Innocent sin?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Well there u have it, is a sin a sin if you don't know its wrong, and when u find out its wrong, u stop doing it?
Huh?!

Comments

• yes it is, but as soon as u find out it is a sin, confess
  • I think it is a sin.....but you wont be judged the same as a person that knows...less judgment i think...

like the Gentiles even though they didnt know the Jewish law but every1 has a concsience inside of them...so they know good from evil/right from wrong...
    "For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law" Romans 2:12

and when u find out its wrong and stop...just go confess (as Maxwell already said) and all your sins which you did knowingly or unknowingly (as we say in the agbeya "holy..holy ..holy lord...etc) will be washed away with the precious blood of Christ
  • its is a sin, but it is not counted on you because you didnt know. but when you find out and u still do it, that is even a bigger sin.
  • the best thing to do is to give an example!
    coz i kindaof understand it...
    sanks
  • if you don't know it's a sin and God's not going to count it against you, but then again it's not up to us to decide what God's is going to count against us on judgment day.
  • Hi Princess Marmar91,

If you are doing something and you are unaware that it is a sin, there is still some conscience inside of you that helps you to differentiate, what is good from what is bad (thats what i think), there should be some sense of guilt inside of you when you do something wrong. (this is what would usually lead you afterwards to discovering that it is a sin and its wrong)

I think you still should confess whether you did it knowingly or not, because later on, though you may have stopped the sin now or for a while, or think you may never do it again, later on you might end up doing the same sin again.

(and even if you dont have to confess) what would you be losing if you do?, better to be safe then sorry, be on the safe side :)
  • well im with u..i hate confessing embarassing stuff too..its really hard....but it makes me feel better than living with the guilt of not confessing it..... ::)
  • i guess that theres circumstances,
    u cant say u did not know only in certain things lets say like stealing,

u were little lets say, maybe u didnt know the 10 commandments but if u were old enough to know it would not be approved of if ur mom knew so u hide it then its a sin, u had the feeling if not the knowelage, u had a conscience.

however in another circumstance if u were in a store and u took soething that amused u and just went out with it not having a clue what ur doing then its not. And sometimes it would land on ur parents, they should have returned it.

im not sure if this is what ur talking about, i guess im stuck on infancy. If u mean at the age u are now then
    i suppose in some ways its on the same lines. maybe the knowlege was not available, but sometimes u dont need lecture but a feeling. But if u found out something uv been doing was wrong and it comes like a surprise, like swoosh over ur head, never would have known and u feel guilty, then ur good.

guilty feeling is good to have, making up excuses for ur mistake is like pride.
  • Hey Marmar,

In the Agpeya, we pray, "Holy, Holy, Holy....... Absolve, forgive, and remit, O God, our transgressions; those which we have committed willingly and those we have committed unwillingly: those which we have committed knowingly and those which we have committed unknowingly, the hidden and the manifest, O Lord forgive us, for the sake of your Holy name which is called upon us."

I think that this means even though we committed a transgression unknowingly or knowingly, we are asking for forgiveness and absolution. And don't we ask for forgiveness by confessing to abouna? So I'm guessing that since is says "knowingly AND unknowingly", we'd go about it in the same manner...