Chalice Throne-Consecrated?

I know the paten, chalice and all the utensils get consecrated. But how about the chalice throne (in case anyone is wondering, that is the big box with all the pictures around it, where the chalice is placed during the entire liturgy)?

PK

Comments

• Everything in use by the church should be consecrated. However, I have heard that if the chalice is already consecrated it sanctifies the throne if not. Don't know if this is a fact though.
  • Lol my church has one that is clear plastic and lights up at the bottom
  • generally speaking.....everything that is used in the liturgy in direct way must (if not, should be) consecrated. Meaning: the altar (which makes the whole Church consecrated), the pillars around (if there), the vessels, the chalice throne, crosses, gospel (metal box that we call el-bishara), incense box, censer, book stand, candle stand.......procession cross and fans (cherubs and seraphs).....

the thing is that some of those things no one is supposed to directly touch them other than full deacons who are ordained to touch them (because some are not) and higher ranks. for that strict reason, many bishops began not consecrating less things in the altar since many began to touch them more often. but i don't think it's a big deal.....because as i said, the consecrated Altar consecrates everything around it used in the service and the vessels that are directly in contact with the Body and Blood.
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=9505.msg117094#msg117094 date=1280208528]
    Lol my church has one that is clear plastic and lights up at the bottom

we have one of those to......it looks cool considering the fact that you see the chalice inside--which i guess makes the mind thinks a little about what's happening.

But personally, i am a little old-fashioned. i like the original wooden ones with written icons on. we have 2 or 3 that are made by Isaac Fanous himself back in the 70s or the 80s and they are just awesome.
  • It should be consecrated.

Other things that should be consecrated that are included in the rites:  priests' vestments, and the veils of the altar.

As for the lucite plastic tabernacles, in my opinion, I do not like them.  They are not made from materials that is listed in the Old Testament in terms of their symbolism and precious character.  Also the chalice and the Holy Contents radiate and do not need false illumination.  It, in my perspective, is the same reason why we do not put flowers on the altar.  The Essential Presence of Christ gives off the True Light.  Moreover, it is consistent with the Book of Revelation which identifies that there is no Sun in the Heavenly Jerusalem since God is the Illumination.

There is no official commentary on the lucite tabernacles, but it is my thought and perspective.

In another regard, I think they look cheesy.
  • so what can we and can we not touch that is consecrated? i know we cant touch the utensils but about everything else?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=9505.msg117651#msg117651 date=1281302562]
    so what can we and can we not touch that is consecrated? i know we cant touch the utensils but about everything else?

technically speaking, we are not supposed to touch anything that is consecrated directly with our hands.
  • so why do we hold the censer, cross, bible and incense holder?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=9505.msg117662#msg117662 date=1281324091]
    so why do we hold the censer, cross, bible and incense holder?

well that's why most bishops began not to consecrate these things just because we touch them so much these days. i know many old-fashioned deacons (if i may say this) that still hold the shoria with a lefafa and the bible (considering that it supposed to only be used for the litany and procession of the gospel and not the general processions we do - 1 in vespers, 1 in matins and 2 in liturgy).