so i mean although i wish sum1 else would be running other than those two, if i had to choose 1 i'd say bush, but may God do what's best cuz lyk meryam said the media is such a devil in disguise sometimes

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • also bush is against abortions...that is also on the side of christianity...

• [quote author=Magnoona4lyf link=board=1;threadid=666;start=0#msg12366 date=1096602067]
    God knows bush and kerry are both worse than each other, but if we're looking at it as who'll benefit the church more and sorta keepGOD in the picture is bush just because he's completely against gay marriages and kerry is probably going to support it, i also heard that keery wants to take the part where we say "one nation under God"in the pledge of allegiance because he doesnt wanna offend any religion or persons beliefe, i also heard he wants to take out "IN God we trust"out of the dollar and "God bless america"out of the flag cuz he's lyk religion has nothing to do with our country or politics or sumwhere along the line...but all i kno is that all muslims r gonna vote for him cuz of the whole "GOD"illimanation thing cuz although it says God in general its really referring to Christ Jesus, and all gay ppl r gonna vote for him cuz hes ok with gay marriages...so i mean although i wish sum1 else would be running other than those two, if i had to choose 1 i'd say bush, but may God do what's best cuz lyk meryam said the media is such a devil in disguise sometimes

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*

u know wats awkward... on the debates he stated "God Bless America" as his closing line for his rebuttal... and if muslims do vote for him, its not because of hte whole Jesus Christ n God thing, itll be cause they want american troops n forces out of the middle east (iraq... afghanistan... etc) not because of the random lines we use in our constitution, currency, bill fo riights.,etc

only thing that i dont like about bush is that he's supporting catholic and charter schools.... not public ones like kerry is
    but in everything else, i think bush is the better of the two to pick because he wont legalize abortion or gay 'unions' as i'd prefer to say
  • tru....but yesterday in the presendital debate kerry states that we need to find better ways to understand the islamic world....or sumthing along those lines.......but i honestly think its a waste of time not to be harsh or anything...sum people are just not willing to change their ways....
  • i totally agree with aruba and everyone else
    i thinkk that bush would be the best way to go bec he might still keep the little religion that we have in this country
    if kerry is president this country will not be a christian one anymore if we are eliminating all these stuff
    and about the thing when kerry said we need to reach out for the muslim ppl i think that he will just start trouble.

CA
  • thats wat im worrying about....cuz every1 is saying that kerry did better in the presidential debate yesterday....even tho bush had many good points.....but since kerry favors abortions and gay marriages many people might vote for him.......but its all in god's hand....lol.... :) :) :)
  • actually, people who heard the debate on the radio said it sounded like Bush won, while people who watched it on TV said that Kerry won. one bishop from the coptic church is going to vote for Bush because he is revealing the real islam that the world is not aware of.
  • my own opinion is that if i had the chance to vote i would vote for bush
    but besides all the religion stuff he did stop the stem cell research
    because he believed that it was a life that we were destroying
    i think that its not a life YET
    so that was the thing that i disagreed with him about
    what do u guys think is it aganist the religion to go on with this research
  • yea they say Bush's posture was bad and Kerry seemed comfortable up at the stand.....but your hand gestures dont have to be amazing for you to be a great leader......coptic angel.....wats the stem cell research.....sorry...lol....im just curious.. :) :) :)and i dont want to reply talking about sumthing else...
  • well Coptic Angel

the whole stem-cell thing is pretty controversial....

stem cells have great potential uses, they can transform to other types of cells that can repair tissue and possibly bring cures to illnesses where no medcial cures exist, it can treat diseases like Parkinson's, diabetes, Alzheimer's and spinal cord injuries.... so the argument is why not use an aborted embryo to help a living human being

however...well it would be against our religion..because to obtain a stem cell, you would obtain it from a human embryo....thus you are causing the death of a HUMAN BEING.....pretty much MURDER...so that would be supporting abortion

I also think Bush is better than Kerry, he is definetly more religious and I think also that the little bit of religious side to this country will be gone if Kerry is president
    im voting for Bush! :)
  • i thought u said Bush is prettier than Kerry....lol.... :) :) :)....thanks for explaining it i get it......lol... :) :) :)
  • We should all vote for Nader. ;D
  • i'm not old enough 2 vote, but if i could, i still wouldn't know who to vote 4. both canidates have their ups and downs. :P
  • hey......i noe who u r angelofgod.....i just saw u today....c tasbeha.org brings us 2gother (lyk dis...syl....lol...hahahah)....lol :) :) :)
  • religiously- bush
    otherwise- kerry
  • i can see that almost everyone here wants bush and i too was the same way until a friend of mine made me watch farenhiet 911, you probably never new this but bush workes with the bin laden family and that's how he made his money, then i watched another movie forgot the name but it showed that the so called facts about 911 arent tru and that a plane didnt hit the pentagon and that there was a bomb that hit the world trade centers before it was hit by the planes, so the media does control wat u no, i suggest that you guys get this movie and watch it its a documentary so it all tru and there are tapes and/or documents to prove all of this
  • Nonetheless, Bush works to keep religion somewhat in government. He said that if he's elected again he wants to make a constitutional amendment saying that gay marriages shouldn't be allowed and such, and that abortions shouldn't be allowed except in certain cases. He keeps us alive in government. Kerry, however seems to go for what the people want. For all those who support gay marriages (not nessacarily being gay themselves), for all those who want to "make the choice", I mean, that's all they keep going about (and other stuff, but this is what people are holding against each). All I know, that out of the two, I support Bush. (Thanks Mark, made me give him another look....lol)

sleepy
  • hey....i saw parts of farenheit 911.....i guess i'll try and watch the whole thing again...but i dont think it matters all the presidents that were ever elected had something to hide from us.....bill clinton let bin laden go but was still one of the best leaders we ever had......lol....but i think Kerry its a push over and will do what other people tell him rather then wut he thinks its rite...and he CANT MAKE UP HIS MIND..... :) :) :)
  • thank u very much princessMary
    but i sorry im gonna go off the topic for a little bit but i dont think that this is a human life yet
    i believe that its a human life when its in the mother's stomach and is nurished correctly but if we leave it like that its gonna die anyway
    so u might as well use it to find a cure for cancer and other diseases
    so really its kinda helpfull
    the contraversu on it is that some ppl say that its a "human life" jsut like PrincessMary said but i think that it isnt yet and that is what other ppl think
    so please explain to me how it is a human life
  • o sorry forgot to answer the other thing
    if we're talking about stuff that bush did do from behind our back
    well there is the thing about the tubes in iraq
    the bush administration said that these tubes were the ones that were used for the nuclear weapons and that was the whole reason for us to go into iraq
    but now they found out that these tubes had nothing to do with the nuclear weapons and that that was for somehting about rockets i guess
    and we still went into war
    the funny thing is that bush knew that from the beginning and alot of scientists told him that and there was only one that told him that there was a chance the these would be used for nuclear weapons and he listened to that one person
    doesnt that make u wonder
    so know we know that bush is not telling the truth about alot of stuff and now that i think about it again how would we know that hes telling the truth about what hes going to do about the gay marriages and the religion

yes i said that i would vote for him and i will but how do we know that he will do whatever he says.

CA
  • dear Coptic Angel,

Our church only allows abortion in the case when the mothers life is at risk...like when there are some complications.

A fetus is a human being. It is a human life that is formed at conception. The zygote contains 46 chromosomes, half from each parent, it has a unique entity that is separate from the mother, it is its own being.

A fetus does have vital organs present and responds to stimuli, it moves, and it grows, just as we do.....

-"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."Psalm 139:13-16

-"Thus says the Lord who made you and formed you from the womb" Isaiah 44:2

-"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you" Jeremiah 1:5
  • even if bush is not goin to support gay marriages it is not the governments place to put religion into our country, it wont be so great if it was another religion he was supportin. I think u should look at the whole picture. lets say he doesnt support gay marriages gay men will still do wat they do it makes no diffrence
  • i agree with princessMAry....ur filled with knowledge...lol... :) and coptic angel how do u noe der going to die.....and we donno what bush will do...but he has been with us for 4 years....and there has been no attack since 9/11.....god rest their souls....but kerry is questionable and rite now we cant afford to follow a man who doesnt now were he is going....
  • I honestly think that more of the issues need to be brought to attention and not just abortion and gay marriage. Bush is president now and look at Mass. they've made gay marriage legal! Majority rules in the U.S. and sometimes the president can't help it. Abortion is also still going on even though Bush is president. Of course Kerry may make those things more widespread but thats where the four-year term comes in. He won't have as much time as he needs to. There should be a lot of research done before one votes. There are a lot of issues and its better to get the facts and the statistics instead of something biased from one of their speeches. Politicians always manipulate the facts to make it work for them. The religious significance is that one shouldn't vote republican just because it seems like thats what side the church would take. Was it very christian of Bush to rush a country into a war that wasn't well planned? People died there too and some of them in an even more horrific way than abortion. Look at the actions taken by these men and determine for yourselves if they are christian or not. Republicans favor the death penalty but that is something the church does not. I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned. They happen to be taking away a person's chance to repent and confess. Sorry for rambing on and on but i just think it is every person's duty to make an educated decision.