The responsibilities of a sunday school teacher

Brothers and sisters in Christ,

We all ( hopefully ) still remember what sunday school was like when we were little and how much the teacher made us love sunday school and love coming to church.
They come to your house and ask about you if you didnt come, They give you presents and Pictures for being good. etc....

I want to know the reason why Sunday School Classes' Egyptian Style in Forgine countries Changed??

Also, What can a sunday school teacher do to get a child more into the lesson and the church???

I have been a SundaySchool teacher for almost 2 yrs now ( Some of you think "what a shame" but it is ok, I do NOT blame you!) and what I do to get the kids more into the lesson is I bring Story books and/or act the story out. We ( my church ) use to get presents to the children every month, but now abona says it is wrong to do so eventhough it was his idea.

How can I reward the kids?

I teach the angels class ( fasl el malaeka)

Pray for me,

Comments

• Bentbabayasooa,

Rewarding your students by giving them presents might not be the best way to approach the problem because the kids will tend to concentrate on the prize and forget what was the reason they got the present. They will be too focused on materialistic items, and by living in the west they are already exposed to the capitalist/money hungry society. Being a Sunday school teacher myself, I too was faced with this dilemma because I wanted to make Sunday school fun and at the same time I wanted to reward them.

Here are some techniques I use and hopefully they will be helpful to you:

I usually reward my students by providing crafts that is relatively related to the lesson. That way the kids will remember the lesson every time they look at the object they made, and the kids for the most part love crafts.

Another thing that I do to reward my students is to have little parties for them (usually during holidays). I choose a specific theme, give them the lesson on it, and provide a movie, games, crafts, and food. Some of the themes that I have done with my kids included; the ten commandments, Christmas, Easter, prayer, fasting, communion, etc.

You can always reward students without really giving them things. For instance if a specific child did something noteworthy then you can give him/her special recognition. You can make them your special partner during the class. You can tell their parents how great their child was in Sunday school, and make sure the child is present because the purpose is to show the child that you really appreciated what they did. And sometimes you can throw in a chocolate bar.

-On a side note, I would highly recommend that you visit the kids in their homes and check up on them regularly. Every time I go to a child’s house they are smitten with joy, and although the children will probably forget every lesson you give them, they will never forget the little acts of kindness.

In His Name
  • [quote author=joyisgod link=board=4;threadid=4712;start=0#msg64292 date=1165135038]
    Bentbabayasooa,

Rewarding your students by giving them presents might not be the best way to approach the problem because the kids will tend to concentrate on the prize and forget what was the reason they got the present. They will be too focused on materialistic items, and by living in the west they are already exposed to the capitalist/money hungry society. Being a Sunday school teacher myself, I too was faced with this dilemma because I wanted to make Sunday school fun and at the same time I wanted to reward them.

That is exactly what abona said. He was like "If we are at the point to give them presents, then try to make that present something religous."
    However, it is impossible to find a religous toy with a good price.
    Where can I get religous toys???

[quote author=joyisgod link=board=4;threadid=4712;start=0#msg64292 date=1165135038]

I usually reward my students by providing crafts that is relatively related to the lesson. That way the kids will remember the lesson every time they look at the object they made, and the kids for the most part love crafts.

Do you mean COLOR? Have religous picture that represents the Lesson and color the picture? I used to do that but they never bring the picture back. Well, some of them do! and I am a good artist, I used to draw them myself.

[quote author=joyisgod link=board=4;threadid=4712;start=0#msg64292 date=1165135038]

Another thing that I do to reward my students is to have little parties for them (usually during holidays). I choose a specific theme, give them the lesson on it, and provide a movie, games, crafts, and food. Some of the themes that I have done with my kids included; the ten commandments, Christmas, Easter, prayer, fasting, communion, etc.

In His Name

I do that, We had a party last week in a matter of fact.

You can always reward students without really giving them things. For instance if a specific child did something noteworthy then you can give him/her special recognition. You can make them your special partner during the class. You can tell their parents how great their child was in Sunday school, and make sure the child is present because the purpose is to show the child that you really appreciated what they did. And sometimes you can throw in a chocolate bar.

I do that as well, parents give extra attention when the child is there.
    Haven't thought about the candy!!!

-On a side note, I would highly recommend that you visit the kids in their homes and check up on them regularly. Every time I go to a child’s house they are smitten with joy, and although the children will probably forget every lesson you give them, they will never forget the little acts of kindness.

That is impossible, where I live! In-order to find a time that would best suits me and the child's parents because of my school work and their work. It is kind a of hard to accomplish!

But it is a good idea, I will see what abona says about it!

True, what you said! Now, that I am an adult. I do forgot the lessons I took; however, I didn't forget how my teachers came and visited me at home!

Thank you sooo much joyisgod,
    I will suggest that to my partner, and see what we can do!
  • However, it is impossible to find a religous toy with a good price. Where can I get religous toys???

It does not have to be a toy per se, but if you are determined to give them presents then you can give them a religious cartoon, a picture book, saints pictures, and crosses always make good gifts. You might be able to find these sorts of items at your churches bookstore and if your church does not have one then you might look into Christian bookstores in your area.

Do you mean COLOR? Have religous picture that represents the Lesson and color the picture?

No, I mean crafts as in arts and crafts. Crafts is basically taking different things and creating something new out of it. For example when I gave a lesson on angels the activity was for the kids to make angels. When I gave them the lesson on David and Goliath, I had them make sling shots (yes they were safe) and a cardboard picture of Goliath. Just random activities that the children can make, that corresponds with the lesson. The kids love crafts because they can show it off and they put it in their rooms.

That is impossible, where I live! In-order to find a time that would best suits me and the child's parents because of my school work and their work. It is kind a of hard to accomplish!

I know that it is very difficult to balance schoolwork, church and church activities, work, social life, etc. But honestly it really is worth it when you see the excitement on the kids faces. I too am going at a slow pace, but I try to visit 2 kids a month, which in reality is not that bad.

In His Name
  • Hi everyone,

Our sunday school teachers give from their blood. They're great. They were very strict with us when we were growing up, but we were very much loved.

As for presents, when we were 13 years old, they had a competition to see which one of us could learn the pslams off by heart. The prize was a fully paid vacation in Europe!

LOL...

Yeah.. i didnt win.. i mean at 13 years of age, i didnt really care much for the prize.

In Egypt, or in the diaspora, ANY Sunday School Teacher had the following verse on their sunday school book:

"Those which you have given me, not one has perished".

Then after this verse, the names of each child in the teacher's responsibility.
  • [quote author=joyisgod link=board=4;threadid=4712;start=0#msg64343 date=1165217699]

However, it is impossible to find a religous toy with a good price. Where can I get religous toys???

It does not have to be a toy per se, but if you are determined to give them presents then you can give them a religious cartoon, a picture book, saints pictures, and crosses always make good gifts. You might be able to find these sorts of items at your churches bookstore and if your church does not have one then you might look into Christian bookstores in your area.

My church is the only church that is in the area I live in, there are only 2 churchs in the state I live in, the other one is like 4/5 hours away.
    The church Bookstore, I think the sunday school teachers should have an access to it, but that is not how it goes in my church.

[quote author=joyisgod link=board=4;threadid=4712;start=0#msg64343 date=1165217699]

Do you mean COLOR? Have religous picture that represents the Lesson and color the picture?

No, I mean crafts as in arts and crafts. Crafts is basically taking different things and creating something new out of it. For example when I gave a lesson on angels the activity was for the kids to make angels. When I gave them the lesson on David and Goliath, I had them make sling shots (yes they were safe) and a cardboard picture of Goliath. Just random activities that the children can make, that corresponds with the lesson. The kids love crafts because they can show it off and they put it in their rooms.

That is not a bad Idea at all. It would be getting the children to do more than one thing at the same time........... #1. Pay attention #2 Remember the story, and #3 Have a Toy based on the story.

[quote author=joyisgod link=board=4;threadid=4712;start=0#msg64343 date=1165217699]

I know that it is very difficult to balance schoolwork, church and church activities, work, social life, etc. But honestly it really is worth it when you see the excitement on the kids faces. I too am going at a slow pace, but I try to visit 2 kids a month, which in reality is not that bad.

That is not a bad Idea at all.

Thank you sooo much for you Ideas, I realy appriciate it.

God Bless you my friend and brother/sister

As for presents, when we were 13 years old, they had a competition to see which one of us could learn the pslams off by heart. The prize was a fully paid vacation in Europe!

Nice Vas,
    Rewarding them, for remembering Verses or pslams

Thank you all,
    I am still open for ideas,
    Pray for me