Question in the liturgy

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I was asked this question in Sunday school 2nd grade class and I didn’t know the answer. Any help is appreciated.

I was saying the church is the house of angels and at the end of liturgy, the priest dismisses the angel. then I was asked when in the liturgy the same angel comes from haven to attend the mass.  I didn't know what to say.

Comments

• [quote author=flexmd link=topic=9846.msg120539#msg120539 date=1286814130]
    I was asked this question in Sunday school 2nd grade class and I didn’t know the answer. Any help is appreciated.

I was saying the church is the house of angels and at the end of liturgy, the priest dismisses the angel. then I was asked when in the liturgy the same angel comes from haven to attend the mass.  I didn't know what to say.

I would say the night before during Vespers Praise where in the end we say "O the angel of this night, flying up with him, remember us before that Lord, that He may forgive us our sins.
  • It is in Matins.  Matins is the portion by which "the table is set".
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9846.msg120544#msg120544 date=1286815731]
    It is in Matins.  Matins is the portion by which "the table is set".

the table is set AFTER matins...
  • If I understand correctly, we are talking about the angel of the sacrifice (as I was always told) .

This implies that the angel comes when the bread and the wine are turned into body and blood.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ebnyasoo3
  • [quote author=ebnyasoo3 link=topic=9846.msg120547#msg120547 date=1286816067]
    If I understand correctly, we are talking about the angel of the sacrifice (as I was always told) .

This implies that the angel comes when the bread and the wine are turned into body and blood.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

The sacrifice is what it is from the time it is presented.
  • The Matins Raising of the Incense begins the Invocation to the Angels and the Heavenly Hosts.  The "red carpet" is rolled out for Emmanuel to come.  The intermission [a quasi junction between] between the start of the Presentation of the Lamb and the end of Matins, the altar is prepared, and the inaudible prayers of the priest are to call upon the Father to send the angel of the Sacrifice.

The Making of the Body and Blood is not at all related to the Angel.  He is present as a witness.  The actual Act is by the Coming of the Holy Spirit (known as the Epiclesis).  It is the Holiest moment of the Liturgy.  No eye should look upon the altar.

So in my earlier post, though brief, was to identify at least that the process begins in Matins.  The Vespers Doxology that minagir was alluding to deals with a sacrifice (of prayer and praise) not the Divine Sacrifice of the Only-Begotten Son.