Jesus family tree

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi everybody,

I have a question if anyone can help me with the answer. There are 2 different family trees for Jesus mentionned in Mat 1:1-17 and Luc
3:23-38. Does anyone know how can it be?

Thank you all in advance.

Pray for me.

KF

Comments

• If you actually compare the two geneologies, they are essentially the same. The geneology taken from the gospel of St. Matthew strarts from our father Abraham and works his way down all the way to the birth of our Lord to prove His royalty as the true King as the Son of David (verse 1). In the gospel of St. Luke, it begins with Jesus and mentions every generation and every birth that proceeded Christ's to prove His Divinity as the Son of God (verse 38). So essentially they are the same, in different order, and to different length of history lesson. :) hope this makes sense...or is even right.
    - Mary
  • Hi Mary,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I know the geneologies are in opposite order that's OK but what I mean is there are some differences which I can not understand like for example from Mat 1:16 we see that Jacob was the father of Joseph the carpenter while in Luke 3:23 Joseph the carpenter is the son of Hali and not Jacob. Did you see what I mean?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you and may God bless you.

Pray for me.

KF
  • hey
    i looked this up in my bible and they have a foot note concerning this and i just htought it may help:
    "Heli may have been Jsephs' father-in-law. If that were the case, this would be Mary's genealogy that Luke may have received personally from her. It is fitting that Luke would show Mary's genealogy becaus of the prominence he gives women in his gospel."
    and also:
    "Matthew's genealogy goes back to Abraham and shows that Jesus was related to all Jews. Luke's genealogy goes back to Adam, showing that Jesus is related to all human beings. This is consistent with Luke's picture fo Jesus as teh Savior of the whole world."

I also found this footnote interesting concerning Matthews genealogy:
    God's work in history is not limited by human failures or sins, and he works through ordinary people. Just as God used all kinds of people to bring his Son into the world, he uses all kinds today to accomplish his will. And God wants to use you.

Mathew gives Jesus' legal or royal lineage through Joseph. Mary's ancestral line is recorded in Luke. Both Mary and Joseph were direct descednatns of David

Mathew also wrote to the Jews, so he traced Jesus back to their father, Abraham while Luke wrote to teh gentiles, tracing His life back to Adam to emphasize Jesus as the Savior of all people.

Hope this helped you out a bit
  • Thank you SMS. This helped me a lot because I had a discussion with a non-Christian who asked me this question and I could not answer him. (Even non-Christian study the Bible to attack it).

Thank you and may God bless you.

KF
  • It was my pleasure!
    Those foot notes help A LOT!!!
    i know wut u mean bout the non christians... thats y i use the foot notes ;D
    just watch out n now how to hold on to ur beliefs! ;)
  • hi
    there is something more Important
    In the old Testement there is somethimg that says that if any man died without any children, his brother should take his wife and get Children for his brother.
    Matthew says the name of the trace of the UNREAL fathers but Luke says the trace of the REAL Fathers,
    because Mathew talks to the Jew through their Religion, but Luke talks to the Whole World so he sas the REAL Fathers.
    Pray 4 me.
  • Thank you Fadyna33.

May God bless you.

Pray for me.

KF