Paul John Paul ll Kissing The Quran!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi guys,

I couldn't believe my own eyes when I saw the Pope kissing the Quran. Why on earth did he do that? I heard from someone that the Roman Catholic church could be the founder of the Islamic faith. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Comments

• Whoever said that to you is talking dangerous rubbish. There are reasons to be critical of some aspects of Catholic teaching and practice but no need to make up lies. Catholics have suffered as much at the hands of Muslims as Orthodox.
  • lol, that is way off man, of course not. That's like saying H.H. Pope Shenouda kissed the Quraan. You should learn when it comes to these kinds of things that you shouldn't trust everything you hear. You must do your own research and find them out.
  • geomike, he DID kiss the Koran.

A bad mistake and error of judgement.

But it is a lie to say that the Catholic Church founded Islam.

Father Peter
  • He also declared it a divinely inspired book. 

I ask yet again, is this not heresy?

Should John Paul have been excommunicated.

The koran presented to him was not a surprise.  As with everything in the Latin Church, everything is rehearsed and staged.

God have mercy on his soul.
  • If he was rational, then it was heresy.

If he was senile, then why was he not releaved of duties?

Both scenarios are scary.
  • Call me liberal, but I find his actions simply him being diplomatic.  The fact that he praised Islam or even called it 'divine' doesn't necessary make him a heretic, more a 'politician' lol [even though CLEARLY it isn't.]  We all know very well how Christian this man was, he was [in my opinion, at least] a great representative of Christianity. 

We also shouldn't pass judgment on him.  I mean most of us would've been saying the same thing to St. Peter, when he denied Christ.
  • I understand the "grandfather" thought, but it is still with major ramifications.
  • Oh wow, sorry for critisizing. I am the one who should've done the research forgive me. but wow, i am amazed that the pope would do that.
  • no no no, if anything I'm the one who should be apologizing.  I realized now after rereading my earlier comment, that I came off a bit harsh, which was honestly something un-intended.  I do apologize, i was merely attempting to throw in a differing point of view.
  • Would you be surpised to know that John Paul II does not think too much about the blood of Christ or the salvation by His precious blood?

Would it surprise you if you know that he considers Jesus, Mohamed, Budda, and whoever else on the same level?

Do you actually know John Paul II ? Because if you do, kissing the Quran is very much expected from the previous bishop of Rome.

We all know very well how Christian this man was, he was [in my opinion, at least] a great representative of Christianity.

The man is a mess and the worst figure in the West in the 20th century. The damage he did to the Latins is beyond repair.

We also shouldn't pass judgment on him.

No, we should and we are very much entitled to point out that this act is despicable, regardless of the fact that it comes from a latin so-called catholic.

I mean most of us would've been saying the same thing to St. Peter, when he denied Christ.

No, we would not.
  • Stavro,

You said what I say in public, but did not put here because I thought it would be "moderated".

I agree with you 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000%

• + I don't know, but it looks like he's smelling it  ;D
    I think we should all just pray about this situation though..
  • I find it refreshing how zealous you guys are in sticking to our conservative roots. 

Would you be surpised to know that John Paul II does not think too much about the blood of Christ or the salvation by His precious blood?

Would it surprise you if you know that he considers Jesus, Mohamed, Budda, and whoever else on the same level?

Do you actually know John Paul II ? Because if you do, kissing the Quran is very much expected from the previous bishop of Rome.

I actually would be surprised to know that?  If you get the time would you mind providing these sources? Likewise can you provide the quote of him considering Jesus, Mohammed, and Buddah equals.  Generally speaking, Buddists consider Buddah their God, as we consider Jesus ours?  I'm not sure if that's what he meant by it, but if he did mean that, does that make him a heretic for pointing out the obvious- yes in fact, Buddah is God to them, as Christ is God to us.  We know our God to be true, however that doesnt mean, they know it/accept it?

The man is a mess and the worst figure in the West in the 20th century. The damage he did to the Latins is beyond repair.

That's quite an interesting point of view.  I've rarely heard of JPII opponents, infact the Orthodox Bishops I know seem to be fond of the previous pope.  Some of them even have on display pictures of them kissing his hand.  Does that make them fellow-heretics?

No, we should and we are very much entitled to point out that this act is despicable, regardless of the fact that it comes from a latin so-called catholic.

Not everyone is as clever or as crafty as our Pope.  Numerous times has he been put on the spot, in a position that could cause great damages between Christians and Muslims, and he's managed to get out of it using simply his words.  When someone praises Islam as a beautiful religion, or as a religion of peace [when we all know that that's not necessarily true] does that make him a liar?  Are simple words [or in Pope JPII's case, actions] evidence enough for condemnation as a betrayer of Christianity?

I
  • A while back Ole Johnny boy placed an idol of buddha on the altar of a church in Asissi. Absolutely unacceptable.

We kiss the bible as an act of love, and saying that we are submitting to its teachings. Kissing the Koran? Whats the purpose of that? It is not divinely inspired, it is not holy, it is not truth. May God have mercy on that heretical mans soul.
  • i dont think we should be worrying about it bc were making a big deal over nothing.
    maybe he was smelling it or something. lol. jk
  • Not to be judging or anything but this is just one of a million examples of the lack of loyalty and respect they have for the Almighty God who created them
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=9490.msg117017#msg117017 date=1280004063]
    Not to be judging or anything but this is just one of a million examples of the lack of loyalty and respect they have for the Almighty God who created them

They think that they ARE God, atleast the pope of rome. I think it was at the council of florence, I could be wrong about which council, that the pope declared that he was the "way the truth and the light". I believe that was the same council that the immaculate conception was accepted as dogma.
  • [quote author=Stavro link=topic=9490.msg116974#msg116974 date=1279918822]
    Would you be surpised to know that John Paul II does not think too much about the blood of Christ or the salvation by His precious blood?

We all know very well how Christian this man was, he was [in my opinion, at least] a great representative of Christianity.

We also shouldn't pass judgment on him.

I mean most of us would've been saying the same thing to St. Peter, when he denied Christ.

No, we would not.

I had no idea of this. I thought he kissed the Quran as a gesture of it containing some good things there (I.e. the non-sexual, non-pedophilic stuff in there) Right?

Gosh! What a strange Church!!
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9490.msg116947#msg116947 date=1279883722]
    Whoever said that to you is talking dangerous rubbish. There are reasons to be critical of some aspects of Catholic teaching and practice but no need to make up lies. Catholics have suffered as much at the hands of Muslims as Orthodox.

I didn't mean the Church itself, but, perhaps, some circles in the Vatican?! The Catholic church is too freindly towards the Islamic faith.  I am thinking specifically of the Catechism's passage on the Church's relations with Islam, which, along with the rest of the Catechism. Here it is:

"The Moslems, "professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who at the last day wiill judge mankind" (Lumen Gentium 16). Though the Islamic faith does not acknowledge Jesus as God, it does revere Him as prophet, and also honors His virgin mother. Moslems "prize the moral life, and give worship to God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting" (Nostra Aetate 3). Noting that there had been many quarrels and hostilies between Christians and Muslims, the Second Vatican Council urged that all "forget the past and strive sincerely for mutual understanding, and, on the behalf of all mankind, make common cause of safeguarding and fostering social justice, moral values, peace, and freedom"
    (Nostra Aetate 3).
  • Ioannes,

I believe the Immaculate Conception was a product of Vatican I.
  • [quote author=Melchoir link=topic=9490.msg117110#msg117110 date=1280237167]
    [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9490.msg116947#msg116947 date=1279883722]
    Whoever said that to you is talking dangerous rubbish. There are reasons to be critical of some aspects of Catholic teaching and practice but no need to make up lies. Catholics have suffered as much at the hands of Muslims as Orthodox.

I didn't mean the Church itself, but, perhaps, some circles in the Vatican?! The Catholic church is too freindly towards the Islamic faith.  I am thinking specifically of the Catechism's passage on the Church's relations with Islam, which, along with the rest of the Catechism. Here it is:

"The Moslems, "professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who at the last day wiill judge mankind" (Lumen Gentium 16). Though the Islamic faith does not acknowledge Jesus as God, it does revere Him as prophet, and also honors His virgin mother. Moslems "prize the moral life, and give worship to God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting" (Nostra Aetate 3). Noting that there had been many quarrels and hostilies between Christians and Muslims, the Second Vatican Council urged that all "forget the past and strive sincerely for mutual understanding, and, on the behalf of all mankind, make common cause of safeguarding and fostering social justice, moral values, peace, and freedom"
    (Nostra Aetate 3).

Well. the current catholic pontiff is dead against Turkey joining the EU to avoid Islam coming into Europe. He is clear that such integration will not be compatible with Europe's Christian heritage.

I'm pretty sure kissing the quran was a publicity stunt to appease some muslims. No??

• Was Judas kiss a publicity stunt?

Was Peter's denial a publicity stunt?

I disagree vehemently.
  • I think this is as ridiculous as offering incense to idols which our forefathers refused to do even when it cost them their life.
  • I believe some notable saints were asked to do that simple task to avoid martyrdom, and they said "no".

Do we remember:  St. George, St. Mina, St. Mercurius, St. Julianna, St. Demiana, St. Marina?  They were foolish [sarcasm] they decided to die rather than offer incense or bow.
  • I second that immensely to the point of non existence. LOL.
  • Don't forget that on MANY occasions our Pope has cited verses from the Quran..

now, evidently he doens't believe the Quran to be an authoritive source, yet when speaking to Muslims, he uses what they consider to be the word of God.. (which somehow is strange, since using something as an argument, usually means you yourself believe in it, but in the complexity of Egyptian religio-politics, all is possible, I guess)

This is not in the defence of Pope John Paul II (although I believe it is incredibly shameful how some people on this forum refer to him with a complete lack of respect, if not for his person, at least for his position) but we need to see things in perspective always, our Pope does hug and kiss the Sheikh of the Azhar institution, does that mean he agrees with what this Sheikh teaches? or does it mean that he wants to support the more moderate Islam that Al Azhar puts forward..?

Sometimes it's better to try to focus on similarities instead of always highlighting differences, if it weren't for the diplamacy with which our Pope has conducted himself in the past decades, Egypt could have been far worse off than it already is.
  • [quote author=Godislove260 link=topic=9490.msg117174#msg117174 date=1280328503]
    Don't forget that on MANY occasions our Pope has cited verses from the Quran..

now, evidently he doens't believe the Quran to be an authoritive source, yet when speaking to Muslims, he uses what they consider to be the word of God.. (which somehow is strange, since using something as an argument, usually means you yourself believe in it, but in the complexity of Egyptian religio-politics, all is possible, I guess)

This is not in the defence of Pope John Paul II (although I believe it is incredibly shameful how some people on this forum refer to him with a complete lack of respect, if not for his person, at least for his position) but we need to see things in perspective always, our Pope does hug and kiss the Sheikh of the Azhar institution, does that mean he agrees with what this Sheikh teaches? or does it mean that he wants to support the more moderate Islam that Al Azhar puts forward..?

Sometimes it's better to try to focus on similarities instead of always highlighting differences, if it weren't for the diplamacy with which our Pope has conducted himself in the past decades, Egypt could have been far worse off than it already is.

There's a difference between man and doctrines. When the POpe hugs and kisses the Sheihk it is because he loves man, because Christians are supposed to love all man. When the Pope kisses a book that is full of false doctrines, it is showing love or respect to the false doctrines, which isn't really what a Christian is supposed to be doing.
  • Godislove260,

Offering veneration to the koran is not the same thing as quoting some things from it.  One will remember that 3/8 of the koran is taken from the Bible.  There is some commonality in a vague sense.  I will quote Shakespeare, does that make me Shakespearean?  If I read a fortune cookie in a Chinese Restaurant, does that make me an adherent of Confuscism?

To state that is 'divinely inspired' is to put it in the same regard as the Bible.  That is what John Paul II did.

Your examples and distinctions do not follow with the gravity of the situation that happened.  It was a destructive act that carried with it ramifications to the Coptic Church.  What will happen if the same book is presented to Pope Shenouda to kiss?  A terrible precedence has been set.  That is the issue.
  • That particular picture was one reason I left the RCC! JP2 was beloved by many religous leaders world-wise. He was a gentle man but kissing the quran was just too much for me. I wouldn't be surprised if the Islamic world exploited the pic as proof of supposed 'islamic superiority'. I haven't seen a muslim cleric kiss a Bible yet! As supposedly 'diplomatic"' it was, I agree with Abouna Peter, that it wasn't a good move. I don't venerate what I don't hold as holy. The quran is not holy thus why kiss it?
  • Boricua_Orthodox,

There are newspapers in Egypt that reported that John Paul II had accepted Islam, relative to pictures like that one.  I believe the same veiled comments were also on some television broadcast in Egypt.