Blessed Is He Who Comes in the Name Of The Lord?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Agape,

I was just hoping someone could answer me a very important question. 

Does anyone know how many times, according to the rite and traditions (tux of the church), we are supposed to say "mobarak el atee be ism el rab." thats blessed is he who comes in the name of the lord during communion. So when abouna distributes the body and takes out the blood, is everyone supposed to say it again for the blood.  Also, DO WE STOP THE CHANTING AND SAY MOBARAK EL ATEE BE ISM EL RAB?

How do you guys do it at your churches?

And I hope whoever answers is familiar with the rites and traditions.

D. Naam

Comments

• I heard the following explanation before from my hymns teacher:

the deacons enter and take communion first and the deacon who said the confession stands inbetween abouna and the people. This is a symbol of the angel who guarded the tree of life in paradise (Christ being the true tree of life, placed on the real paradise which is the sanctuary).
    Now, as soon as abouna holds up the Holy Body the people respond and say: Blessed...this means they accept Christ as Lord and Saviour and are ready to take communion. Abouna does this two times (cant remember why, but he says something in greek when he turns around). So people respond twice with blessed...
    Now, as soon as this whole scene occures, the deacon does not stand anymore inbetween the holy communion and the people! For Christ has taken down the wall of seperation and old enmity, and the people have accepted this redeeming work, being free to be united to Christ by taking his Body and Blood.

Hope this was helpfull
  • According to Bishop Mettaous' book on the rites of Holy Liturgy the people say out loud "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord" only with the Body and it does not specify how many times nor does it say the congregation must stop singing. So according to the rites it only must be said once. At most churches however it is said many times and the congregation stops chanting, i think this has become the general practice. I also agree with what Hos Erof said
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7056.msg93897#msg93897 date=1219186910]
    According to Bishop Mettaous' book on the rites of Holy Liturgy the people say out loud "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord" only with the Body and it does not specify how many times nor does it say the congregation must stop singing. So according to the rites it only must be said once. At most churches however it is said many times and the congregation stops chanting, i think this has become the general practice. I also agree with what Hos Erof said

well i agree with both. just adding that abouna turns the body 2 times, once from the right and back, and then from the left. so the people answer 2 times.
  • Thank You Guys,

How do you guys do this in your churches?

also, i am trying to find out if the chanting stops or not?

I really appreciate your time.

Dave
  • [quote author=egydave link=topic=7056.msg93908#msg93908 date=1219245761]
    Thank You Guys,

How do you guys do this in your churches?

also, i am trying to find out if the chanting stops or not?

I really appreciate your time.

Dave

it stops since Christ was already revealed to the world when abouna turned around and showed the Body to the people. some deacons go around and say "Blessed..." around when the priest goin to the men or women to give communion......but that is not really needed. especially when the original way of giving commuion to people is on the step of the altar or outside.
  • Blessed Is He Who Comes in the Name Of The Lord

What does that mean exactly?  :-[