Being Scared?!?!?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
I know this is going to sound silly but ...... I am a 21 year old female that still scared of the dark, and get scared when watchs scarey movies :(
How can I solve that?
I am tired of this feeling.
Thanks,
bentBABAyaooa`

Comments

• ohh... to the point that some nights I can NOT sleep, and some nights I get nightmares :(
  • you should read some psalms

famous ones are psalm 91 and psalm 27

however I am still afraid of snakes..

• Hey bentyasoo3
    I would relate to the same problem when I was in Egypt.  I would really be scared from the dark to a point that I can't sleep on my own. Thank the Lord this does not happen anymore.

Three things that you can start with
    1- You mentioned the first part you question unintentionally

and get scared when watchs scarey movies

Then do not watch scarry movies. I remember my Abona was talking about scary movies and they said that these scary movies have an after effect which is making us feel scared.

2- the second thing is to pray before sleep.
    In the beginning you may feel scared while praying but after that God will help you and you willl feel much safer.

3- The third thing is to remember the many verses from the Bible about God telling us not to be afraid.
    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
    "But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." Isaiah 43:1

Go bless. Hope this would help
  • i used to be scared of the dark untill one night my brother shut the door locked it and i couldnt reach the light switch when i was small so i sat in my room TOTAL darkness and slept fine.... its all the matter of repitition untill you get used to the dark, if u get scared of watching scary movies, just watch them more lol you cant really pray about not being scared to watch a scary movie in which there will be cursing and violence (i dont think God supports that lol). so all you should do is push urself to keep doing it untill one day you become used to it.
  • I really suggest you to NOT watch scary movies if they've effect on you like that... It's gonna be pretty logical to be scared after that and always check the places the "bad guy in the film" was being hidden. :P
    You'll get over it by time when you'll notice "What am I doing? I'm a courageous and braveheart" (not really but..   ::)).

So, general speaking, avoid watching scary movies and do the sign of the cross when you're going to dark places.

May God bless you.
  • you cant really pray about not being scared to watch a scary movie in which there will be cursing and violence (i dont think God supports that lol). so all you should do is push urself to keep doing it untill one day you become used to it.

I apologize if I was not clear enough
    I did not mean pray about being scared from scary movies i meant pray in general
  • you know when something sudden happens and the older adults all say "bsm el saleeb"... well there's wisdom to that! The cross is a sign of strength and salvation so use it. whenever you're scared, do the sign of the cross and your fear will vanish.

i'm telling you this from my own experience. When i was younger, i'd get scared very easily and then my mom told me to say 'bsm el saleeb' whenever i got scared. at first i'd laugh when she said that and brush it off but then i tried it... and it works! God just takes over and fills you with peace.

So next time, before you enter a dark room, say 'bsm el saleeb' and then give your eyes time to adjust before taking anymore steps forward. God created the eyes such that they dilate when exposed to darkness so they gather as much light as possible. If you just wait a little bit your eyes will do that and you'll be able to see a little despite the darkness.

Besides, "If God is for us, who shall be against us?" so don't let ANYTHING scare you at all :)
  • Get a big Cross and  make the sign, pray and bless in all 4 directions before you sleep. That is how i managed to have a peaceful night in a place where snakes (a remote area in Arizona) were run rampant.try and you will see the power of the cross.
  • also trust that God will never let you be destroyed by the evil one and will always be with you in any difficult situation.
    if you read the book of phillipians or the psalms of the 12th hour, this will help.
    i used to be scared because i had lots of unpleasant thoughts and dreams at night, now i know that if i am somewhere with a bad atmosphere, i can sleep in peace because i trust in God. last night i was visiting someone who very stressed and emotional but i slept nearly 9 hours, alhamdulilah
  • how do you bless the four corners???????????/
  • we all get scared... its jsut different things scare us. You may be scared of watching scary movies, while for someone else, movies arent enough to scare him/her, another person maybe scared of walking alone in the middle of the night in a very dangerous area. Its all a matter of psychology, its the way you think, if you think when you watch scary movies that something similar could happen to you, than your going to be afraid. I use to be afraid of watchin scary movies, especially ones like the excorsist since it IS something real that COULD happen to anyone, but thats before I got closer to God.

Now I actually LOVE watching scary movies because at the end of each one I know that the Lord is with me, I remember things in the Bible like the man who was possessed with several demons, but as soon as Christ came to the man, the demons were SORE afraid and BEGGED the Lord to let them out into the herd or pigs. Things like this remind me that Christ truly is the King, even the demons a fearful of His name, and this all powerful entity Loves me so much to the extent that He put himself on the cross for me. In other words, He truly is on my side, so WHOME shall I fear?
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=8560.msg108340#msg108340 date=1260655463]
    how do you bless the four corners???????????/

geomike, you just hold the cross and then do the sign of the cross saying 'In the name of the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit,one God, amen..oh Lord protect me from..." on all four corners. I started doing it ,when I spent time in rattle snake areas. Ever since,it has become a habit for me. I do it everyday.The cross I have is a big ethiopian metal cross that I got from a friend of mine.The size does not actually matter,but it gives you a sense of security.
  • My Abouna told me to do that too before I go to sleep... do the sign of the cross on all 4 corners of my room then all 4 corners of the bed and then around my head.
  • meena ameen, i think no-one should watch the exorcist, that sort of thing gives glory to demons. we should give glory to God, or watch films about nature or films with a message that say that we should care for people, or that being a criminal is not worth it.
    films like the exorcist are making fun of demon posession and treating it like it's some kind of entertainment. they definately don't help people to find God, but instead nuture unhealthy curiosity about demons.
    it reminds me of 2 peter 2 verses 10-11, talking about corrupt men who will suffer blackest darkness 'these people are bold enough to slander celestial beings, yet even angels... do not slander these beings', in other words, it's stupid to mess with the devil, and not surprising if it makes someone scared.
    yes, we know will have the victory, but we also have to live like Jesus. the two go together.
  • (Php 4:8)  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

We should be careful about the films we watch. We can easily find ourselves dulled and becoming used to sin. If the aim of the Christian life is the acquisition of the Holy Spirit then we should be careful not to watch things that will grieve the Spirit. That does not mean we should not watch action films, or exciting films, but I have never felt comfort in my heart from any horror film, and would not watch anything like that, nor ever encourage anyone else to. 

Of course some people find even action films rather frightening, and should take care as is appropriate to their situation. But any film dealing with demons or real evil should be avoided. We have only a few short years of this life. Let us make the most of it. I am now 46 and have still to make a real beginning in the Christian life, but those of you who are still young should seize every opportunity to grow closer to God and more pure hearted - the pure in heart shall see God.

Father Peter
  • Bentbabayasoaa  ;D ! HEYY =] longg time no talk  :)

i get scared of the darkk too & basically just keep saying the Lord's prayer and do the sign of the cross, it helps me  8)

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=Marmoura99 link=topic=8560.msg108251#msg108251 date=1260325456]
    you know when something sudden happens and the older adults all say "bsm el saleeb"... well there's wisdom to that! The cross is a sign of strength and salvation so use it. whenever you're scared, do the sign of the cross and your fear will vanish.

i'm telling you this from my own experience. When i was younger, i'd get scared very easily and then my mom told me to say 'bsm el saleeb' whenever i got scared. at first i'd laugh when she said that and brush it off but then i tried it... and it works! God just takes over and fills you with peace.

So next time, before you enter a dark room, say 'bsm el saleeb' and then give your eyes time to adjust before taking anymore steps forward. God created the eyes such that they dilate when exposed to darkness so they gather as much light as possible. If you just wait a little bit your eyes will do that and you'll be able to see a little despite the darkness.

Besides, "If God is for us, who shall be against us?" so don't let ANYTHING scare you at all :)

iT IS NOT JUST THAT, BUT IT ALSO DRIVES AWAY THE BAD STUFF.

[quote author=mabsoota link=topic=8560.msg108339#msg108339 date=1260654299]
    also trust that God will never let you be destroyed by the evil one and will always be with you in any difficult situation.
    if you read the book of phillipians or the psalms of the 12th hour, this will help.
    i used to be scared because i had lots of unpleasant thoughts and dreams at night, now i know that if i am somewhere with a bad atmosphere, i can sleep in peace because i trust in God. last night i was visiting someone who very stressed and emotional but i slept nearly 9 hours, alhamdulilah

i NEED TO TRY THAT ONE ;) THANKS.

[quote author=mahraeel link=topic=8560.msg108376#msg108376 date=1260735095]
    Bentbabayasoaa  ;D ! HEYY =] longg time no talk  :)

i get scared of the darkk too & basically just keep saying the Lord's prayer and do the sign of the cross, it helps me  8)

+mahraeel+

HEY MAHRAEEL! :) YEAH LONG TIME NO TALK.  tThe sign of the cross is very powerfull.

THank you all, I will try to pray more often before I sleep, and thanks for those who suggested do the sign of the cross.  God Bless.