Martial Arts

2»

Comments

• [quote author=the_least link=topic=7498.msg103158#msg103158 date=1242420262]
    and KIMO MAXIMUS, thanks for this advice below

[quote author=KIMO MAXIMUS link=topic=7498.msg103137#msg103137 date=1242395577]
    those who criticised his comment, instead of criticising next time, please respond with a suggestion to change this attitude.

sometimes you need more then one statement about one person to give a clear helpful advice.
  • guys, didn't u notice GArgiriadis was being sarcastic?
    he has a point, though. if one person disagrees with another, that's ok, it's why we have discussion. but when lots of people start disagreeing with one person, it might get a bit intimidating for that person.
    kimo maximus had a good point too, give advice as well as criticising. if u don't know much about the person, you can give general advice.
  • :-[ Mabsoota is right, and I apologise for my sarcasm.  I had it in mind to try to lighten things up, but was horribly unsuccessful.  It just really burns me how quick some of our fellow Christians are to judge.  Not only that, but if it is so easy for them to say to a fellow Christian that s/he has no faith in God, I seriously doubt that they are representing Christ in a loving way to our brothers and sisters who are far from God's grace.

On the other hand, I guess I'm guilty of the same offence.  I read something I believe to be harmful and reacted before composing myself in order to act in a loving way as Jesus would.  i'm sorry for that.

If we recall the context of epshiri's response, the discussion had fallen to the subject of weather it is wrong to defend yourself.  He conceded that God taught us better ("Turn the other cheek" et. al.) but also said that he would defend himself in an other-than-ideal situation.  So far I saw no problem at all in what he said.  At my level of spiritual development, I would be able to take a very small amount of verbal abuse, and maybe a shove or two while turning the other cheek and praying for the wellbeing of my attacker; I don't think I would be so graceful if it was a kid or loved one being shoved around.  I don't justify my imperfections Biblically.  If I were Anba Kyrollos and I saw my Fiancee getting mugged, I might raise my hands in prayer and the assailant might suddenly fall to his knees in tearful repentance.  Unfortunately, I'm not Anba Kyrollos, I'm me . . . I would flip my pancakes, and do everything in my power to get my fiancee out of danger.  There may be some here at a higher spiritual level than either myself, or epshiri, but if anyone here wants to claim they would allow anything to happen to themselves and/or loved ones without losing their spiritual composure, I don't believe them for a New York second.

The only thing disagreeable in his statement was the whole "do you follow all the bible?" thing.  Being imperfect doesn't justify acting contrary to God's word, but we are not justified in God's word; we are justified in his mercy.  We all fall short of the glory of God, but we are all cleaned in the blood of the Lamb.  He who is forgiven much loves much and therefore follows His Word.  I can reason out and say what I just said, but I'm having serious trouble really understanding it.  Ten again, anyone who claims to really understand and practice those concepts is lying their guts out.

I've been a student of Aikido for a few years (on and off) and my understanding of the fuction and purpose of studying the martial arts is to practice being in those extreme circumstances and keeping your head.  The ideal outcome (as understood by this martial artist) is to emerge from the situation having turned the assailant into a friend without throwing a punch.  (Anba Kyrollos must be a pretty awesome martial artist huh?) 

I do realize that there are plenty of schools of martial arts out there that teach that a good defence requires a better offence; those same people may also believe that a gun is a defensive tool and other such nonsense.  I agree that if anyone is interested in martial arts, they should watch out for those schools, but there are schools that teach better.

If you're interested in a phylosophical oddity, check out Yeshua-do.  http://www.yeshua-do.com/jom/

George
  • [quote author=the_least link=topic=7498.msg103158#msg103158 date=1242420262]
    If you follow the bible completely, then sure you wouldnt be put into such situations where you would be beaten up.

i don't quite agree with this statement. in fact, i think the opposite is true. i think the more you follow the Bible, the more tribulations you'll face. they might not necessarily be getting beaten up, but it is a possibility. Look at the martyrs and how much persecution they faced. Consider these verses:

Matthew 5:11-12
    11 “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Luke 6:22-23
           22 Blessed are you when men hate you,
    And when they exclude you,
    And revile you, and cast out your name as evil,
    For the Son of Man’s sake.
           23 Rejoice in that day and leap for joy!
    For indeed your reward is great in heaven,
    For in like manner their fathers did to the prophets.

Romans 5:3-5
    3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

2 Corinthians 12:10
    Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

and KIMO MAXIMUS, thanks for this advice below

those who criticised his comment, instead of criticising next time, please respond with a suggestion to change this attitude.

hmm i agree
  • [quote author=GArgiriadis link=topic=7498.msg103191#msg103191 date=1242537548]
    If you're interested in a phylosophical oddity, check out Yeshua-do.  http://www.yeshua-do.com/jom/
    George

Everyone should see the link GArgiriadis posted. It's a real oddity.

In Christ
    Theophilus

• yup. someone has invented a Christian martial art!
    check this as well,

i'm on lunch break at work, don't have sound on this. so all i can see is a guy with a pretty big sword.
    not sure this is one u should try at home  ;)  but i wouldn't be 2 negative without further info.